Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Who are the "Regime"?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 763 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    I am quite enjoying it actually
    Quote Originally Posted by grumzed View Post
    I agree with DD that this thread was probably a bad idea
    I'm going for a new record. I'm the first contributor to get my posts removed before I even make them

The thread was a crappy idea anyway. I'm going for a ciggie. Half the posters on here seem stoned to feck so I'm going to have a go too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 763 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boggart View Post
    DD, the problem with this thread seems to be the Regime is definitely in conspiracy theory territory. The Illuminati, Bilderbergers, the Jews etc etc. You take your pick as to who the puppet master is. That someone has derailed it, with nonsensical ideas about not having a free press, was somewhat predictable. {Being forbidden from saying certain things, and choosing not to say them, is not the same thing}

Me? I prefer to think "the Regime" is closer to the US concept of the Iron Triangle, although I think UK government is less blatantly malleable (which I realise is somewhat a naive way of thinking).
    I think we should go back a few centuries and deal with "dissenters" the old fashioned way.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    Well yes and no.

Murdoch tried to attract readers to his rightwing politics by filling his nespapers with pictures of pretty girls. Unfortunately for him, it appears that most of the readership did not get much beyond the photos of the pretty girls. I suspect that the influence of the Dirty Digger and the rest of the media barons is vastly over rated.
    LOL Well he did forget to mention he is a raving psychopath.But then the sensible people have taken over the thread now allegedly.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DeppityDawg View Post
    I think we should go back a few centuries and deal with "dissenters" the old fashioned way.
    You mean transport them to America.

Not a bad idea. The way things are over there no one would notice.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Borchester For This Useful Post:

grumzed (10-09-2018)

Thanks
    Ok. If that's your answer, I would probably agree that some big corporations have got a lot of sway over national governments, or at the very least, get treated preferentially.

I would have thought mind, given the extraordinary amount of effort you've put into rubbishing the West/US/Establishment in other threads, one line is a bit weak.
    Well, since you asked, and since you are open minded in this regard, I'll expound.

1: As Pink Floyd once said: Money, so they say, is the root of all evil today.

2: No conspiracy theories necessary. I would mention Chomsky, but fear the consequences. The idea is: clever, dishonest politicians get to the top more easily than less clever, honest ones. They also understand how to profit from the corporations, if they give them what they need to grow. This might mean simply avoiding regulations (as in the banks), or turning a blind eye to tax havens and risky business. In return, the corporations make donations, etc. It's a natural cycle, requiring no formal agreement, therefore no conspiring.

3: Sometimes what corporations want is more customers. Politicians know that high immigration results is more customers for banks, tech giants, etc, because everyone needs a bank account and a phone and computer.

4: Some corporations profit from security and therefore from things like terrorism. So when Tony Blair agrees with the US in their invasion of Iraq, he is not only making friends in the Middle East (who will eventually pay him lots of money for his advice), and providing profitable resources for oil companies, he is also helping to destroy a country and kill innocent people, which leads to terrorism and profit for security companies.

The driver in all of this is money, which is concentrated in corporations. I only rubbish the West because I live and pay tax here, and that's where all the money and clever scams are concentrated.
    those princes have accomplished most who paid little heed to keeping their promises, but who knew how to manipulate the minds of men craftily.

Machiavelli, The Prince

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Know it View Post
    The "TO" & "TOO" thing has always confused me, and with little doubt will continue to do so until I die. Your faith in our society, and the direction it is heading is to be commended, or perhaps like me you will be dead before we are effected (or is that affected?)
    Affected. I just notice these things, as an amateur writer.
    those princes have accomplished most who paid little heed to keeping their promises, but who knew how to manipulate the minds of men craftily.

Machiavelli, The Prince

8. The Following User Says Thank You to scott777 For This Useful Post:

Barry (10-09-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    “Does need to know about”? Who’s to judge?
    Most people buy their newspapers and other periodicals for entertainment — of which political, social, showbiz, sport info forms a part. Even business and finance falls partly in that category. Few readers, listeners, viewers would want unmitigated lecturing about the perceived injustices and wrongs given from whatever opinion the state controller holds at that time.
    Speaking personally I want the Speakers’ Corner orator to have the same freedom and constraints as our news media, and vice versa. I doubt any one person has the full picture about any subject. That’s why I learn more by people with different points of view voicing their opinions. That’s why I can dismiss mad claims that new superstores are really government crematoriums, that the US government were behind the Twin Towers, and that Porton Down actually poisoned people round Salisbury...
    I read carefully, but can't see why 9/11 inside job should be dismissed.

Machiavelli, The Prince

Thanks
    You don't need to go back a few centuries.