Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: People on Benefits

Thanks

People on Benefits

We mustn't get side tracked to much with immigration, although I realise it is difficult in this instance. Of course, we need limited immigration, but the term "Britts that WON'T do the jobs". WON'T shouldn't be a word when it comes to work, only the word "CAN'T" should be relevant. Personally I would rather be more like Denmark, and Poland even better. Immigration should be at the convenience of the UK, and NOT the people who fancy living here.

I live in an area surrounded by farms that has a high unemployment rate. People chose to claim benefits rather than to work on the land. In my opinion they shouldn't have an option. Half an hour up the road is Boston, a town infested with Poles and other East Europeans. If the locals took the work, all the properties occupied by foreigners would be vacant
    Keep Britain British, whoops, it's too late

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    Yes all very simple you'd think but it's not as clear cut as that is it?

So you force those people to move all over the country in to house we haven't got and live where?
    Whilst I support Brexit and Johnsons right to free speech plus taking it in to the context of how he phrased it around not being like Denmark this is bringing some very unpleasant ideas out in to the open from some quarters.

Snowflakes and liberals?,yes mistakes have been made in immigration and integration and ensuring people have a sense of being British has been poorly implemented,however I would not like to see a swing to the opposite end of the spectrum that has very unpleasant goals.
    We don't just have a mental health crisis we have a deeply unpleasant people crisis.Which both stem from the upper echelons of power.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sheepy For This Useful Post:

cromwell (13-08-2018)

Thanks
    Snowflakes and liberals?,yes mistakes have been made in immigration and integration and ensuring people have a sense of being British has been poorly implemented,however I would not like to see a swing to the opposite end of the spectrum that has very unpleasant goals.
    It is in hand,probably why we are seeing so much anger.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Know it View Post
    People chose to claim benefits rather than to work on the land.
    You can't choose to claim benefits, you have to prove you need them and keep on proving it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    You can't choose to claim benefits, you have to prove you need them and keep on proving it.
    I am not sure what world you live in. I could give you numerous examples of people who receive large benefits (people I know), albeit most of them are disability based. That's to say disabilities that don't actually stop them doing some type of job, yet the state throws endless amounts of dosh at them, including a fully expensed new car every three years. The people I refer to will receive these benefits until they die, and unless the government clamps down on it things won't change. I accept that just being unemployed doesn't bring in to much money, however if you decide to have some kids then the government will more than happy to finance them for you.

Back to the point in question. Our green space is critical for so many reasons, and building more houses also means we need to build more infrastructure. What makes it worse is that "affordable housing" is another term for "free housing". Society needs to eliminate the need for this housing, not give into the poor policies that have got us to where we are. Simple, reduce the amount of people who require "affordable housing" and we won't won't need to spend billions of tax payers money and destroy the environment. Anyone can see that even if we built all these houses by the time they are built we would need as many again. We can't go on like that forever, so why not address the problem now ?

Thanks
    I am not sure what world you live in. I could give you numerous examples of people who receive large benefits (people I know), albeit most of them are disability based. ?

I live in the real world based on the national situation. I would also comment unless you are multiply medically qualified and have access to the "numerous people you know" medical records and also their financial circumstances you know (expletive deleted,) all about them.
    You also very obviously know (expletive deleted,) all about disability benefits and how they are administered, or the compliance regulations.

This latest statistics release by the DWP it may give you some cause to thought:-

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ugust-2018.pdf

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    I live in the real world based on the national situation. I would also comment unless you are multiply medically qualified and have access to the "numerous people you know" medical records and also their financial circumstances you know (expletive deleted,) all about them.
    You also very obviously know (expletive deleted,) all about disability benefits and how they are administered, or the compliance regulations.

This latest statistics release by the DWP it may give you some cause to thought:-

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ugust-2018.pdf
    OK, a couple of examples

1) An acquaintance of mine. Rent paid for by the state, smokes 40 cigarettes a day, and drinks between 15 and 20 pints of beer every day. In short he wants for very little. 15 years ago he put his foot through a TV screen in anger, and as a result he damaged his leg quite badly. He wears a supportive boot now, but is more than capable of doing a sit down job. He has told me that he has no intention of doing so, and the powers that be are quite happy to give him his benefits indefinitely.

2) The son of a friend of mine who is now 26 years old has a drug problem. The drugs have made him paranoid, and as a result has not worked for 7 years. He has a lovely one bed flat in a nice area of MK, a relatively new car, and lives a pleasant life. Oh, he can still afford to have a drink, he smokes, and hasn't given up his drugs either.

3) A 56 year old friend of my wife's had a stroke 4 years ago. Of course, nobody wants to have a stroke. She worked for the council at the time. She initially was given full pay for six months, and then half pay for a further 6 months, until she was eventually pensioned off. So, she gets full pension plus state benefits and a new car every three years. They realised they had considerably more money coming in than when she worked, so her husband gave up work and receives a carers allowance. In their words, not mine, they never dreamed they would be so financially comfortable. At the end of last year they did a world cruise and had a two balcony cabin. They also bought one of their sons a twelve month old car. I don't care about government statistics and figures, I know these people, and I know how well off they are.

4) My wife used to work full time looking after adults with learning difficulties. They all had nice flats in a supported living building. They were given so many benefits their savings quite often exceeded the threshold. My wife quite often had to take them out shopping so they could buy merchandise they didn't want or need, just so they didn't have to much money. It's the tax payer that funds this my friend.

I have no issue with looking after genuinely disabled people, as long they can't work. However, I do believe that the standard of living supplied should NOT be better than someone who works and pays their taxes.

Now, back to the subject in hand !!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,574 Posts
    4) My wife used to work full time looking after adults with learning difficulties. They all had nice flats in a supported living building. They were given so many benefits their savings quite often exceeded the threshold. My wife quite often had to take them out shopping so they could buy merchandise they didn't want or need, just so they didn't have to much money. It's the tax payer that funds this my friend.

I have no issue with looking after genuinely disabled people, as long they can't work. However, I do believe that the standard of living supplied should NOT be better than someone who works and pays their taxes.
    You are living in the past,I can tell you for a fact that people with learning disabilities are being charged up to the hilt by cash strapped councils,so much so they have very little spare cash.

As regards your other examples individual examples do not a wholesale system abuse make.
    To paraphase one of our last great political leaders Winston Spencer Churchill "Never in the field of British politics and Brexit was so much expected by so many of so few......only to be bitterly disappointed"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    You are living in the past,I can tell you for a fact that people with learning disabilities are being charged up to the hilt by cash strapped councils,so much so they have very little spare cash.

As regards your other examples individual examples do not a wholesale system abuse make.
    My wife retired three years ago, and is still in touch with her co-workers. It is absolutely true that the people she worked with are worse off now, and there are less of them, however the people with the learning difficulties receive similar benefits

Thanks
    My wife retired three years ago, and is still in touch with her co-workers. It is absolutely true that the people she worked with are worse off now, and there are less of them, however the people with the learning difficulties receive similar benefits
    Sorry for the newspaper reference but people with learning difficulties are being driven back to the Victorian age by Tory austerity and cuts. :-

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-a8491681.html

Learning disability care could return to 'Victorian era' because of nurse training cuts, experts warn

'Bleak image that is not what care should look like in the 21st century,' says Royal College of Nursing

Link to RCN article:-

https://www.rcn.org.uk/news-and-even...-facing-crisis

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lankou For This Useful Post:

cromwell (16-08-2018)