Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Results 71 to 79 of 79

Thread: Justice

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Leaving the EUSSR
    Posts
    9,785
    Thanks
    2,219
    Thanked 2,035 Times in 1,580 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I thought you hated the thought of innocent lives being taken. These one or two would be your reason not to have a death sentence, in the first place, wouldn't it?
    Just in case you don't get me, you say that if you have a death penalty, an innocent person might die.
    Well an average of 4 innocent people died in prison over the last five years, because we didn't have a death sentence. So what do you think about that?
    What I think Barry is this,I've looked at various figures and info which is hard to find,some were prisoners murdered by prisoners not convicted of murder previously,of those murdered some were murderers themselves (whether that makes you happy or not I don't know but to be sure there are those who post on here I guess are)
    Some were previously convicted murderers who killed someone like themselves or just ordinary cons.

    And you are partly right I don't want to see an innocent killed but you miss out that I already stated it isn't our place IMO to take another's life after trial,sure someone can be killed during the execution of a crime or terrorism act to prevent a loss of life but not in he cold light of day.

    I have never been glad of another's death (and don't accuse you of doing so) and hope I never will I remember some on here celebrating Thatchers demise,I hated the old bat but whatever the case she was another human being,

    You have your religion and beliefs which I don't fully understand,I have my beliefs which evidently you don't understand either.
    To paraphase one of our last great political leaders Winston Spencer Churchill "Never in the field of British politics and Brexit was so much expected by so many of so few......only to be bitterly disappointed"

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,617
    Thanks
    574
    Thanked 149 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Thats's fine, understand them and then neck em.
    If only it were that simple.
    those princes have accomplished most who paid little heed to keeping their promises, but who knew how to manipulate the minds of men craftily.

    Machiavelli, The Prince

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,617
    Thanks
    574
    Thanked 149 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Know it View Post
    Harsh, but absolutely right. Anyway, there are numerous reasons why one person kills another, and keeping them all alive in the hope we can understand why is futile. In society we have good people, reasonable people, and bad people. It's unreasonable for the good and reasonable people to fund bad people indefinitely. I for one am quite happy to remove those who create problems and do not respond to rehabilitation. My belief is that our justice system should reflect what is best for society, not the individual, not his/her friends and family, but SOCIETY. Anybody who can kill another person intentionally (without legal justification) has no right to share our oxygen, they are an unnecessary cancer we can do without. Of course, their organs can be used to help others, so at least their legacy could come in handy.
    What is best for society is understanding the psychological illness that people have and preventing it. Prison/execution is in the long term futile, because if you don't know the cause, it will continue with the next person.
    those princes have accomplished most who paid little heed to keeping their promises, but who knew how to manipulate the minds of men craftily.

    Machiavelli, The Prince

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Southport
    Posts
    872
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 115 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scott777 View Post
    What is best for society is understanding the psychological illness that people have and preventing it. Prison/execution is in the long term futile, because if you don't know the cause, it will continue with the next person.
    I do understand your point but this is not I am legend. We are not trying to save the world from murderers, this is getting rid of bits of society that cannot be reintegrated and are therefore surplus to requirement.

    25 years ago a few privileged white adolescents killed a black kid by the name of Stephen for no reason other than he was black. Now I am a firm believer that no child is born a racist and that this was learned or copied behaviour but 100% they deserve Capital Punishment, I don’t wish to learn why they did it, I want the next racist murderer to learn what his fate is if he takes a life and therefore stop another innocent person from being murdered.

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Newport, South Wales
    Posts
    9,254
    Thanks
    1,552
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by scott777 View Post
    He's distantly familiar, but I don't see the link.
    "dancing the hemp fandango" was a phrase much loved of the patrician, i think the last use was where he suggested the chap he chose to be postmaster general in "going postal" would find himself doing it to pay for his many crimes against the state unless he took the job and beat the clacks (a semaphore signalling system)
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

    Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Newport, South Wales
    Posts
    9,254
    Thanks
    1,552
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by scott777 View Post
    That's true, but still the best solution is understanding why people do it. You can't do that if they're dead.
    i know why one man wants to do it. that's good enough for me.

    I want to see him dead before i am no longer around to do something about him making good on his promise.

    it's simple enlightened self interest.
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

    Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,617
    Thanks
    574
    Thanked 149 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I do understand your point but this is not I am legend. We are not trying to save the world from murderers, this is getting rid of bits of society that cannot be reintegrated and are therefore surplus to requirement.

    25 years ago a few privileged white adolescents killed a black kid by the name of Stephen for no reason other than he was black. Now I am a firm believer that no child is born a racist and that this was learned or copied behaviour but 100% they deserve Capital Punishment, I don’t wish to learn why they did it, I want the next racist murderer to learn what his fate is if he takes a life and therefore stop another innocent person from being murdered.
    Well that is the deterrent argument, but does it work? It seems 99% of crimes are committed by people who are convinced they will never be caught or are oblivious to the possibility.
    those princes have accomplished most who paid little heed to keeping their promises, but who knew how to manipulate the minds of men craftily.

    Machiavelli, The Prince

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,617
    Thanks
    574
    Thanked 149 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    "dancing the hemp fandango" was a phrase much loved of the patrician, i think the last use was where he suggested the chap he chose to be postmaster general in "going postal" would find himself doing it to pay for his many crimes against the state unless he took the job and beat the clacks (a semaphore signalling system)
    Cool. Without going too off topic, Pratchett was a childhood interest, but now I prefer writers like the great Arthur Machen, who called his home Gwent as it happens. Alas, before your time.
    those princes have accomplished most who paid little heed to keeping their promises, but who knew how to manipulate the minds of men craftily.

    Machiavelli, The Prince

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    980
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 42 Times in 36 Posts
    I just don't understand some people's thought process. To be against capital punishment because there is a small chance the wrong person is executed, is like being against driving because someone may get killed by an idiot coming the other way. Both would be unjust, but to out rule either is a bit daft. A quick and painless death is far more humane than locking someone up in an overpopulated prison full of maniacs is surely much nicer, let alone the added benefit of the financial savings to the tax payer. Many people believe that the murderer should be killed in a similar manner to the victim, but for me the humanity comes in by insuring the death is as pleasant as it possibly can be. As much as I look for a constructive argument against capital punishment, I genuinely can't see one.
    Keep Britain British, whoops, it's too late

Similar Threads

  1. Military Justice?
    By cromwell in forum War, Conflicts & Terrorism Forum
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: 17-05-2017, 03:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •