Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Alcohol minimum unit cost

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    well, the one Wetherspoons recently ditched round here as as unprofitable (!) reopened last week under new owbers. A pint of real ale from the local big brewer cost me 2.10
    I guess it mainly depends on how much rent the owner of the pub charges. My brother has someone working for him who said (so of course maybe embellished) that a dozen or so years ago, he was being charged 50k a year rent in Gwynedd for his pub. And in wages, business rates, etc etc
    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    well, the one Wetherspoons recently ditched round here as as unprofitable (!) reopened last week under new owbers. A pint of real ale from the local big brewer cost me 2.10
    Wasn’t/isn’t the Queens a hotel? If so I guess business rates suck up any profit beer brought in. After all Wetherspoons has a few more pubs in the area — though it is surprising the churn in its pubs, bars and hotels when nationally the total number seems to increase year on year. My local W seems to have most beers at 2.55 and Guinness at 3.15. As far as I remember, The Auld Shillelagh charges 4.50 for a properly poured Guinness...
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time meanwhile, still waiting for the whip hand that Enoch forecast...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    Wasn’t/isn’t the Queens a hotel? If so I guess business rates suck up any profit beer brought in. After all Wetherspoons has a few more pubs in the area — though it is surprising the churn in its pubs, bars and hotels when nationally the total number seems to increase year on year. My local W seems to have most beers at 2.55 and Guinness at 3.15. As far as I remember, The Auld Shillelagh charges 4.50 for a properly poured Guinness...
    wrong place

the queens hotel in bridge street was a Lloyds bar Wetherspoons were looking to dump it but dumped the Tom toya Lewis at thecend of commercial road instead.

The queens is now offering b and b with proper breakfast cheaper than the shitty Travelodge directly across the road
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"