Thread: Labour threat to vote against Theresa May's Brexit plan

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Labour threat to vote against Theresa May's Brexit plan

The BBC reports Sir Keir Starmer attacks PM's Chequers plan, as Labour members prepare to debate a new referendum.

More...

Thanks
    Well you don't think for one minute that we wouldn't know new labour were stringing us all along do you?
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,228 Times in 897 Posts
    Labour MP's and indeed labour members seem to be increasingly pro EU . They have a problem though that the vast majority of the people that vote for them are pro Brexit . They have lost touch with reality which may bite them on the backside the next time we go to the polls .

On the other hand and to be fair I think I would vote against Mayhems Brexit plan , No deal anyone ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    Labour MP's and indeed labour members seem to be increasingly pro EU . They have a problem though that the vast majority of the people that vote for them are pro Brexit . They have lost touch with reality which may bite them on the backside the next time we go to the polls .

On the other hand and to be fair I think I would vote against Mayhems Brexit plan , No deal anyone ?
    You couldn't get a more unprincipled and untrustworthy bunch. They have absolutely no policy on Brexit other than to keep every possible option open while mouthing the mantra ' we will honour the 2016 referendum'.

Yes May's Chequers plan seems to be dead in the water but Labour's Brexit 'plan' is to remain in the single market, remain in the customs union, continue contributing to the EU coffers and remain subject to EU regulation in all things regarding the EU. Labour call this Brexit! Mind you if they thought it would win them an election they would adopt a 'No deal Brexit tomorrow and change their minds again the day after.

The only 'principle' which applies to Labour is their greed for power even if their route to achieving it is totally against the majority's view of what is in the nations interests.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Sinic View Post
    You couldn't get a more unprincipled and untrustworthy bunch.
    Well the Tories spring to mind, with Labour a long way second. (Or perhaps third if you put UKIP on the list.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Sinic View Post
    You couldn't get a more unprincipled and untrustworthy bunch. They have absolutely no policy on Brexit other than to keep every possible option open while mouthing the mantra ' we will honour the 2016 referendum'.

Yes May's Chequers plan seems to be dead in the water but Labour's Brexit 'plan' is to remain in the single market, remain in the customs union, continue contributing to the EU coffers and remain subject to EU regulation in all things regarding the EU. Labour call this Brexit! Mind you if they thought it would win them an election they would adopt a 'No deal Brexit tomorrow and change their minds again the day after.

The only 'principle' which applies to Labour is their greed for power even if their route to achieving it is totally against the majority's view of what is in the nations interests.
    But then that is what they all want,it is just a matter of New Labour carrying it out,so they look like the bad cop.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

Thanks
    Everyone says that the Tories are split over the EU, which I think is plain to see, but so are Labour, although they hide it somewhat better.

You have the Marxists whose totalitarian economy can not prosper under the EU, due to the need to open things up to competition. And then you have the liberals like Chuka Umunna who are so imbued with the EU, that they cannot see life without it. Corbyn/McDonnell have handled it quite well. They have not said that they are pro-EU, far from it. Their latest bit of ambiguity is by turning it round to the members. If they want this or that, we'll support them.

So the Labour leadership will vote against May, for one reason. Not because they disagree with leaving the EU, but to try and force a General Election (which they make no bones about being their preferred route in all this, over and above letting members decide). Which basically means that they are more than happy to take up the position of weakening the country and its future, for short term political gain. Is that what people really want?? Let's face it, the EU don't have to do anything in the negotiations, given that the House of Commons is shooting itself in the foot with this display of disunity, ably backed up by the Lords.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to boggart For This Useful Post:

Major Sinic (25-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,072 Times in 867 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevectaylor View Post
    The BBC reports Sir Keir Starmer attacks PM's Chequers plan, as Labour members prepare to debate a new referendum.

More...
    Does Mrs May have a plan?

She reminds me of the time I spent on a farm in Portugal. The farmer would squeeze the last drop of milk out of his cows. And then when they got too old and tired and befuddled to give any more, he would give them a pat and a special feed and lead them to a shed where the slaughterman was waiting.

I reckon the PM will get endless standing ovations at the forthcoming Tory party conference and then come April she will get a peerage and the sack.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post

She reminds me of the time I spent on a farm in Portugal. The farmer would squeeze the last drop of milk out of his cows. And then when they got too old and tired and befuddled to give any more, he would give them a pat and a special feed and lead them to a shed where the slaughterman was waiting.

A similar policy would make the Tory party conference look a lot younger.