Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Responding to the new opportunities

Thanks
    @ Pat I'm about where I was 40 years ago.
    Swings and roundabouts, my fortune has been all snakes and ladders. Opportunity awaits, disasters too! I'm up for it. Let's roll the dice.
    With the economic situation as it is now, with what we've just put up with here over the last 20 years, I really couldn't imagine anyone making a worse job of it. It's just such an incredibly low bar, that I am not scared at all of equalling it.
    This place is ****ed mate. Seriously. SNAFU FUBAR land. You think it's going to get worse, yeah you are right. It is.
    But also
    it's going to get better. Let us show you how the smart money does things.

Brexit negotiations are easy, you just get drunk and have a laugh with them. At the end of a two year piss up, you say, "so long and thanks for every thing".
    Job done.

Preparation? Book a hotel room.

The purpose of this negotiation is two fold, for the EU it is to give us 2 years to reconsider.
    For Westminster it's theatre, to show us that our governments are in charge. That they are doing this, not us. To put themselves at the head of the event. (Even though we elected Farage, lol).
    An act of symbolism.Tthey will milk it for high drama.

But there isn't any drama. It's boring.

The idiots have been told to shove off and now the rest of us can make some money without further interruption.

Get rid of them, and this becomes the land of opportunity. Keep them and it rots.
    Major league losers, Pat. The EU is a losers convention. It's where failed people go. Didn't make the grade at home? Off to the EU my friend. Crony. Their qualification for that job is "being the bosses mate". And what they do there helps no one at all. Except themselves.

If you think I'll follow them anywhere you have another thing coming. I shut them out completely to protect myself.
    Time wasters all.

The idiot tribe. Gibbering. Telling me how rich they have made me. And me, I've had it better.
    The Golden Fleece they are offering you? It's your own. You don't need these people mate. They need you, but you don't need them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Baff For This Useful Post:

Streetwalker (10-08-2017)

Thanks
    We are a nation of reformers. Our democracy is swift. Fleet footed, things change here fast. within a generation cultural norms have been "progressed". This is both the strength and weakness of British Democracy.

Strength because we react faster as a united body of people. Adapt faster to world events or new paradigms.
    Mutate and survive. Predictability = death. And all that jive.

Weaker because it allows for a more authoritarian regime. Less trammelled by what the Americans call "checks and balances".
    We get dictatorial leaders, like Thatcher and Blair who wield a lot of power and can do more with it than we ask them to.

Now we went into the the EU as reformers. It sucked bad, but we could reform it, make it not suck bad. Make it better.
    And I like to think we have.
    But they are slow and we are fast. They can't keep up.

So this is a bright time in UK politics. All those things which for the last 20 years were unreformable, are now reformable.
    Expect big improvements to come.
    This will be a time of accelerated reform. Progress.

In the Great Recession, the reason why we got out of it 10 years before everyone else... is because we left the Gold Standard. We gave them the finger. First to quit, first to recover.
    2nd to quit, France, second to recover.
    Last to quit, America, last to recover.

They were slow to reform.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    I reckon the average person has seen their circumstances improve out of all recognition over the last 40 years. Most who have been prepared to adapt to the changing environment and get on with the job have done reasonably well, and some very well. Labour exacerbated the effects of the western financial meltdown here by refusing to put money aside in the good days and continuing to spend, spend, spend. The need to cut spending and reduce the deficit to pay off debt affected everyone and, I guess, led to dissatisfaction which was turned against the EU. I see we are now promised a well thought-out position for exiting, let us hope it is not more bluff and bluster from the apparently woefully underprepared Brexit team...
    Well I guess we are all a bit better off than 40 years ago but isn't that just the way society improves over time . Our parents were better off than theirs and theirs before them . In fact I read that ours (I actually just missed the baby boomer years) will be the first to be better off than their children so I guess someone is taking more out of the pot than they should be .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Streetwalker For This Useful Post:

Stevlin (10-08-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    Well I guess we are all a bit better off than 40 years ago but isn't that just the way society improves over time . Our parents were better off than theirs and theirs before them . In fact I read that ours (I actually just missed the baby boomer years) will be the first to be better off than their children so I guess someone is taking more out of the pot than they should be .
    I was not around 40 years ago, but my parents and close relatives and their friends were. Their remembrances of lodgings, bed sits, dire food, bad transport, rotten employment practices, etc, etc, etc, seem like make believe when I see what they have now. One common factor seems to be they took opportunities and worked hard enough not to depend on state support. I can remember the '80s being OK, but I was young. But what we can have now in opportunity and material choice is streets ahead of those times. So some people have had difficulties while some others have just cruised through life expecting others to pick up the tab, and there have been national ups and downs. But over the past 40 years there has been a substantial increase in material wealth and health. I am not saying all this could not have happened if the UK was outside the EEC/EU, but I reckon it has been easier...
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time meanwhile, still waiting for the whip hand that Enoch forecast...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    I was not around 40 years ago, but my parents and close relatives and their friends were. Their remembrances of lodgings, bed sits, dire food, bad transport, rotten employment practices, etc, etc, etc, seem like make believe when I see what they have now. One common factor seems to be they took opportunities and worked hard enough not to depend on state support. I can remember the '80s being OK, but I was young. But what we can have now in opportunity and material choice is streets ahead of those times. So some people have had difficulties while some others have just cruised through life expecting others to pick up the tab, and there have been national ups and downs. But over the past 40 years there has been a substantial increase in material wealth and health. I am not saying all this could not have happened if the UK was outside the EEC/EU, but I reckon it has been easier...
    Many of the earlier inhabitants of Guyana arrived with in chains. Slaves were a valuble commodity so they were probably feed and clothed better than a lot of the free population and that of their compatriots back in Africa.

But they were still slaves.

And that is what Brexit is all about. I dare say that the terms and conditions are better abroad, but I voted to have the UK run from the UK, not Brussels.

Thanks
    I'd like to quote the internet if I may.
    I haven't sourced this or checked the statistics, I just liked it.

The primary purpose of joining the common market was to increase trade, but since joining our trade to the EU has repeatedly fallen. At the same time, of the 10 countries who have grown trade the most to the EU, six don't even have a trade agreement. So, we have paid now hundreds of billions for a mythical benefit.

Thanks
    Run that by me again - I mean the original title of the thread - "Responding to the new opportunities". What are the new opportunities? Taking back control certainly hasn't worked very well, has it? And the pound is on the way down again. Every day we hear pleas for new 'lifelines' to be thrown from Brussels, and some of the suggestions are coming from Tories who campaigned for Brexit. What comes after pear-shaped, I wonder?
    I dahn do non-judgement'aw. ... and put ya blinkin' shirt on mate, wiwya!

Thanks
    The problem at present is as much stubbornness as fear.

There are those in Westminster who simply cannot bring themselves to support the democratic decision probably for several reasons, but the biggest are that they hate to lose and they haven't a clue how the country will be run without the EU. We have over the past 40 odd years embedded ourselves so tightly that many cannot countenance separation as if the EU was our main artery. The UK is the baby, the EU the womb and Brussels the placenta!

These people are no longer serving our country, they are simply taking their salary, making a lot of ineffective noise and with their cacophony hoping to waylay the inevitable. The Government is sadly in a place where they are trying to please everyone. It can't be!

We have businesses already looking worldwide finally anticipating being unshackled by EU protectionism and backward thinking. If we look at EU legislation over the past decades it has erred on the side of restriction more than innovation. Why? To protect those largest companies that have the EU ear.

We have worldwide problems, we need worldwide solutions but the EU is like a huge container ship with a broken rudder. It is too long winded and slow to turn, even if it was prepared to turn, which most of the time it isn't. It has too many layers of 'management' spending to much of the money pot that could be used to improve those countries struggling under EU restraints. That same management has made itself very comfortable by securing nice little jobs for the boys, with the power to usurp any upstarts who would question them. These are people with power for power's sake.

They have had their chances to update, they have been warned many times. Macron now think he will manage it but he will be buried like Cameron. Poland is restless but again the EU will spend more time and energy on squashing Poland than sorting out poison eggs.

To move effectively in this fast moving world ocean we need to be lean and sleek. We need innovators with the freedom to break moulds and think outside EU boxes. It is my hope that somewhere in this country we will find the people who have it in them to see the country as a place of possibilities, who won't listen to those who have no vision, no innovative thought and no ambition other than to obey Brussel's edicts.
    By their deeds will you know them! xx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to T00ts For This Useful Post:

Barry (16-08-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperduck Quack Quack View Post
    Run that by me again - I mean the original title of the thread - "Responding to the new opportunities". What are the new opportunities? Taking back control certainly hasn't worked very well, has it? And the pound is on the way down again. Every day we hear pleas for new 'lifelines' to be thrown from Brussels, and some of the suggestions are coming from Tories who campaigned for Brexit. What comes after pear-shaped, I wonder?
    We haven't left yet.

The new opportunities will include our own free trade agreements, fair treatment of our fishermen, the chance for the fair treatment of all immigrants via an Australian Points style system.

The only people legislating over us will be people who (unlike the EU Commission) are elected and accountable.
    17,410,742 British people including Scots said LEAVE!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperduck Quack Quack View Post
    Run that by me again - I mean the original title of the thread - "Responding to the new opportunities". What are the new opportunities?
    Asfar as I can see, the Brexiters will see British laws made in Britain and you will be free to go and live with Raymond in Paris.