Thread: Boris Johnson to be prosecuted about the "350M" claim?

Thanks

Boris Johnson to be prosecuted about the "350M" claim?

Anybody else seen this:
    Boris Johnson faces court over 350m claim

In the week that his wife left him, it seems that BoJo's chickens are coming home to roost!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Anybody else seen this:

In the week that his wife left him, it seems that BoJo's chickens are coming home to roost!
    Hello Hans and welcome to the forum

OK if all politicians were to be prosecuted when they lied the justice system would come to a standstill,the blokes wasting his money.
    When the eagles are silent the parrots begin to jabber.

Thanks
    Sounds like a walter mitty looking for his 15 minutes of fame. If he had a real case over Vote Leaves campaign material he would be targeting the Chairman (Gisela Stuart) or CEO (Matthew Elliot) of the organisation.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to El Jefe For This Useful Post:

johnofgwent (08-09-2018)

Thanks
    This guy has actually been working on this for 2 years - originally he wanted to prosecute several others as well. He's been posting updates regularly for 2 years and has quite a strong legal team. I'm inclined to agree with cromwell that his chance of success is low, but it's not zero.

The other thing is that they are trying to set it up in a way where if they win in court, it will set a legal precedent and make it illegal for politicians to knowingly lie to the public - that actually sounds like quite a good thing to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Javert View Post
    This guy has actually been working on this for 2 years - originally he wanted to prosecute several others as well. He's been posting updates regularly for 2 years and has quite a strong legal team. I'm inclined to agree with cromwell that his chance of success is low, but it's not zero.

The other thing is that they are trying to set it up in a way where if they win in court, it will set a legal precedent and make it illegal for politicians to knowingly lie to the public - that actually sounds like quite a good thing to me.
    Well whilst I agree it would be a good thing,good luck with that.

Most politicians of all hues are accomplished liars,and they formulate laws,can't see it myself.
    When the eagles are silent the parrots begin to jabber.

Thanks
    It's how politics in the US and the UK work. There will always be a witch hunt for any politician who dares say what they think or believe, rather than to follow the wishes of a liberal media
    Keep Britain British, whoops, it's too late

Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 836 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Anybody else seen this:

Hello Hans and welcome to the forum.
    Sadly you have chosen to post a fake news headline.
    "Boris Johnson faces court", which having read the article is false. He's not facing court at all.
    However raising 2 million pounds for solicitors fees does seem less productive than funding the NHS.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    "Boris Johnson faces court", which having read the article is false. He's not facing court at all.
    However raising 2 million pounds for solicitors fees does seem less productive than funding the NHS.
    Maybe not Barry, but young Master Ball appears to have chosen his moment well.

The mainstay of Boris's legal team was his wife Marina and now that he has decided to divorce and trade her in for a no doubt series of younger models, courtwise, things might not go as smoothly as expected.

In passing, am I the only one who heard the leavers promise to claw back 350 million a week from the EU and spend it on the NHS and thought, stuff the NHS, the *******s are always on the scrounge, I want the money in my pocket?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Thanks Barry! However, I don't think you're right about it being "fake news". Although he's not being summoned to court at the moment, he will be if they can raise the money. As Javert said, this guy has already paid for extensive legal advice, has a good case (he believes) and if he can get enough dosh to pay the lawyers, BoJo will indeed face court. You need to make allowance for headline writers' licence- they have a newspaper (or website) to sell!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    Well whilst I agree it would be a good thing,good luck with that.

Most politicians of all hues are accomplished liars,and they formulate laws,can't see it myself.
    You imply that most politicians tell lies. I don't think that's true, in the sense of knowingly uttering untruths. They are certainly often evasive; I suppose that could be read as attempting to deceive.

It's common to denigrate politicians at the moment. Whilst I think the current lot are not very talented, I think most are decent and hard-working and I don't believe they are liars. Our problems in public life stem much more from the media, in my view.