Page 1 of 135 1 2 3 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit and the Northern Ireland border crossing

Thanks

Brexit and the Northern Ireland border crossing

Assuming that there is no Brexit deal (hard Brexit), am I right in assuming that according to EU rules there would have to be a hard border between Northern Ireland and Eire?

If so what would be the likely outcomes if both the UK and Eire refused to implement such a border post Brexit and left the border open as it is now?

Iím no expert and Iím sure there would be many issues, but I havenít ever seen this possibility discussed so I would be interested to hear what people think.

Thanks
    Everybody should calm down a little,the EU is using the border as a wedge,British people are not going to shove Irish people out in the cold,only the EU would do that.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

Thanks
    I assure you that I am very calm. I’m just interested in the theoretical possibilities for better or worse. I was hoping that someone with more knowledge than me would be able to paint a picture of the prospects and possibilities in the event that the situation I describe actually pans out.

Thanks
    All good then,if it is no deal which is what the best outcome is,Eire still has the UK as its biggest trading partner with the EU out of the equation we can decide whatever we like between us all.The EU would have to force Eire to not trade with the UK or face a hard border which in either case they would be picking up the slack.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepy View Post
    All good then,if it is no deal which is what the best outcome is,Eire still has the UK as its biggest trading partner with the EU out of the equation we can decide whatever we like between us all.The EU would have to force Eire to not trade with the UK or face a hard border which in either case they would be picking up the slack.
    I would imagine that it would not cause any issues in the UK, but in Eire they would presumably face some penalty for breaking EU rules? If so how expensive / enforcable would any action be?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slarty View Post
    I would imagine that it would not cause any issues in the UK, but in Eire they would presumably face some penalty for breaking EU rules? If so how expensive / enforcable would any action be?
    Well the EU might try and enforce some kind of penalty,but what sense would that make,it would make another nation anti-EU who they made to keep voting until they got the answer they wanted.I somehow doubt even they are that stupid.Not with other nations waiting in the wings to leave the EU.However badly they treat the UK.We can take it.

Thanks
    Emperor's clothes.

Brexit supporters are very keen on tight borders and immigration controls on the front door, but they want to leave the back door wide open. Apparently immigrants and smuggled goods flowing in from Ireland after Brexit is fine, just as long as they don't come in through Dover!

This is the logic of Brexit and it cannot be argued with or challenged.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Javert View Post
    Emperor's clothes.

Brexit supporters are very keen on tight borders and immigration controls on the front door, but they want to leave the back door wide open. Apparently immigrants and smuggled goods flowing in from Ireland after Brexit is fine, just as long as they don't come in through Dover!

This is the logic of Brexit and it cannot be argued with or challenged.
    Oh you mean we are always a step ahead.#considering I explained months ago how this could be seamless.

Thanks
    Just to reiterate: what would be the likely outcomes if both the UK and Eire refused to implement a hard border post Brexit and left the border open as it is now? I'm not interested if its a good idea or a bad idea nor if the emperor is wearing clothes or not. Its a relatively simple question folks, I'm sure someone here could make a stab at an answer no?

Thanks
    Somebody give slarty a different answer like the one they require.