Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Fake news a democratic crisis for UK, MPs warn.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post

I need to keep up with a whole range of areas and subjects in my working life, and the BBC's coverage of world news, business, politics, technology, science, health, etc, is among the sources I've trusted most. It's not infallible, and I dislike the presentation of some of its on-air presenters, but it's proved to be way ahead of others for me in scope and reliability...
    You are very unobservant you know.

If you look at examples of what the BBC purports to be educational and analyse it properly, then you will see what they are doing. As you do, think to yourself when presented with some information to see how intelligent it is. Does it over-simplify a situation. What about the underlying conceptual framework it is based on, how useful is the information, is it obvious anyway, or is it just faff, like an opinion.

Try it especially with subjects you know a great deal about, as you can then check to see where the faults lie. You can't do it from the position of being asked to believe something. Likewise when they report events when you were actually there, and saw as much as they did. Do they omit important facts in their presentation. If you do this, you will find the technical accuracy of what they say is nearly always good, so none of the 2 + 2 = 5 type errors. The problems are subtler. The effects are not though. You go away thinking you are educated when you don't know a damn thing. I learnt this myself, and this is why since about 1994 I have not had a TV in my house. The BBC is an awful lot worse now than when I made that decision. I will only watch as much as i need in order to establsih what the government's will is. If the BBC are hyping a particular thing then I know it will be before parliament before too long. It is the Pravda of our times.
    Toiler on the sea

Thanks
    Like on the other thread, I feel this too is turning into us arguing amongst ourselves. I welcome healthy debate, but I think when we start to attack each other personally and based on opinion, not fact (calling pat unobservant is your view, which we respect) however, we are all on the same boat, and the point is some group somewhere is trying to sink our boat, and steal our supplies.

The truth is, they want us fighting each other. Because that way, we aren't watching them. Difference of opinion yes, but the name calling, no. We have common enemies folks, and we should be uniting in a common goal.

Thanks
    The media is always very good at finding a distraction. Remember that. In the 1980s, the Russians wanted to kill everyone. Then when that started to 'go away', we were all going to be killed by AIDS, then, it got boring so fate delivered us the convenience of Iraq 1, government cover ups and presidents getting it on with interns, but nobody talked about that once our once friends, the Taliban (yes, they were fighting the Russians in part on behalf of the west), then Iraq 2 and al queda/ isil were going to get us. Then we had to watch out for bird flu, pig flu, Ebola was going to kill humans everywhere. The media have a habit of keeping you scared, watching out for this, that and the other. Classic slight of hand deception. Whole is still here, always was. But the media sem to like to keep you guessing. All the time, your liberties are being eroded away in the name of terrorist, and some truths, like where all the gold went that the bank of England cannot any longer honour its promise to pay (take a look at the cash in your pockets, and yes the promise is now meaningless) where was the news report on that? Banks basically make up the money, yet we don't see this on the BBC do we? They are far too busy showing us some pop stars home getting raided, or polluting the airwaves with Chris evans. It's not so much the fake news, as to what they are not telling us.

And for the record. And those who ask for the truth, we are labelled conspiracy nuts or similar.