Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Trumpís steel and aluminium tariff threaten thousands of Europe jobs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Trumpís steel and aluminium tariff threaten thousands of Europe jobs

    The European steel association Eurofer in Brussels today warned the US Presidentís new import tariffs were ďharmful and counterproductiveĒ and could lead to the loss of tens of thousands of jobs in Europe.

    http://worldabcnews.com/2018/03/09/t...bs-world-news/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,401
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 160 Times in 138 Posts
    You have to admire their chutzpah - wonder if they were complaining so loudly 2 years ago?

    'EU imposes import duties of up to 73.7% on cheap Chinese steel'

    https://www.theguardian.com/business...rt-talbot-tata

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to El Jefe For This Useful Post:

    johnofgwent (17-03-2018)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,938
    Thanks
    1,147
    Thanked 553 Times in 483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradlux View Post
    The European steel association Eurofer in Brussels today warned the US Presidentís new import tariffs were ďharmful and counterproductiveĒ and could lead to the loss of tens of thousands of jobs in Europe.

    http://worldabcnews.com/2018/03/09/t...bs-world-news/
    Do you remember the good old days when camerons conservative government vetoed the eu idea of putting tariffs on cheap chinese imported steel ,

    UK accused of leading efforts to block limits to Chinese steel dumping




    Britain acted as ringleader in preventing increased tarrifs on cheap imports to EU, according to European Steel Association



    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...hinese-dumping


    then when the likes of port talbot steelworks nearly went under because of energy costs , cheap chinese steel imports etc etc brexiters blamed the eu for it?

    Brexit campaigners blame steel crisis on EU
    https://www.ft.com/content/f58ed5d8-...c-d27c7117d132

    begs the question , who is englands government going to blame for their short sitedness and incompetence once england is out of the eu????

    Who will become the convenient scapegoat for englands continued decline?
    sing to me the history of my country. It is sweet to the soul to hear it. Flann Mac Lonain ( c.850-918 a.d)
    Alba gu brath An rud is fhiach a ghabhail, 's fhiach e iarraidh

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    2,797
    Thanks
    277
    Thanked 221 Times in 193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post

    begs the question , who is englands government going to blame for their short sitedness and incompetence once england is out of the eu????

    Who will become the convenient scapegoat for englands continued decline?
    Geeez Thomas - you haven't addressed your neglected education have you?? England don't have a government!!

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    942
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 142 Times in 118 Posts
    And what should Trump do? Endorse policies that directly harm American workers and Steelworks? I know we Europeans are not used to it, but the ULTIMATE goal of a National Government is the interest and the well being of its people. All National Governments should pursue the interests of the nation, we are the only ones who insist that globalization and free market are the best options if we are to ensure a wealthy future for our children. But globalization only penalizes the workers who are forced to compete with low-wage labour forces on the other side of the planet, and amend their rights and cut their salaries as a result, to keep up with "competitiveness".
    ęThe Muslims refuse our culture and try to impose their culture on us. I reject them, and this is not only my duty toward my culture - it is toward my values, my principles, my civilization.Ľ - Oriana Fallaci

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,578
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 305 Times in 241 Posts
    Tariff barriers can have their place but they can create other barriers to trade and lead to other inefficiencies and more state meddling in markets. The result is more expensive steel which, in turn, results in (say) car production being more expensive and therefore less competitive. I am not sure whether this particular state intervention is a good idea or not - it is certainly good for Trump as it helps to replenish his falling support base (I doubt he is doing it because he feels bad for the out-of-work steel workers).

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Newport, South Wales
    Posts
    8,905
    Thanks
    1,400
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 939 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Um ...

    For decades, the UK has seen its steel making capacity deliberately removed by direct action of the UK government, to the point that now, we make hardly any. My brother lost his job at the steelworks in Cardiff whenit was shut down and lost the one he was relocated to in Newport some years later. Now, where we used to have industry, we have houses no -one can afford and the odd office block with call centres offering near to NMW rates for the desperate.

    Why should I be remotely worried if "Europe" will lose thousands of jobs because of American tariffs on steel imports. It's not going to make a blind bit of difference to the UK.
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

    Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    942
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 142 Times in 118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grumzed View Post
    Tariff barriers can have their place but they can create other barriers to trade and lead to other inefficiencies and more state meddling in markets. The result is more expensive steel which, in turn, results in (say) car production being more expensive and therefore less competitive. I am not sure whether this particular state intervention is a good idea or not - it is certainly good for Trump as it helps to replenish his falling support base (I doubt he is doing it because he feels bad for the out-of-work steel workers).
    So-called "free market" is what penalizes western european workers who are either forced to accept lower wages, or get fired due to their factory's relocation in eastern europe (where lowe wage workers will increase the profit for the shareholders). More state is the solution, because "free market" does not take into consideration workers' rights and dignity - all the free market cares about is "competitiveness" and "flexibility", both concepts often translate into (as i said) lower wages and less rights. The State should protect the workers and their rights, uphold the Constitution and prevent factories and companies to move their production or cut salaries. I don't like Trump, because he is a capitalist nonetheless, but tariffs are a good method to protect locally produced goods from unfair competition in China or similar low-wage low-rights labour forces. There's no other way to do it, after all.
    ęThe Muslims refuse our culture and try to impose their culture on us. I reject them, and this is not only my duty toward my culture - it is toward my values, my principles, my civilization.Ľ - Oriana Fallaci

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South London
    Posts
    8,156
    Thanks
    902
    Thanked 969 Times in 733 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benacus View Post
    So-called "free market" is what penalizes western european workers who are either forced to accept lower wages, or get fired due to their factory's relocation in eastern europe (where lowe wage workers will increase the profit for the shareholders). More state is the solution, because "free market" does not take into consideration workers' rights and dignity - all the free market cares about is "competitiveness" and "flexibility", both concepts often translate into (as i said) lower wages and less rights. The State should protect the workers and their rights, uphold the Constitution and prevent factories and companies to move their production or cut salaries. I don't like Trump, because he is a capitalist nonetheless, but tariffs are a good method to protect locally produced goods from unfair competition in China or similar low-wage low-rights labour forces. There's no other way to do it, after all.
    I would disagree that there is no other way Benacus . European heavy industry has become uncompetitive due to a raft of green taxes and the EU's anti fossil fuel directives and regulations . While China has made the most of a cheap energy supply we have seen our energy costs in comparison go through the roof . The EU's interference in our energy markets has made heavy industry in Europe uncompetitive .

    National governments must ensure cheap energy either subsidised or preferably cheap to produce and superior products through investment in technologies . Open free markets are the future the answer to protecting jobs is making sure your product is better and as economically efficient as the competition .

    Clean modern fossil fuel power stations ,fracking , nuclear and yes where viable green energy is the way forward not by importing gas from Russia .There is always another way , you just have to leave the EU to find it .

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    942
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 142 Times in 118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    I would disagree that there is no other way Benacus . European heavy industry has become uncompetitive due to a raft of green taxes and the EU's anti fossil fuel directives and regulations . While China has made the most of a cheap energy supply we have seen our energy costs in comparison go through the roof . The EU's interference in our energy markets has made heavy industry in Europe uncompetitive .

    National governments must ensure cheap energy either subsidised or preferably cheap to produce and superior products through investment in technologies . Open free markets are the future the answer to protecting jobs is making sure your product is better and as economically efficient as the competition .

    Clean modern fossil fuel power stations ,fracking , nuclear and yes where viable green energy is the way forward not by importing gas from Russia .There is always another way , you just have to leave the EU to find it .
    While i agree that EU's regulation have penalized our industries, i think this highlights how unfair and unsustainable our economic system is. In Europe, you have the EU approving and enforcing regulations to protect the environment and reduce pollution (with related costs) while in China you see clouds of polluted air covering entire cities. I don't think the free market is compatible with workers rights, because as i said earlier our economic system is based on competitiveness - given our penalizations, the only way to compete with nations like China is to cut the costs of the labor force (our salaries) or curb our rights (flexibility, such as getting fired due to relocation in eastern european countries).

    Those who are competing are the masses of workers, turned one against each other, while their capitalist masters increase their profits. I don't think this is the future, i think the future is the "Socialismo Nazionale" (an ideology developed between 1900 and 1910 in Italy, translates into "National Socialism", but not related to "Nazism"). A socialist economy, with a strong emphasis on national interests and needs, is - in my opinion - the only answer to create a fair society where Workers Rights are respected, and where "competition" does not equal social massacre.
    ęThe Muslims refuse our culture and try to impose their culture on us. I reject them, and this is not only my duty toward my culture - it is toward my values, my principles, my civilization.Ľ - Oriana Fallaci

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-03-2018, 03:15 PM
  2. Corbyn to set out 'tariff-free' Brexit plan
    By stevectaylor in forum Brexit
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 28-02-2018, 09:59 AM
  3. Lord Rennard allies threaten action
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-01-2014, 01:46 AM
  4. War on thousands of local borough council 'non-jobs'
    By soloman in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-02-2011, 02:27 AM
  5. Unions threaten strike action
    By soloman in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-09-2010, 08:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •