Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: NHS no longer needs to share patient info with Home Office

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    London N16
    Posts
    4,749
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 498 Times in 416 Posts

    NHS no longer needs to share patient info with Home Office

    Ministers have suspended controversial arrangements under which the NHS shared patients’ details with the Home Office so it could trace people breaking immigration rules.

    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...th-home-office

    While I understand the requirement for employers and landlords to check the legality of employees and tenants, discouraging ill immigrants with potentially dangerous diseases from seeking medical health is dangerous.

    PS: before there are calls to ban all immigration, most notifiable diseases in the UK are home grown:—
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notifiab...iable-diseases)
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Leaving the EUSSR
    Posts
    8,670
    Thanks
    1,900
    Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    Ministers have suspended controversial arrangements under which the NHS shared patients’ details with the Home Office so it could trace people breaking immigration rules.

    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...th-home-office

    While I understand the requirement for employers and landlords to check the legality of employees and tenants, discouraging ill immigrants with potentially dangerous diseases from seeking medical health is dangerous.

    PS: before there are calls to ban all immigration, most notifiable diseases in the UK are home grown:—
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notifiab...iable-diseases)
    Where in those reports does it say that?
    When the eagles are silent the parrots begin to jabber.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    London N16
    Posts
    4,749
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 498 Times in 416 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    Where in those reports does it say that?
    Which report?
    But you could look at the list of notifiable diseases to see if you can identify more than 10% which have been introduced or re-introduced since immigration became a political football...
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Leaving the EUSSR
    Posts
    8,670
    Thanks
    1,900
    Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    Which report?
    But you could look at the list of notifiable diseases to see if you can identify more than 10% which have been introduced or re-introduced since immigration became a political football...
    You made a statement followed by a link,in any event you cannopt say immigration has not made it worse.
    When the eagles are silent the parrots begin to jabber.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    London N16
    Posts
    4,749
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 498 Times in 416 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    You made a statement followed by a link,in any event you cannopt say immigration has not made it worse.
    The link was to list notifiable diseases, most of which are/have been endemic in the UK. However, I guess plague and the like spread from the Continent a few hundred years ago. And TB appears to be raising its head again here. Whether immigration has made “it” worse would need some convoluted reasoning. For example, bed bugs and fleas have re-appeared in greater numbers it’s thought due to wide spread central heating. I guess immigrant plumbers could have installed some of those heating systems — but do we know. And do we know what infections can be spread by bugs and fleas...
    Last edited by Patman Post; 10-05-2018 at 06:40 PM. Reason: productive smelling
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In a pub
    Posts
    7,956
    Thanks
    861
    Thanked 906 Times in 694 Posts
    Just make sure all people coming into the country have medical insurance and the NHS can treat who they like . The home office just passed the buck in getting to check patients eligibility, its their job .

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    London N16
    Posts
    4,749
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 498 Times in 416 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    Just make sure all people coming into the country have medical insurance and the NHS can treat who they like . The home office just passed the buck in getting to check patients eligibility, its their job .
    That's sensible, and the way it runs elsewhere. Sometimes even ambulances inquire whether the person being collected is covered. It's certainly part of the NHS's job to ensure, where possible, that its patients' treatment is covered and/or will be paid for, it shouldn't be expected to be part of immigration control...
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time...

Similar Threads

  1. Baker quits as Home Office minister
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-2014, 10:23 AM
  2. VIDEO: Home Office questions
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2014, 09:39 PM
  3. Top Home Office official resigns
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-08-2012, 05:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •