Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The SNP And Question Time

Thanks

The SNP And Question Time

Is the SNP getting a fair crack of the whip on Question Time? James Kelly (Scot Goes Pop) thinks not. I have been wondering about this myself for some time. Before the 2015 GE there always seemed to be someone from the LDs or UKIP on as a 3rd politician. Since then, and more noticeably since last year's GE, the SNP has been conspicuous by its absence. As Kelly says the programme increased the number of panellists from four to five but still the SNP was ignored. http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/2018/ ... m.html?m=1
    Like it or not and despite losing seats last year, the SNP is the 3rd largest party at Westminster and should be recognised as such by the Beeb. This slap in the face is just another in a long line of anti-SNP acts by the state propaganda outlet.

Thanks
    Does SNP have enough people accomplished enough to entertain UK-wide audiences on multiple occasions?
    As your self same post elsewhere has got an even less sympathetic reception than here, on a two-site poll, I guess the complaint is unlikely to be upheld...
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    given the SNP want sod all to to with England and wales, should they not have their own on Scottish TV safe from bothering the rest of us ....
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    Does SNP have enough people accomplished enough to entertain UK-wide audiences on multiple occasions?
    Of course it does.
    As your self same post elsewhere has got an even less sympathetic reception than here, on a two-site poll, I guess the complaint is unlikely to be upheld...
    This, and the other one I post on, are basically English forums that allow, grudgingly, Scottish politics a voice. As there are only 2 Nationalist voices on this forum and 4 or so on the other, it is rather obvious that the issue would not get a sympathetic hearing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 776 Posts
    QT has long since been a programme that is worth watching . As far as I'm concerned they can film it in Glasgow every week and fill it with SNP MPs and Scottish comedians . Hope they have something worth saying unlike our English ones . You can make your own mind up if I mean the MPs or the comedians

Thanks
    Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    QT has long since been a programme that is worth watching .
    I would disagree,it now seems fashionable to knock it but I think ordinary people are more likely to challeng establishhment figures and there have been some really good QT's of late.
    As far as the SNP goes there have been a number held in Scotland and SNP politicians present when held in other parts of the UK,it is a red herring to say they are under represented.
    To paraphase one of our last great political leaders Winston Spencer Churchill "Never in the field of British politics and Brexit was so much expected by so many of so few......only to be bitterly disappointed"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by morayloon View Post
    Of course it does.
    This, and the other one I post on, are basically English forums that allow, grudgingly, Scottish politics a voice. As there are only 2 Nationalist voices on this forum and 4 or so on the other, it is rather obvious that the issue would not get a sympathetic hearing.
    Claiming that the SNP or Scottish views are actively ignored on BBC TV’s Question Time (and/or radio Any Questions), or the two forums we’re referring to is blatantly untrue. Both forums actually mention Scotland alongside the other constituents of the UK on their Forum pages. If there are not enough people showing positive interest could be down to topic fatigue. Plus, how many SNP “personalities” are there who can interest audiences outside Scotland...
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    As far as the SNP goes there have been a number held in Scotland and SNP politicians present when held in other parts of the UK,it is a red herring to say they are under represented.
    No red-herring at all. Did you read the blog? The Liberals & LDs were treated totally differently when they were in 3rd position. The reason is perfectly simple - the State is under threat so the state propaganda machine is used to try and stifle the message of Scottish Independence. Heard a bit on Radio 2 yesterday about a rally/demonstration in London organised by the TUC. Tens of thousands seemingly were there. But, tens of thousands were in Glasgow on the 5th in support of the break up of the UK but little mention by the state broadcaster. Only a mention by BBC Scotland so I assume nothing went out in the other countries. 90000+ marching through a city about 16 times smaller than London surely merits an in-depth news report.

Thanks

Well judging by SNP contributions to debates in the House of Commons the SNP does seem to have more MPs with brains than the other political parties even if a few of them need subtitles.

Thanks
    Claiming that the SNP or Scottish views are actively ignored on BBC TV’s Question Time (and/or radio Any Questions), or the two forums we’re referring to is blatantly untrue. Both forums actually mention Scotland alongside the other constituents of the UK on their Forum pages. If there are not enough people showing positive interest could be down to topic fatigue
    Another one who feels he can spout off without having read the blog. How do you explain the different way the SNP has been dealt with compared to the Libs& LDs? As Kelly points out the increase to 5 panellists has had no effect on SNP participation.
    As for the forums. I think the ratio, of Nationalists to others, on both is about right. There isn't that much activity going on. I would agree that, on this site, discussion of Scottish affairs is a lot slower than the other.

Plus, how many SNP “personalities” are there who can interest audiences outside Scotland...
    That is a very patronising statement. We are inundated with English politicians of both major parties who have no relevance in Scotland. Health, education etc. are discussed and, when they are, we need a Scottish voice to point out the difference. How many English MPs who are paraded on QT are 'personalities'?