Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Boris for PM

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampan View Post
    My preference would be for Mr Rees Moog, who I think would excel in the office.
    I agree he is the best candidate, however I share the concern that his religious beliefs could cause problems.

Thanks
    Boris seems to form opinions without any thought and then shoots from the hip - or, if he does think, he uses this persona to gain popularity. IMO these are not traits which leads me to believe that they are suitable to lead a country even if they can be used to gain misplaced popular support. I find it a sad situation that this may be the sort of behaviour that does gain support - as seems to have happened in the USA! Rees-Mogg has the quality of appearing, and I suspect is, honest. However his overall views on a number of subjects do not reflect the world in which we live today - as has been said he is the Tory party representative for the 19th century. It may be considered either a good or a bad quality that politicians cannot always promote their own personal opinions as they are supposed to reflect the will of the people as a whole and/or go along with party policy. But a leader of a party, at least in a democracy, should not be a dictator. In fact, I cannot see Rees-Mogg as such so suspect he would not last long until he faces an internal conflict on which he could not compromise. Out of 316 Tory MPs there has to be someone better than these two - TM is never going to be an easy sell to the public, but I would put her way ahead of these two as someone I would trust to make a correct decision on a difficult issue.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to grumzed For This Useful Post:

Barry (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    At least two of the most likely candidates (Bozo, Moggy) are both leavers.
    those princes have accomplished most who paid little heed to keeping their promises, but who knew how to manipulate the minds of men craftily.

Machiavelli, The Prince

5. The Following User Says Thank You to scott777 For This Useful Post:

Barry (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    I think Moggy would make an excellent PM. Of course, the snowflakes would absolutely hate him, but that can only be a good thing. He is a traditionalist and would love to see some traditional values put back into the country. I would go as far to say that despite the plumb in his mouth, and his obvious middle/upper class background, he is more in tune with the man in the street than those politicians who claim to come from a working class background.
    Keep Britain British, whoops, it's too late

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    There are several things standing in the way of Boris Johnson becoming leader of the Conservative Party.

1) Jacob Rees-Mogg, who we are led to believe also has similar ambitions.

2) Michael Gove. Has he moderated his opinion of his fellow Leave campaigner over the last 2 years? If not, will he keep quiet or not?

3) Theresa May is still PM and has several valid excuses for calling a snap general election to do with the small Tory majority, Brexit and the DUP.

Just supposing Boris does become PM, perish the thought. What would be the chances of him flipping his opinion on Brexit again and deciding to keep Britain in the EU after all? "Oh, that was just a jolly clever career move at the time. Now we need to embrace the future and stop wailing about the past." As a remainer would I be pleased? Not really because he bears a lot of the responsibility for the anguish our nation has already been put through.
    I dahn do non-judgement'aw. ... and put ya blinkin' shirt on mate, wiwya!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Know it View Post
    I think Moggy would make an excellent PM. Of course, the snowflakes would absolutely hate him, but that can only be a good thing. He is a traditionalist and would love to see some traditional values put back into the country. I would go as far to say that despite the plumb in his mouth, and his obvious middle/upper class background, he is more in tune with the man in the street than those politicians who claim to come from a working class background.
    You're not doing a very good sales job on him. Makes me think of black and white photography and potatoes being boiled in large aluminium saucepans.
    I dahn do non-judgement'aw. ... and put ya blinkin' shirt on mate, wiwya!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperduck Quack Quack View Post
    There are several things standing in the way of Boris Johnson becoming leader of the Conservative Party.

1) Jacob Rees-Mogg, who we are led to believe also has similar ambitions.

2) Michael Gove. Has he moderated his opinion of his fellow Leave campaigner over the last 2 years? If not, will he keep quiet or not?

3) Theresa May is still PM and has several valid excuses for calling a snap general election to do with the small Tory majority, Brexit and the DUP.

Just supposing Boris does become PM, perish the thought. What would be the chances of him flipping his opinion on Brexit again and deciding to keep Britain in the EU after all? "Oh, that was just a jolly clever career move at the time. Now we need to embrace the future and stop wailing about the past." As a remainer would I be pleased? Not really because he bears a lot of the responsibility for the anguish our nation has already been put through.
    JRM is a backbench MP who has repeatedly said he has no intention of standing as leader . I don't think he would get the backing from his fellow conservative MP's either so I would say he is nowhere near the leadership of the party .

Gove is a different animal , ambitious and a serial backstabber makes him a perfect Tory leader .

Mayhems days are numbered especially if she comes back off her hols and still says her Chequers plan is a on the table

So for me the only person standing in his way is Gove ,the man who couldn't get to the final vote in front of Mayhem or Leadsom last time round so I guess the Tory parliamentarians don't think too much of him .

The best the tories can come up with according to the polls is Javid

Looks like Boris then and any moving away from Brexit will see the end of the Tory party . And yes you do need to stop wailing about the past

Thanks
    I worry about Boris. He is clever no doubt, but he has a discipline problem. He has little self discipline it seems. Even in the most serious situations he still can't control his need for a cheap quick laugh. With a sensible speech carefully printed in front of him he cannot restrain his tongue as he deviates from the written word and escapes on the tangent that his apparently quick mind runs along simultaneously.

There are too many stories about his personal indiscipline too and we are at a time when we need serious people for a serious situation and for me Boris does not have that seriousness in his nature.

Gove - well a non starter for me. A man who wants the position but I am not convinced of his skills base, his integrity or equilibrium.

Rees-Mogg - in many ways, if we look at the cover, a man of integrity with solidly held beliefs, which in itself makes him a rarity no matter that his beliefs are mocked by many. However we cannot dismiss his lack of experience. As far as I'm aware he has never left the back benches. There is enough of a problem on the opposite side with a leader of nil experience, we don't need even more chaos. I have every faith that Rees-Mogg would make a suitable PM but not yet.

The biggest question for me is who would have the courage to take the poison chalice of a Government, ruling classes and electorate who have, over the last few years, become so disillusioned and ungovernable that the future of any kind of democracy in this country is under threat. I am not at all convinced that there is anyone ready willing or even remotely able enough.
    ...till I die I will not remove mine integrity from me, xx

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I saw a Tweet today which said that if Boris can hold his nerve for 48 hours he'll probably be PM in 18 weeks.
    PM May agreed that he should apologise over the way he spoke about women dressing up as letter boxes, but the thinking behind what she said has to be questionable. I believe she was cynically trying to damage him, knowing that he is a serious threat to her leadership.
    The conference is coming up, she did well to survive the last one. Will she survive this one?
    I doubt it. The Chequers fiasco put paid to that.
    She treated her cabinet as though they were schoolboys and she was an oppressive teacher. It backfired in such a short time she has made herself look weak and inept.

It now needs a pro-Brexit PM to sort this mess out, and Boris could well be the man.
    Boris has the support of Imams, and moderate women Muslims over what he said. This is for the obvious reason that women wearing full covering are oppressed and exhibiting a form of extremism which no-one in their right mind wants.
    This will blow over.

As I said in a previous thread, I would like to see Boris as PM, although I know his premiership would very likely end with a crash and burn. In the meantime, he could see us through Brexit and really frighten the EU, as word has it that they are getting extremely nervous!

Any other serious contenders? I don't think so.
    I would say Mogg is a good case and so is Priti Patel (though she blew her chances a bit too much with her dealings in Israel).

Thanks
    To be entirely cynical any Conservative MP who is willing to accept Cameron's poisoned chalice being handed on by Mrs May and become Leader or PM, is unlikely to have the judgement to be successful! Jacob may well come to the fore but only once one or two sacrificial lambs have paved the way. I see him as far too intelligent and strategic to needlessly sacrifice himself in the flames of a Party irreconcilably divided by Brexit, rather like Labour and the nation as a whole. BoJo might be arrogant enough to try though