Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MPs call for wider NI Troubles 'amnesty'

Thanks
    Blog Entries

MPs call for wider NI Troubles 'amnesty'

The BBC reports The proposal by Tory and Labour MPs would prevent ex-soldiers and paramilitaries being prosecuted.

More...

Thanks
    Funny how this turns up just as the cases for prosecution of the Bloody Sunday killers are being considered.

IMO, they should get any trials out of the way first.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RaymondDelauney View Post
    Funny how this turns up just as the cases for prosecution of the Bloody Sunday killers are being considered.

IMO, they should get any trials out of the way first.
    No, it isn't "funny". There isn't much funny about any of it, Delauney. The reason a statute is being suggested is because its almost impossible for HET to gather any evidence, let alone bring prosecutions against former para-militaries, and if you actually knew anything about the conflict instead of the sanitised versions you read in the Guardian, then you'd know why. So hey, pop in an indignant left wing platitude or two.

There are potentially hundreds of cases being lined up against former members of the security forces, funded by public money, because its easy to do. The records largely exist. Sitreps, patrol reports, witness statements, SOC cards. None of that exists for the unholy ops of the paramilitaries. Even you can work that out. And why the milkman who witnessed a doorstep murder isn't going to say a word even 30 years later. That's without the unknown numbers of OTRs (on the run letters) generously dished to the paramilitary world and his wife by Tony Blair's government as part of the GFA.

The vast majority of deaths are attributable to paramilitaries, yet the vast majority of so called legacy cases and the budget behind HET are being lined up against the security forces. All the MPs are saying is that because soldiers were never included in the GFA clause that grants and an amnesty, nothing is going to be lost by a statute because few, if any, paramilitaries will ever be tried for legacy cases. Which makes many of us who served there wonder if that is precisely what some people want.

It isn't hard to understand.

Last edited by cromwell; 06-12-2017 at 10:54 AM. Reason: comment removed

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeppityDawg For This Useful Post:

Barry (06-12-2017), Borchester (08-12-2017), Major Sinic (08-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 1,090 Posts
    I lived on a Manchester council estate,not a lot for lads from there my mate joined the army and told me he was sh1t scared at times though they had laughs at times too in NI.
    War ain't nice and civil war less so because basically that's what that was,I remember a lad from the corner killed there and standing on the street with a lot of others whilst a flag draped hearse passed and thinking poor sod.
    And as ever turning to my bette noir if a barsteward like bliar escapes prosecution and murdering terrorists from both sides tell me why should a lot of working class lads doing its nations bidding be persecuted.
    A lie gets halfway round the world before the truth can get its trousers on.

Thanks
    Itís distasteful to see any killers and torturers get away with their crimes as part of any settlement. But if it puts the lid on violence until it grows out of the system, I guess people just have to hold their noses and go along with it...
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time ó meanwhile, still waiting for the whip hand that Enoch forecast...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    And as ever turning to my bette noir if a barsteward like bliar escapes prosecution and murdering terrorists from both sides tell me why should a lot of working class lads doing its nations bidding be persecuted.
    Because it's not in most peoples memory anymore, Cromwell. Like the first comment in this thread, it suits lots of "nice" people to wear some kind of national hair shirt and address the states crimes, in the interests of a "peace" they never had to risk a hair on their heads for. Meanwhile, that hundreds of killers go about their lives with little danger that justice will ever catch up with them doesn't interest them in the slightest. This could have been about the tens of thousand of working class lads who just did their jobs, the vast majority of who killed no one. But the sad truth is that part of our political establishment is going to ensure that will never happen.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DeppityDawg For This Useful Post:

grumzed (07-12-2017)

Thanks
    The UK armed forces are probably one of the most disciplined in the world but when you have large numbers deployed, many of whom are just lads, there are always going to be some cases like Bloody Sunday. It was a coup for the republicans and the IRA that they got such publicity out of this and I note the SNP trolls are still stirring this up (as expected) with racist implications.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grumzed View Post
    and I note the SNP trolls are still stirring this up (as expected) with racist implications.
    Eh?

Is this directed at me?

please say what you mean and highlight any potential racism ?I havent commented on this thread till now?
    sing to me the history of my country. It is sweet to the soul to hear it. Flann Mac Lonain ( c.850-918 a.d)
    Alba gu brath An rud is fhiach a ghabhail, 's fhiach e iarraidh

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grumzed View Post
    The UK armed forces are probably one of the most disciplined in the world but when you have large numbers deployed, many of whom are just lads, there are always going to be some cases like Bloody Sunday. It was a coup for the republicans and the IRA that they got such publicity out of this and I note the SNP trolls are still stirring this up (as expected) with racist implications.
    ?

please elaborate grumzed?

If this is directed at me old boy , please dont call me an snp troll.

I was a member of this forum when you were still writing penpal letters with ink and paper , and i may have a different political outlook to you and point of view , but it doesnt mean i am trolling any thread nor in the employment of any particular political party.

Still i will wait further till you have the guts to address me properly one way or the other or just ignore what is at best an empty and meaningless throw away comment you havent the guts to direct to anyone in particular.
    sing to me the history of my country. It is sweet to the soul to hear it. Flann Mac Lonain ( c.850-918 a.d)
    Alba gu brath An rud is fhiach a ghabhail, 's fhiach e iarraidh

Thanks
    Yes, Thomas. I notice you SNP Trolls hunt in pairs and you have a replacement since the other chap left. I recognise techniques that you use are similar to those I have seen on other sites, one of which was completely taken over by SNP activists: turning every discussion you can on to attacking anyone or anything English and trying to encourage division of the UK in any way you can. The commonality of techniques, I suspect, is even the result of some training. Your comments to Borchester on another thread are indicative, not on this one.

This is all I am saying and I will not engage in discussion with you because I have no intention of feeding Trolls.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grumzed For This Useful Post:

Borchester (08-12-2017), Major Sinic (07-12-2017)