Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread: Catalonia

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uganda View Post
    You can 'point out' whatever you like, it doesn't make you right.
    Yes it does.

Diplomacy only works if both sides want to be diplomatic.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    Yes it does.
    No, it doesn't. Every opinion has to pass several tests - something you never let yours do, hence your troubles in your desperate quest to trip me up - and his had not passed any that I could see.

Diplomacy only works if both sides want to be diplomatic.
    Not only is that not necessarily so, because those who don't wish to be diplomatic can be persuaded, especially if they see they have a lot to lose, but in any case, often those who pose all macho would be quite grateful to be saved by an opponent agreeing to talk instead, as it can make it look like it was their idea all along. There are of course times when your 'theory', to give it a rather grand title, would indeed apply, but then no-one was saying any different.
    It’s amazing how common this narcissism is: I disagree with person A, and I also disagree with person B, therefore A and B are identical - Daniel Hannan

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uganda View Post
    You can 'point out' whatever you like, it doesn't make you right.
    Which part is wrong then

You wish to peddle the lie that the EU wish to agree a settlement? When that is the very last thing they need. You know the only thing that will save Franco German face is for the UK to be crucified for having the gall to tell the EU we've had enough of being given their cash cow.... For if they are shown to negotiate in good faith, all the other separatists in the wings will rise up and scream me too.
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    Which part is wrong then
    I refer the Rt Hon gentlemen to the post I addressed to Borchester, no. 242, just before yours.

You wish to peddle the lie that the EU wish to agree a settlement?
    What? What's this now? I wasn't talking about the EU, I believe you may be what is known these days as 'triggered'.

When that is the very last thing they need. You know the only thing that will save Franco German face is for the UK to be crucified for having the gall to tell the EU we've had enough of being given their cash cow.... For if they are shown to negotiate in good faith, all the other separatists in the wings will rise up and scream me too.
    Nothing to do with anything I said.
    It’s amazing how common this narcissism is: I disagree with person A, and I also disagree with person B, therefore A and B are identical - Daniel Hannan

Thanks
    Here is a cheery thought for you.
    Catalonia declares active Independence, which is only recognised by the Russian Federation, which offers support and protection.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampan View Post
    Catalonia declares active Independence, which is only recognised by the Russian Federation, which offers support and protection.
    Yes, I wonder why they would do that. Wikileaks supported the Catalans and cried about their "Oppression" well before October 1st when the oppression was obvious and overt.
    Russia would love to see any splits in the EU, after all, the EU want to create a United States of Europe military, which could be a problem for Putin.
    They probably will support the UK with trade after Brexit, too, in the same way, if we suck up to them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Barry For This Useful Post:

Sampan (14-10-2017)

Thanks
    Juncker: If we allow Catalonia to separate, others will do the same
    El Pas article
    He does qualify his comments to say it his none of his business.

If we allow Catalonia and it is not our business to separate, others will do the same, he said in a speech at Luxembourg University. I do not want that. I wouldnt like a European Union in 15 years that consists of some 98 states, he said, alluding to the 98 major regions that the EU is composed of...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampan View Post
    And the UK, who need someone to buy their typhoon euro fighters, and the Spanish contribution was the decals on the wings
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to johnofgwent For This Useful Post:

Sampan (14-10-2017)

Thanks
    Madrid will not listen.