Page 100 of 100 FirstFirst ... 50 98 99 100

Thread: Brexit tower thread (aka General brexit discussion)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boggart View Post
    The Rebate was gone as of 2020, regardless of Brexit.
    Thatcher agreed the rebate in 1984, it's in place until 2020 when the next round of EU budget negotiations takes place. There was NO and is NO indication that the rebate would have been removed in the 2020-2026 budget talks. Where's the source for that claim, I guess a brexiteer. While the UK needs the remaining EU countries to agree to the rebate, likewise the EU budget is a unanimous decision so if the EU had (no indication they ever planned to) planned to reduce or remove the rebate, the UK could just refuse to agree to the budget and the EU fiscal policy would stall. SO I think that claim is nonsense.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry T View Post
    There was NO and is NO indication that the rebate would have been removed in the 2020-2026 budget talks. Where's the source for that claim, I guess a brexiteer. .

Well its actually GŁnther Oettinger the EU Commisioner in charge of the Budget - not sure if he is a brexiteer or not.

https://www.politico.eu/article/oett...xit-eu-budget/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Well its actually GŁnther Oettinger the EU Commisioner in charge of the Budget - not sure if he is a brexiteer or not.

https://www.politico.eu/article/oett...xit-eu-budget/
    Did you even bother to look at the link you posted. It's a comment about rebates POST BREXIT. Do I need to explain....a hint, POST BREXIT the UK won't be in the EU anymore so wouldn't be getting any rebate. The rebate was only for the UK while it was a member and making payment. If you stayed you would have kept the rebate.

What it does mean is if the UK wants SM & CU access after 2020, they will have to apy and your guaranteed there won't be a rebate, not after brexit.

Thanks
    Well if you had read the ink you may be better informed - he is proposing to scrap ALL rebates, not just the UK one.

“With the U.K. leaving, the end of the EU-U.K. rebate offers us the chance to cancel all other rebates as well,” Oettinger said Thursday.