Page 338 of 338 FirstFirst ... 238 288 336 337 338
Results 3,371 to 3,373 of 3373

Thread: Brexit tower thread (aka General brexit discussion)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by enclosur View Post
    If you really want to keep on defending stupid anti-EU myths, could you not move on to a different one. After are all there are plenty of other lies to choose from: church bells to be silenced; fishing boats obliged to carry condoms; U.K. hospitals forced to employ people who do not speak English; women to turn in their old vibrators for recycling before they can buy a new one, Full English Breakfast to be banned, barmaids to be banned from displaying cleavage, energy-efficiency requirements for new ovens and cookers will mean the end of the Sunday roast, that shellfish (mussels, oysters and clams) will have to be given rest breaks while being transported; that smoky bacon-flavored crisps and the sale of unwrapped sweets are to be banned, home-made cakes to be banned from sale unless they carry a special label declaring whether they contain nuts.

You probably believed all of those as well so plenty of material for you.
    How about instead of childishly trying to defend the indisputable fact that the EU are in fact a source of ridiculous, and unnecessary regulation, ( which is applicable to ALL UK businesses, whether or not they trade with the EU, you apply your overly simple mind to illustrating the usefulness of the specific ridiculous regulation that I was referencing...then , you might address where I have claimed that ALL of EU regulations are ridiculous....albeit, they are ALL absolutely unnecessary wrt a sovereign country - which is responsible for its own regulatory framework - whether good or just ridiculous.
    Incidentally, whilst you are at it, why not try , (which was beyond the wit of your co-puerile poster), to present a credible justification for the ridiculous 'bendy' banana regulation.....or unlike him, credibly illustrate that it wasn't real!

Thanks
    Am I not reading Johnson's proposal properly or did I miss something important? It seems to me that his proposal amounts to a soft Brexit, just as May's did. The only significant difference I can see with May's proposal is how to (kinda-sorta but not really well) resolve the Irish border problem. Why is his current proposal spoken about as something fundamentally different from hers?

My current view, without your feedback to my question, is that somehow the media and the politicians are molding his proposal as different--as a "real" Brexit. I think you are still getting a soft Brexit. The oligarchs will not tolerate drastic economic change to a system which benefits them. It is really striking how the public discussion is managed by media forming the conversation, and also by how many pundits seem to take up whatever the mantra is on a given day. Even the forum discussion is shaped by the latest (and to me misleading) media representations.

A second question is why he can assume the DUP's support while May had to kiss their feet?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dazed View Post
    Am I not reading Johnson's proposal properly or did I miss something important? It seems to me that his proposal amounts to a soft Brexit, just as May's did. The only significant difference I can see with May's proposal is how to (kinda-sorta but not really well) resolve the Irish border problem. Why is his current proposal spoken about as something fundamentally different from hers?

My current view, without your feedback to my question, is that somehow the media and the politicians are molding his proposal as different--as a "real" Brexit. I think you are still getting a soft Brexit. The oligarchs will not tolerate drastic economic change to a system which benefits them. It is really striking how the public discussion is managed by media forming the conversation, and also by how many pundits seem to take up whatever the mantra is on a given day. Even the forum discussion is shaped by the latest (and to me misleading) media representations.

A second question is why he can assume the DUP's support while May had to kiss their feet?
    The two Brexit deals are indeed very much alike... the main difference is related to the 'back stop'. Boris's deal however, changes the 'back stop', which with May's deal, required agreement from the EU no less to finally leave - which was obviously totally unacceptable to the UK. With Boris' deal though, as I understand it, the 'back stop' proposed by May has been amended such that Stormont will be handed the 'responsibility' of deciding with Eire when the time is right for the final break with the EU... after a 4 year period...and of course, that doesn't suit the DUP's requirement of NI being treated exactly the same as the rest of the UK, and of course, the DUP don't have a majority in NI.