Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Split from Cathy come home - heaven awaits?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Newport, South Wales
    Posts
    8,259
    Thanks
    1,190
    Thanked 976 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Well, I met the wife in a pulpit, from which I was delivering the sermon as part of a lay preaching team, but when I later found some of the people I'd be spending eternity with, i decided hell was more to my liking.
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

    Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    14,898
    Thanks
    3,689
    Thanked 3,436 Times in 2,657 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    Well, I met the wife in a pulpit, from which I was delivering the sermon as part of a lay preaching team, but when I later found some of the people I'd be spending eternity with, i decided hell was more to my liking.
    You want to go to hell?

    I hope you will forgive my observation that your tireless anger towards, and unrelenting hatred of, anyone who dares to try to represent us, suggests to me that you are already in it.
    It's amazing how common this narcissism is: I disagree with person A, and I also disagree with person B, therefore A and B are identical - Daniel Hannan

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3,482
    Thanks
    695
    Thanked 534 Times in 459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    Well, I met the wife in a pulpit, from which I was delivering the sermon as part of a lay preaching team, but when I later found some of the people I'd be spending eternity with, i decided hell was more to my liking.
    Whoa there John.

    I have read Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert Heinlein and can see the appeal of hell. And I sometimes take myself off to church for a few moments quiet thought and run out screaming when I realise that I might end up spending eternity with some of the dreary buggers alongside me. And I don't see the appeal of standing on God's right hand and singing his praises for all eternity. I spent the better part of thirty years brown nosing to my employers when I was a civil servant and that was enough.

    That said...

    I have decided to mortify the flesh this Christmas by reading The Divine Comedy by Dante. The latter was a priggish sod, but may well be right when he described the last circle of hell not as a fiery furnance but as a lake of solid ice.

    I don't like the cold.

    And I know a lot of Christians who are like Jesus and enjoy a drink. And the company of fallen women and even tax collectors. So maybe I will give heaven a try.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    343
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I'm sorry, I just don't get it. Possibly a hundred years ago when we knew little better I can understand mankind believing in some sort of God, but for heavens sake it's nearly 2018 and we have a far better understanding regarding our existence. Unfortunately the growth of Islam, which by all means is a pretty radical religion, is sending us backwards. Our European liberal governments are giving this religion an opportunity to breath and spout it's hate of everything non Muslim. Don't get me wrong, I dislike all religion, as it has no place in a modern society, but Islam typifies everything that is wrong about worshipping a fictitious creature.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    14,898
    Thanks
    3,689
    Thanked 3,436 Times in 2,657 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Know it View Post
    I'm sorry, I just don't get it. Possibly a hundred years ago when we knew little better I can understand mankind believing in some sort of God, but for heavens sake it's nearly 2018 and we have a far better understanding regarding our existence.
    I agree.

    Unfortunately the growth of Islam, which by all means is a pretty radical religion, is sending us backwards. Our European liberal governments are giving this religion an opportunity to breath and spout it's hate of everything non Muslim.
    The religion generally doesn't do that, anymore than Christianity and Judaism does. However, you do have plenty of opportunities to breathe and spout your hatred of Islam.

    Don't get me wrong, I dislike all religion, as it has no place in a modern society, but Islam typifies everything that is wrong about worshipping a fictitious creature.
    Extreme Islam does, yes. Not the rest of it. It's a simple category error that you and so many others make and it makes you get it wrong every time.
    It's amazing how common this narcissism is: I disagree with person A, and I also disagree with person B, therefore A and B are identical - Daniel Hannan

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    343
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uganda View Post
    I agree.



    The religion generally doesn't do that, anymore than Christianity and Judaism does. However, you do have plenty of opportunities to breathe and spout your hatred of Islam.



    Extreme Islam does, yes. Not the rest of it. It's a simple category error that you and so many others make and it makes you get it wrong every time.
    There is only one type of Islam, and it's extreme. So called moderate Muslims are like so called Christians, they wear the badge, but don't actually practice the religion. Unlike Christians they don't have the opportunity to turn their back on their religion without persecution, so they have to keep wearing the badge.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    14,898
    Thanks
    3,689
    Thanked 3,436 Times in 2,657 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Know it View Post
    There is only one type of Islam, and it's extreme. So called moderate Muslims are like so called Christians, they wear the badge, but don't actually practice the religion. Unlike Christians they don't have the opportunity to turn their back on their religion without persecution, so they have to keep wearing the badge.
    This is demonstrably nonsense. If the only type of Islam is extreme, why aren't we all dead yet? Just, for example.
    It's amazing how common this narcissism is: I disagree with person A, and I also disagree with person B, therefore A and B are identical - Daniel Hannan

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    343
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uganda View Post
    This is demonstrably nonsense. If the only type of Islam is extreme, why aren't we all dead yet? Just, for example.
    because the majority are fortunately non orthodox. Hope that answers your question
    Keep Britain British, whoops, it's to late

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    14,898
    Thanks
    3,689
    Thanked 3,436 Times in 2,657 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Know it View Post
    because the majority are fortunately non orthodox. Hope that answers your question
    No, it doesn't - it merely raises another question.

    If the majority are non-orthodox, you mean they are moderate and not a threat, right?
    It's amazing how common this narcissism is: I disagree with person A, and I also disagree with person B, therefore A and B are identical - Daniel Hannan

Similar Threads

  1. Cathy Come Home - Has anything changed?
    By albertcornercrew in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 26-12-2017, 03:10 PM
  2. Ken Livingstone awaits Labour verdict over Hitler comments
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-04-2017, 03:09 PM
  3. Sex killer Gore is on his way to Heaven - thanks to Florida sentence
    By Barry in forum Religion, Faith and Spirituality
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 14-04-2012, 09:29 AM
  4. Heaven is a 'fairy story', says Stephen Hawking
    By Midas in forum Religion, Faith and Spirituality
    Replies: 309
    Last Post: 30-01-2012, 01:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •