Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Leaked assessment

Thanks
    This, like most issues in fairness, is a futile discussion anyway. That the overwhelming majority of economists are against Brexit isnít in doubt. Evidence has been provided & the simplest of google searches will show various economic & business organisations & institutions that concur with this. We then reach the point of Brexiteers discrediting them &/ or saying who needs experts anyway so whatís the point. Itís aays it all that most people know the name of the prominent economist for Brexit, Minford, because there are so few of them.

Loved the comment from Scott about only looking at facts too! Brexit is a cult built on faith with not a fact in sight.

Thanks
    Glass houses come to mind.
    ...till I die I will not remove mine integrity from me, xx

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Remainer View Post
    This, like most issues in fairness, is a futile discussion anyway. That the overwhelming majority of economists are against Brexit isnít in doubt.
    By definition, it is in doubt, because I doubt it.
    Evidence has been provided & the simplest of google searches will show various economic & business organisations & institutions that concur with this.
    Such small samples of economists does not constitute evidence. It's equivalent of asking 1 person in a football stadium whether it was a good match, and thinking you have the answer.
    Loved the comment from Scott about only looking at facts too! Brexit is a cult built on faith with not a fact in sight.
    Then your eyes are closed. Here are two facts: proper national control of immigration, not paying for membership.
    those princes have accomplished most who paid little heed to keeping their promises, but who knew how to manipulate the minds of men craftily.

Machiavelli, The Prince

4. The Following User Says Thank You to scott777 For This Useful Post:

T00ts (13-03-2018)

Thanks
    That the overwhelming majority of economists are against Brexit isnít in doubt. Evidence has been provided & the simplest of google searches will show various economic & business organisations & institutions that concur with this.

Exactly the same economists, business organisations and institutions were also in favour of the UK joining the ERM and Euro.

The ERM fiasco caused a recession and we dodged a bullet by staying out of the Euro.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to El Jefe For This Useful Post:

Barry (13-03-2018), T00ts (13-03-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Exactly the same economists, business organisations and institutions were also in favour of the UK joining the ERM and Euro.

The ERM fiasco caused a recession and we dodged a bullet by staying out of the Euro.
    Can you provide links to back that up that the same list that Remainer provided, also they all backed the UK joining the Euro?

My recollection on the UK joining the Euro was that it was a very controversial idea and economists were split on the issue even back then.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Javert View Post
    Can you provide links to back that up that the same list that Remainer provided, also they all backed the UK joining the Euro?

My recollection on the UK joining the Euro was that it was a very controversial idea and economists were split on the issue even back then.
    https://www.economist.com/node/199382

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevlin View Post
    This is beyond parody. You site a sample of a 164 economists as conclusive proof of economists view (I'm fortunately too young to have been interested in politics at this time so have no view other than that of hindsight). Yet one with 639 & the unequivocal support of a plethora of organisations & institutions such as the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS), the National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR) and the Centre for Economic Performance (CEP) is dismissed as not representative...

Where will the goalposts be moved to next, the moon...?!

Thanks
    The trouble with the 'experts' is that too often their funding brings their true independence into question.
    ...till I die I will not remove mine integrity from me, xx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to T00ts For This Useful Post:

scott777 (14-03-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T00ts View Post
    The trouble with the 'experts' is that too often their funding brings their true independence into question.
    There we go with moving goalposts again. When it is disputed by brexiteers that the majority of economists are against brexit, once proven this is indisputably correct, they are corrupt & its the minority who are correct anyway.

It's religion v science, faith v fact, belief v being.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Javert View Post

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/1371736.stm

Remember the CBI was in favor of joining the ERM and Euro and the TUC - it was the establishment view at the time.