Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Labour Party propose to cut pay and jobs..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    I read newspapers. I don’t have your direct access to senior politicians.
    I don't have access to seniour politicians any more than any other citizen. I mererly do not trust a word printed in newspapers, unless I can verify it.

There was Labour manifesto promise for the last general election of £10 an hour by 2020 for 18 year olds an above. But old manifesto promises by any political party don't carry forward to the next general election.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    That is making assumptions. Nowhere is £10 an hour at 18 being suggested.
    And nowhere is it suggested it is only for the overs either.

Thanks
    I don't have access to seniour politicians any more than any other citizen. I mererly do not trust a word printed in newspapers, unless I can verify it.
    Verify newspaper reports how — by seeing what similar reports there are in other newspapers at other times, or carried by the BBC, without any corrections or retractions demanded by the cited party...?
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    Verify newspaper reports how
    Quite simple, looking for a video or transcript of what was said and not what the newspers say was said.
    Then there are the political party websites, Hansard, and this, (my weekday daily read at around 10.00 hours.)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Sinic View Post

However I do believe that there is room for reform regarding zero hour contracts which has nothing to do with the hourly pay rate and all to do with their implementation. Some years ago my son having just left school was trying to save for his gap year travels, and secured a zhc with a fashion chain in Bicester village. It was not uncommon to be told in the evening that he was wanted the next day, only to turn up in the morning and be told he wasn't needed, or to be told he was no longer needed after an hour or two because the shop was not busy enough. In my opinion this was outright abuse by an employer of an employee, who often was spending money in order to attend as requested his place of work, only to be left out of pocket. Needless to say he packed it in after two weeks. It is my view that a zero hours contract should be a minimum hours contract divided into minimum work periods. If the tories don't reform this aspect of employment law then that is something Labour could do with far less potential damage to the labour market than their latest headline grabbing 'promises'.
    While at Uni my son registered with an employment agency and got into the habit of ignoring all calls until he was actually at the employers. Sometimes he was told that he was not wanted but as often as not they either found work for him or were too embarrassed to send him away.

Zero hour contracts are disgusting and their only virtue is that they beat sitting at home with the prospect of earning sod all, which is what Wurzel and Kneecapper are offering.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Borchester For This Useful Post:

cromwell (13-09-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    Zero hour contracts are disgusting and their only virtue is that they beat sitting at home with the prospect of earning sod all, which is what Wurzel and Kneecapper are offering.

ZHC's are nothing new though. It used to be called Casual Labour and has been part of the UK workforce for the past 300 years.

I would also just point out that the 'professions' have always used ZHC's - Journalists (even those at the Guardian), Lawyers and Doctors are all mainly on ZHC.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    ZHC's are nothing new though. It used to be called Casual Labour and has been part of the UK workforce for the past 300 years.

That they still exist is a national disgrace.

Thanks
    That they still exist is a national disgrace.
    why - they provide a benefit for both the employer and employee. Remember when offered the option, the majority of those on ZHC's at McDonalds chose to remain on them rather than go on fixed hours.

Thanks
    why - they provide a benefit for both the employer and employee. Remember when offered the option, the majority of those on ZHC's at McDonalds chose to remain on them rather than go on fixed hours.

Were the McDonalds employee's canvassed independently and without fear of management retribution?

Thanks
    Not in this abundance.
    those princes have accomplished most who paid little heed to keeping their promises, but who knew how to manipulate the minds of men craftily.

Machiavelli, The Prince

12. The Following User Says Thank You to scott777 For This Useful Post:

lankou (13-09-2018)