Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Prisoners to get phones in their cells

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    Well, the first thing i would say is the mobiles are all illegal.

if you try to make or take a phone call inside MI6 a lot of red lights come on and a tannoy announcement in the meetingvsays your connection has been intercepted and dropped. and that was some years ago.

give me a single reason why a prison should not do the same

prisoners are in prison to be punished. that means NO contact with relatives other than face to face. for those on remand who are innocent until proven guilty I have no problem with them having phone cards but the convicted should be denied all such.
    In my last job I visited Norwich prison once a month. I asked why the signal couldn't be blocked, and was told it would effect the signal for the surrounding houses etc.
    Keep Britain British, whoops, it's too late

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    Well, the first thing i would say is the mobiles are all illegal.

if you try to make or take a phone call inside MI6 a lot of red lights come on and a tannoy announcement in the meetingvsays your connection has been intercepted and dropped. and that was some years ago.

give me a single reason why a prison should not do the same

prisoners are in prison to be punished. that means NO contact with relatives other than face to face. for those on remand who are innocent until proven guilty I have no problem with them having phone cards but the convicted should be denied all such.
    With the highest prison population in Western Europe and a reoffending rate of around 30%, the UK’s treatment of criminals seems to be less than effective. So perhaps different approaches and regimes should be considered.

Installing fixed line phones in prison, where conversations and numbers called to and from can be monitored, may lessen the number of illicit mobiles inside. Coupling that with mobile phone detection and tracking systems may also help. But blocking signals is impracticable — unless the establishment could be constructed as one big Faraday cage. And it is also illegal. It’s not that expensive, but it is difficult to localise — which is why it isn’t done in cinemas, concert venues, theatres, etc...

PS: why is mobile phone automatically being linked in some posts...?
    https://www.ofcom.org.uk/spectrum/in...fences/jammers
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post

PS: why is mobile phone automatically being linked in some posts...?
    https://www.ofcom.org.uk/spectrum/in...fences/jammers
    It is easy to get hold of mobile phone jammers, even if it is illegal to use them in Britain. I seriously contemplated fitting them to our motorcycles.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    It is easy to get hold of mobile phone jammers, even if it is illegal to use them in Britain. I seriously contemplated fitting them to our motorcycles.
    Find and market something that can disable loudly tizzing earphones and loud-speaking iPods on buses and tubes and you’ll make friends for life...
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time...