Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Trump to recognise Jerusalem as capital of Israel and move Embassy?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    13,931
    Thanks
    3,356
    Thanked 3,258 Times in 2,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    I think those who are whingeing about this ***REALLY*** need to stop and think on the above .....
    And I think you really need to stop and think about the fact that just because you follow through on a promise to do something stupid does not mean people should not oppose it. In and of itself, doing what you are elected to do is a good thing, but democracy does not end at the ballot box. If you are determined that it does, then watch out, because I will be reminding you, every time you whinge and bleat and squinny and wet your knickers about Blair's immigration policies, that he was democratically elected more than once to carry them out.
    It's amazing how common this narcissism is: I disagree with person A, and I also disagree with person B, therefore A and B are identical - Daniel Hannan

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to uganda For This Useful Post:

    thomas (07-12-2017)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    2,358
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 567 Times in 453 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    A guy puts in his manifesto that he will do something if elected.

    He gets elected

    And he does what he promised

    And the world is pissed.
    Yes. In this case, he effectively set out his stall as "I am a political illiterate who will pour petrol into the World's most volatile region if elected, possibly because a tiny, fanatical group of religiously-motivated voters would like me to" and millions of cretins still voted for him.

    The World has every right to be "pi**ed" when it's most delicate region threatens to be thrown into even greater turmoil than it's known for decades, by a man who considers no-one beyond his small rump of supporters.

    Of course, it now becomes apparent that many of the things he "promised" are either undeliverable or based on outright lies. ("Trumpcare" will result in less people having health coverage and paying more for it. "Tax Reform" will result in massive cuts for the rich and higher taxes for everyone else. "Cleaning the swamp" involves filling Washington with more cronies, lobbyists and corruption than there was before. Etc, etc, etc...)

  4. #13
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    13,931
    Thanks
    3,356
    Thanked 3,258 Times in 2,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by RaymondDelauney View Post
    a man who considers no-one beyond his small rump of supporters.
    I agree with your over-arching point, as a quick glance at my post above your one will confirm, but 60 million people is not a 'rump'.
    It's amazing how common this narcissism is: I disagree with person A, and I also disagree with person B, therefore A and B are identical - Daniel Hannan

  5. #14
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    719
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 98 Times in 82 Posts
    What Mr Trump has just done is the equivalent of sending out an invitation to every Islamic extremist group on earth to target the United States and American interests around the world, he has inflamed a long standing simmering dispute and I predict retaliation will follow.

    Yet again the man proves to be an idiot, with absolutely no idea of diplomacy, tact or understanding of the world and history.
    We're all Jock Tamson's bairns

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Witchfinder For This Useful Post:

    uganda (07-12-2017)

  7. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    2,358
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 567 Times in 453 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uganda View Post
    ...60 million people is not a 'rump'.
    While I'd normally know better than to get into a contest with Mr U, I'd just like to point out that Mr Trump's core support (those who will continue to ignore anything he does and vote for him regardless) - which was always a small group of the total electorate - has steadily continued to shrink further since last November. There has never been a President with such consistantly low approval ratings.

  8. #16
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    13,931
    Thanks
    3,356
    Thanked 3,258 Times in 2,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by RaymondDelauney View Post
    While I'd normally know better than to get into a contest with Mr U,
    No-one who fights clean has anything to fear from me!

    I'd just like to point out that Mr Trump's core support (those who will continue to ignore anything he does and vote for him regardless) - which was always a small group of the total electorate - has steadily continued to shrink further since last November. There has never been a President with such consistantly low approval ratings.
    I don't dispute any of that. But 60-odd million voted for him and that's why he's President. I wager a large percentage of those would vote for him again if there were a snap election (something they don't have there, of course) tomorrow.
    It's amazing how common this narcissism is: I disagree with person A, and I also disagree with person B, therefore A and B are identical - Daniel Hannan

  9. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pixels on your screen
    Posts
    6,417
    Thanks
    917
    Thanked 877 Times in 643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchfinder View Post
    What Mr Trump has just done is the equivalent of sending out an invitation to every Islamic extremist group on earth to target the United States and American interests around the world, he has inflamed a long standing simmering dispute and I predict retaliation will follow.

    Yet again the man proves to be an idiot, with absolutely no idea of diplomacy, tact or understanding of the world and history.
    Absolutely, it's not as if they needed an excuse to blow up a load of families at a girlie concert in Manchester, is it?

  10. #18
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    13,931
    Thanks
    3,356
    Thanked 3,258 Times in 2,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Absolutely, it's not as if they needed an excuse to blow up a load of families at a girlie concert in Manchester, is it?
    What he is saying is that such attacks will be more likely, not less. And beyond that, there are other Palestinians with peaceful intentions despite their anger, and this will increase their anger. There is only so much an oppressed people can take before they hit back.
    It's amazing how common this narcissism is: I disagree with person A, and I also disagree with person B, therefore A and B are identical - Daniel Hannan

  11. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pixels on your screen
    Posts
    6,417
    Thanks
    917
    Thanked 877 Times in 643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uganda View Post
    What he is saying is that such attacks will be more likely, not less. And beyond that, there are other Palestinians with peaceful intentions despite their anger, and this will increase their anger. There is only so much an oppressed people can take before they hit back.
    Of course there are Palestinians with peaceful intentions. More than a million of them live in Israel and love it.
    What do you recognise to be the state capital of Israel?
    What has actually changed? Nothing, no borders moved, no one attacked and hurt or killed.
    Of course, the terrorists will use any excuse to attack. It's what they do.

  12. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    2,358
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 567 Times in 453 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    What has actually changed? Nothing, no borders moved, no one attacked and hurt or killed.
    I take it you don't get the (powerful) symbolism at work here. Try reading a history of the Crusades (Runciman is probably best) and follow it up with Colin Schindler's book on modern Israel and Ilan Pappe's book on Palestine. It'll all be made clear...

Similar Threads

  1. British woman murdered in Jerusalem
    By Barry in forum War, Conflicts & Terrorism Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 17-04-2017, 09:30 AM
  2. UK is set to re-open Iran embassy
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17-06-2014, 09:10 AM
  3. Hague opens new embassy in Somalia
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-04-2013, 06:11 PM
  4. Israel plans 1,300 East Jerusalem Jewish settler homes
    By Midas in forum War, Conflicts & Terrorism Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 25-11-2010, 06:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •