Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Labour threat to vote against Theresa May's Brexit plan

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Derby, United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,890
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 40 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Labour threat to vote against Theresa May's Brexit plan

    The BBC reports Sir Keir Starmer attacks PM's Chequers plan, as Labour members prepare to debate a new referendum.


    More...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,800
    Thanks
    535
    Thanked 489 Times in 421 Posts
    Well you don't think for one minute that we wouldn't know new labour were stringing us all along do you?
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South London
    Posts
    8,229
    Thanks
    925
    Thanked 997 Times in 752 Posts
    Labour MP's and indeed labour members seem to be increasingly pro EU . They have a problem though that the vast majority of the people that vote for them are pro Brexit . They have lost touch with reality which may bite them on the backside the next time we go to the polls .

    On the other hand and to be fair I think I would vote against Mayhems Brexit plan , No deal anyone ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    2,318
    Thanks
    937
    Thanked 1,007 Times in 665 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    Labour MP's and indeed labour members seem to be increasingly pro EU . They have a problem though that the vast majority of the people that vote for them are pro Brexit . They have lost touch with reality which may bite them on the backside the next time we go to the polls .

    On the other hand and to be fair I think I would vote against Mayhems Brexit plan , No deal anyone ?
    You couldn't get a more unprincipled and untrustworthy bunch. They have absolutely no policy on Brexit other than to keep every possible option open while mouthing the mantra ' we will honour the 2016 referendum'.

    Yes May's Chequers plan seems to be dead in the water but Labour's Brexit 'plan' is to remain in the single market, remain in the customs union, continue contributing to the EU coffers and remain subject to EU regulation in all things regarding the EU. Labour call this Brexit! Mind you if they thought it would win them an election they would adopt a 'No deal Brexit tomorrow and change their minds again the day after.

    The only 'principle' which applies to Labour is their greed for power even if their route to achieving it is totally against the majority's view of what is in the nations interests.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,075
    Thanks
    294
    Thanked 380 Times in 330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Sinic View Post
    You couldn't get a more unprincipled and untrustworthy bunch.
    Well the Tories spring to mind, with Labour a long way second. (Or perhaps third if you put UKIP on the list.)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,800
    Thanks
    535
    Thanked 489 Times in 421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Sinic View Post
    You couldn't get a more unprincipled and untrustworthy bunch. They have absolutely no policy on Brexit other than to keep every possible option open while mouthing the mantra ' we will honour the 2016 referendum'.

    Yes May's Chequers plan seems to be dead in the water but Labour's Brexit 'plan' is to remain in the single market, remain in the customs union, continue contributing to the EU coffers and remain subject to EU regulation in all things regarding the EU. Labour call this Brexit! Mind you if they thought it would win them an election they would adopt a 'No deal Brexit tomorrow and change their minds again the day after.

    The only 'principle' which applies to Labour is their greed for power even if their route to achieving it is totally against the majority's view of what is in the nations interests.
    But then that is what they all want,it is just a matter of New Labour carrying it out,so they look like the bad cop.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,361
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 201 Times in 153 Posts
    Everyone says that the Tories are split over the EU, which I think is plain to see, but so are Labour, although they hide it somewhat better.

    You have the Marxists whose totalitarian economy can not prosper under the EU, due to the need to open things up to competition. And then you have the liberals like Chuka Umunna who are so imbued with the EU, that they cannot see life without it. Corbyn/McDonnell have handled it quite well. They have not said that they are pro-EU, far from it. Their latest bit of ambiguity is by turning it round to the members. If they want this or that, we'll support them.

    So the Labour leadership will vote against May, for one reason. Not because they disagree with leaving the EU, but to try and force a General Election (which they make no bones about being their preferred route in all this, over and above letting members decide). Which basically means that they are more than happy to take up the position of weakening the country and its future, for short term political gain. Is that what people really want?? Let's face it, the EU don't have to do anything in the negotiations, given that the House of Commons is shooting itself in the foot with this display of disunity, ably backed up by the Lords.
    Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to boggart For This Useful Post:

    Major Sinic (25-09-2018)

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,252
    Thanks
    868
    Thanked 679 Times in 572 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by stevectaylor View Post
    The BBC reports Sir Keir Starmer attacks PM's Chequers plan, as Labour members prepare to debate a new referendum.


    More...
    Does Mrs May have a plan?

    She reminds me of the time I spent on a farm in Portugal. The farmer would squeeze the last drop of milk out of his cows. And then when they got too old and tired and befuddled to give any more, he would give them a pat and a special feed and lead them to a shed where the slaughterman was waiting.

    I reckon the PM will get endless standing ovations at the forthcoming Tory party conference and then come April she will get a peerage and the sack.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,075
    Thanks
    294
    Thanked 380 Times in 330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post

    She reminds me of the time I spent on a farm in Portugal. The farmer would squeeze the last drop of milk out of his cows. And then when they got too old and tired and befuddled to give any more, he would give them a pat and a special feed and lead them to a shed where the slaughterman was waiting.

    .
    A similar policy would make the Tory party conference look a lot younger.

Similar Threads

  1. Steve Baker: 80 MPs will vote against Chequers Brexit plan
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-09-2018, 09:24 AM
  2. Conservative rebels target Theresa May's Brexit plan
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2018, 06:30 PM
  3. MPs could block Theresa May's Brexit plan - Anna Soubry
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 13-02-2018, 12:22 AM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-10-2017, 05:07 PM
  5. 'Detailed' Brexit plan demanded by Labour ahead of vote
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2016, 11:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •