Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Boris Johnson resigns over Brexit

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    I'm not here to defend Boris I just said he's a clever bloke,you don't think so that's fine because it's all opinions isn't it.

Anyway you gave me a long list of his gaffes,a lot of politicians do that too,didn't your man Varadkar over Trump and a golf course?
    Look at Juncker in the EU widely described as a drunkard they reflect humanity and in all too many cases the worst facet.
    Good try, we'll agree to disagree on Boris intelligence, even though you give no evidence of such. But how you can try compare him to Leo or any other successful politician is laughable, everyone makes a gaff, I'll grant you that, and everyone has their demon's but very few make a career out of embarrassing their country and insulting political leaders on a continuous basis. When you support and vote for people like Boris this sends a particular message, one of association and agreement in how he conducts himself and what he says. People outside the UK laugh AT BoJo and I'm sure many in the UK do to, he's a caricature from a long forgotten world. Is what he says, how he says it and how he conducts himself the way you want your public representatives to portray the UK of today ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,748 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry T View Post
    Good try, we'll agree to disagree on Boris intelligence, even though you give no evidence of such. ?
    What do you want his IQ?

When you support and vote for people like Boris this sends a particular message, one of association and agreement in how he conducts himself and what he says.
    Well since he's not my MP I didn't vote for him
    Since 1945 how often was the legitimacy of a general election result questioned and how many received 52% of the vote?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T00ts View Post
    Boris is rather like Trump. He doesn't coat everything in syrup to make it palatable to those of the diplomatic corps. He says it as he sees it. It's unfortunate at times but I don't think he is as underhand as many. Clever, yes, there is no doubt. Having said all that, I worry that for all the positives he would not make a respected PM here. I do think you have to be able to understand his rather tongue in cheek humour but then it is probably beyond most people. He is not of the car salesman/school ma'am mould. So not of mass media favour.
    If:
    Tongue and cheek humour = Grossly insulting, elitist, racist, self serving.
    and
    beyond most people = Shock and disgust in what he says maybe. It's a little condescending to suggest people are too thick to understand Boris superior wit.
    Then
    His positives = (picture tumbleweed here)
    leading to
    Respected PM = PM... you can't put respected in the same sentence as Boris. Now that is funny
    if
    Says it as he sees it = being totally self serving.

Then you make some very insightful comments, good post.

Thanks
    If:
    Tongue and cheek humour = Grossly insulting, elitist, racist, self serving.
    and
    beyond most people = Shock and disgust in what he says maybe. It's a little condescending to suggest people are too thick to understand Boris superior wit.
    Then
    His positives = (picture tumbleweed here)
    leading to
    Respected PM = PM... you can't put respected in the same sentence as Boris. Now that is funny
    if
    Says it as he sees it = being totally self serving.

Then you make some very insightful comments, good post.
    I just don't agree with you - I understand that he upsets people and agree he wouldn't necessarily be the right PM, but otherwise what's the problem. He is who he is but unless we know him personally who's to judge? We can find fault with everyone sometimes it's more important to find the good in people.
    ...till I die I will not remove mine integrity from me, xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to T00ts For This Useful Post:

cromwell (12-07-2018)

Thanks
    I just don't agree with you - I understand that he upsets people and agree he wouldn't necessarily be the right PM, but otherwise what's the problem. He is who he is but unless we know him personally who's to judge? We can find fault with everyone sometimes it's more important to find the good in people.
    I think the other issue with him is that about half the country, possibly more than half, suspect that his actions, motives, and policies are purely based on what he thinks will be good for his career and nothing to do with what's right for the country.

Good try, we'll agree to disagree on Boris intelligence, even though you give no evidence of such. But how you can try compare him to Leo or any other successful politician is laughable, everyone makes a gaff, I'll grant you that, and everyone has their demon's but very few make a career out of embarrassing their country and insulting political leaders on a continuous basis. When you support and vote for people like Boris this sends a particular message, one of association and agreement in how he conducts himself and what he says. People outside the UK laugh AT BoJo and I'm sure many in the UK do to, he's a caricature from a long forgotten world. Is what he says, how he says it and how he conducts himself the way you want your public representatives to portray the UK of today ?
    Slightly off topic but what do you think on Jacob Rees-Mogg. I ask because I was watching a UK TV show recently and the Irish host was talking about how everyone in Ireland tunes in whenever JRM is going to give an interview about the Northern Ireland situation because he is unintentionally hilarious due to his being absolutely clueless about the real situation and making completely hilarious and wrong statements. I do suspect that far more UK (and US) people than would care to admit it are subconsciously fooled into thinking someone is right if they have a posh voice.

Thanks
    Boris is rather like Trump. .
    Im a fan of neither but boris johnson is nothing like trump.

Trump got himself elected as the leader of the most powerfull nation on earth and so far , apart from london mayor and a cabinet position he was ridiculed in , boris has done nothing except snipe from the sidelines.

Wether he is clever witty outspoken or non of the above is in the eye of the beholder , and the fact he cant manage to attain the top job in his own country and is viewed with a certain amount of ridicule by many speaks volumes of the man.
    sing to me the history of my country. It is sweet to the soul to hear it. Flann Mac Lonain ( c.850-918 a.d)
    Alba gu brath An rud is fhiach a ghabhail, 's fhiach e iarraidh

Thanks
    What do you want his IQ?
    If by IQ you mean intelligence, I don't need to know his IQ, he demonstrates that every time he opens his mouth. But IQ is not what I was talking about, IQ is a very particular measure of one set of Intelligence. I'm not talking about his collection of information but his ability to process information and make a decision, he's a moron in this measure.

Well since he's not my MP I didn't vote for him
    Sort of avoids the point.

Thanks
    I agree with your sentiment, but for a person representing your country you should be held accountable for your actions, Boris is like Mr Teflon, he can say and do what he wants and it has no repercussions. Any other country and he'd have been sacked years ago

Thanks
    Thanked 1,748 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Sort of avoids the point.
    Sorry Gerry not sure what point you were trying to make....to me anyway.

earlier in the thread I just said the bumbling fool is an act and I thought him a clever bloke.....that's just my opinion.

You've gone on to tell me he's an embarrassment,listed his gaffes how he is a fool not fit for office,now I haven't expressed support for him as foreign sec or potential pm quite the opposite but if you can point to where I did other than to say
    Boris comes across as the bumbling fool but he is far from it,principled and honest?blimey you're asking a lot of a politician aren't you? there are the odd ones who are but Boris ain't one of those.
    Lead the country you ask,don't think so.
    So basically you think he's a fool I thought him clever....and that's it.
    Since 1945 how often was the legitimacy of a general election result questioned and how many received 52% of the vote?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Javert View Post
    Slightly off topic but what do you think on Jacob Rees-Mogg. I ask because I was watching a UK TV show recently and the Irish host was talking about how everyone in Ireland tunes in whenever JRM is going to give an interview about the Northern Ireland situation because he is unintentionally hilarious due to his being absolutely clueless about the real situation and making completely hilarious and wrong statements. I do suspect that far more UK (and US) people than would care to admit it are subconsciously fooled into thinking someone is right if they have a posh voice.
    Well I've heard many say he reminds them of a young Mr Burn's from the Simpsons, there may be a likeness but I think thats where it ends. In fairness he did travel to the North, met some locals and listened to what they had to say. Watching that I felt he had an opinion and that wasn't changing, the visit was more a PR exercise.
    One of the investment companies he started and now has shares in has recently opened offices in Dublin, while he may not have made the decision I though it strange that a hard brexiteer spouting the fields are greener outside the EU decided to stay invested in this venture.
    He does come out with such nonsense though saying the UK won't put up a border and it's up to the EU, demonstrates that he either has no understanding of what a border is and how WTO works, or he does know but he's just playing to a particular demographic within the UK. He thinks there is an existing border in place ??? He doesn't seem to be able to grasp that when the UK leaves the SM and CU then there will be a border even though UK and EU doesn't want one.
    One point I did pick up on is he said the overall trade deal for the UK is more important than the NI border issue, and that once the trade deal is finalised it will be then that the NI border issue can be resolved. Sounds like he doesn't really care about NI, NI will get what it gets. On the issue of troubles starting again he just abdicated that saying its totally up to the Irish Govt if they wish to put up a border, eh?? Again a total lack of knowledge on the subject.
    So in summary, at first I wasn't sure if he was a clever politician trying to leverage the EU and push decision making and defence onto the EU, but because he is demonstrating that he doesn't know what a border is, the difference between a custom union & single market is, how the WTO in broad principles relating to borders works I think he's a total spoofer, with a posh articulate voice.
    One other point, my sister lives in Scotland, all through 2017 when she came home she would constantly say how come brexit is all the Irish talk about, and that no one in the UK seems bothered. This is now the total opposite, every TV and radio show in the UK is obsessed with brexit and it hardly gets much of a mention in Ireland. I'm interested in the topic, I see a milestone in history unfolding before us so its grabbed my attention, but honestly, very few Irish people would have a clue who JRM was, but they would know Boris.