Thread: The rise of the German Thought Police

Thanks

The rise of the German Thought Police

Germany has introduced state censorship on social media platforms, came into effect on October 1, 2017. The new law requires social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, to censor their users on behalf of the German state. Social media companies are obliged to delete or block any online “criminal offenses” such as libel, slander, defamation or incitement, within 24 hours of receipt of a user complaint — regardless of whether the content is accurate or not. Social media companies are permitted seven days for more complicated cases. If they fail to do so, the German government can fine them up to 50 million euros for failing to comply with the law.
    The new censorship law, however, was not fully enforced until January 1, 2018, in order to give the social media platforms time to prepare for their new role as the privatized thought police of the German state. Social media platforms now have the power to shape the form of current political and cultural discourse by deciding who will speak and what they will say.

Don't argue with Mute, the ex Stasi agent!

Thanks
    Hmm. My first thought was similar. However, think about it. If it is used to stop malicious and unfounded allegations, accusations and lies (no matter who or what agenda they are made in support of), perhaps that's no bad thing. As long as it applies to ALL "user complaints". I've a feeling that it won't though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DeppityDawg For This Useful Post:

cromwell (31-01-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeppityDawg View Post
    Hmm. My first thought was similar. However, think about it. If it is used to stop malicious and unfounded allegations, accusations and lies (no matter who or what agenda they are made in support of), perhaps that's no bad thing. As long as it applies to ALL "user complaints". I've a feeling that it won't though.
    So do I. I feel that a certain outlook will not be tolerated.

Thanks
    Unfortunately this is not a new rise, the German Tought Police existed for a very, very long time. My area welcomes 2,4 million tourists every year and Germans are one of the largest group of said tourists.. when they come here they speak about things they don't ever dare to mention in Germany, in fear of retaliation by authorities and social justice warriors in general. As if they have reached a "free speech zone", opposed to the place where they come from where freedom of speech is not as free as the name suggests.
    «The Muslims refuse our culture and try to impose their culture on us. I reject them, and this is not only my duty toward my culture - it is toward my values, my principles, my civilization.» - Oriana Fallaci

Thanks
    When a country bans music and opinions it has ceased to be free.

Thanks
    Don't we effectively have pretty much the same rules here in the UK?

There may not be specific time limits and the sanctions are probably not as extreme, but I'm pretty sure in the UK these companies are obligated to remove illegal material when it's flagged up to them.

If I'm wrong please correct me?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,540 Times in 1,232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Javert View Post
    Don't we effectively have pretty much the same rules here in the UK?

There may not be specific time limits and the sanctions are probably not as extreme, but I'm pretty sure in the UK these companies are obligated to remove illegal material when it's flagged up to them.

If I'm wrong please correct me?
    Do we? didn't the govt have to warn them of extremist content,just go on YouTube and type in the eternal Jew which is the nazi propaganda film Der Ewige Jude.

I have mixed thoughts on this being there,does it serve as a salutary lesson on the dangers of hatred and extremism or does it only perpetuate a hatred that goes back hundreds of years?
    When the eagles are silent the parrots begin to jabber.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    Do we? didn't the govt have to warn them of extremist content,just go on YouTube and type in the eternal Jew which is the nazi propaganda film Der Ewige Jude.

I have mixed thoughts on this being there,does it serve as a salutary lesson on the dangers of hatred and extremism or does it only perpetuate a hatred that goes back hundreds of years?
    That depends on the motives and views of the viewer, I suspect.