Thread: Productivity in Scotland at ‘lowest level in eight years’

Thanks

Productivity in Scotland at ‘lowest level in eight years’

Thanks
    so what do you think borkie?
    sing to me the history of my country. It is sweet to the soul to hear it. Flann Mac Lonain ( c.850-918 a.d)
    Alba gu brath An rud is fhiach a ghabhail, 's fhiach e iarraidh

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thomas For This Useful Post:

uganda (15-02-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    so what do you think borkie?
    Well Tommy, my first response would be productivity of what?

The usual thing is to think in terms of cars and coal and beer and treacle toffee which is all very fine and large, but is a bit of a bugger in a place such as Scotland which is at the arse end of the Empire and where transport costs mean that the Scots have to work extra hard to stand still. Services, particularly financial are harder to measure but usually require less effort and heavy lifting. So if Scotland is moving in that direction then all well and good.

But if the SNP spokesman/girlie lacks the mother wit to pick up that basic point I would just sit back and have a quiet giggle while the opposition has him/her for lunch.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    Well Tommy, my first response would be productivity of what?

The usual thing is to think in terms of cars and coal and beer and treacle toffee which is all very fine and large, but is a bit of a bugger in a place such as Scotland which is at the arse end of the Empire and where transport costs mean that the Scots have to work extra hard to stand still. Services, particularly financial are harder to measure but usually require less effort and heavy lifting. So if Scotland is moving in that direction then all well and good.

But if the SNP spokesman/girlie lacks the mother wit to pick up that basic point I would just sit back and have a quiet giggle while the opposition has him/her for lunch.
    I havent even read the article as i refuse to click on the link to that paper unless you archive it.

Having said that i can imagine word for word what it says , no different to any other day.

I dont think the uk can beat scotland with the low productivity stick , in recent years from memory of discussions the uk has the worst productivity levels in the g7 , and among the worst in europe , especially the big boys where uk workers work on average work far more than the germans or french but dont come anywhere near their productivity levels.

I appreciate it has marginally increased recently , but still lags far behind.

Havent seen much data about productivity in scotland recently , but what i have read is this....

Productivity growth in Scotland has been much faster in Scotland than in the UK - as measured by output per hour worked. Since the start of the recession, productivity has increased by 7.6 per cent, while it has grown by only 0.6 per cent in the UK as a whole.
    https://www.snp.org/scotland_economy_get_the_facts

as well as being the top destination outside london for foreign investment.

We are doing alright thanks borkie , but could be much better if freed from the shackles of the dead hand of westminster , who control the majority of levers needed to run our economy.

Saw this the other day , in line with unionists much trotted out line scotland does four times as much trade with the uk than the eu....

A graph showing Irelands exports to the uk compared to exports to the EU since 1962.

As the lady who posted it said , its amazing what you can do when freed from the shackles of the uk and your destiny is in your own hands.

Something we scots must aspire to .

on your final point..

while the opposition has him/her for lunch.
    you obviously have never seen the opposition in holyrood.Dont hold yer breath.
    sing to me the history of my country. It is sweet to the soul to hear it. Flann Mac Lonain ( c.850-918 a.d)
    Alba gu brath An rud is fhiach a ghabhail, 's fhiach e iarraidh

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    I havent even read the article .
    And then you follow with a critique the length of a bible ....