Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread: Catalonia

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    The European arrest warrant of course being the way the Spanish have asked for Clara Ponsati's extradition will mean she has little chance of appeal let alone a fight . The whole point of it is to by-pass National legal systems in extradition cases . In short she will be on her way anytime soon .
    The worrying part for me though is that Mayhem seems keen on retaining ties to many of the 'security' arrangements that we have signed up to including the EAW .

The only way for us to protect political refugees is to come out of the EU justice system when we leave the EU , unfortunately for Clara it has come too late .
    I am most definitely no legal expert but I think you are wrong. She believes the case will go through the courts and so does her legal team. She says about the fund
    Initially, I need to raise £40k to organise the preliminary defence and hearings, as well as the substantial preparations required to investigate, lodge evidence in support and cite experts and witnesses, as a result I know I will need to increase my target as the case continues.
    Over £160,000 has been raised so far. Why not join in and donate something to help her defend the anti-democratic case pursued by the Spaniards?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by morayloon View Post
    I am most definitely no legal expert but I think you are wrong. She believes the case will go through the courts and so does her legal team. She says about the fund

Over £160,000 has been raised so far. Why not join in and donate something to help her defend the anti-democratic case pursued by the Spaniards?
    You are correct ,the EAW does not circumnavigate the legal process just the political one .My mistake, though I don't hold out much hope I have made a small donation .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 825 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    You are correct ,the EAW does not circumnavigate the legal process just the political one .My mistake, though I don't hold out much hope I have made a small donation .
    There's also the argument that the alleged crime has to be an offence in both countries. So someone wanted by Germany for "holocaust denial" could not be extradited from the UK, where that is not an offence.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    There's also the argument that the alleged crime has to be an offence in both countries. So someone wanted by Germany for "holocaust denial" could not be extradited from the UK, where that is not an offence.
    Yes that's right though the laws of different countries can be 'paired 'for a better word if it is shown they are similar . The charges against Ponsati ,those of fermenting rebellion would probably come under our treason laws . It is that connection that she will have to prove false if the warrant is not to be enforced

Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morayloon View Post
    The UK is at it as well.
    Help Clara Ponsati resist Spanish persecution This crowdfunder is raising funds to help meet her legal costs
    https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/defendclara/ What the Spanish are doing to the members of the Catalan Government is an affront to democracy!!!.
    Clara is faced with a lengthy prison sentence if the Spanish get their way!!!
    Give a small donation and show your support.
    STOP THE SPANISH IN THEIR TRACKS. NO MORE POLITICAL PRISONERS
    Point of order there Morayloon the U.K. Is not at it as well,as we've been told so many times on here Scotland has its own judicial system independent and entirely seperate from the rest of the U.K.

As far as the rest of your post I agree wholeheartedly and will be putting my hand in my pocket and making a donation toward her defence
    When the eagles are silent the parrots begin to jabber.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cromwell For This Useful Post:

Streetwalker (28-03-2018)

Thanks
    The Cataluña parliament have approved Puigdemont as being eligible to be president, sticking a middle finger up to the European arrest warrant and Rajoy.
    https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/03/28...67_934027.html
    That will put el gato entre las palomas.

Thanks
    My fear is that a newer more radical leadership will emerge and adopt the Provo tactic of the ballot box and the armalite.
    That would be devastating for the region and Europe as a whole.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by albertcornercrew View Post
    My fear is that a newer more radical leadership will emerge and adopt the Provo tactic of the ballot box and the armalite.
    That would be devastating for the region and Europe as a whole.
    Resisting and seceding are the only two rights a constitution would never allow (a democratic constitution, at least), but peoples should have the right to live with their own, in their independent nation. When a government oppresses an entire people, such people have the right to resist and fight. If democratic methods (such as referendums) are not allowed, then violence is justified by all means. An entire people locked in a cage is very similar to a cornered tiger - it has no other choice but attack you to win the way out. But Spain will never allow Catalans to exercise the right to self-determination, because it would trigger similar efforts in many other areas of Europe, including my Lombardy where secession from the rest of the country could only benefit us in the short and long term.
    «The Muslims refuse our culture and try to impose their culture on us. I reject them, and this is not only my duty toward my culture - it is toward my values, my principles, my civilization.» - Oriana Fallaci

Thanks
    A court in the northern German state of Schleswig Holstein has decided today to extradite former Catalan premier Carles Puigdemont to Spain. However, the court will do so only on the charges of misuse of public funds that the Spanish authorities have filed against him, and not for the crime of rebellion. This means that he can only be tried on the former charge once he is back in Spain.
    https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/07/12...78_724976.html
    It pays to flee the country when you are wanted!
    I wonder if Madrid might circumvent this when they have him back.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    A court in the northern German state of Schleswig Holstein has decided today to extradite former Catalan premier Carles Puigdemont to Spain. However, the court will do so only on the charges of misuse of public funds that the Spanish authorities have filed against him, and not for the crime of rebellion. This means that he can only be tried on the former charge once he is back in Spain.
    https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/07/12...78_724976.html
    It pays to flee the country when you are wanted!
    I wonder if Madrid might circumvent this when they have him back.
    This could prove interesting,I just hope they aren't railroaded.
    When the eagles are silent the parrots begin to jabber.