Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Election intimidation at 'tipping point', warns watchdog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    The real problem is persuading those you were talking to a minute ago you're the same person, under another name
    Under ideal circumstances, but in reality, how often does anyone take any notice of anyone else on the internet?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RaymondDelauney View Post
    On another forum, a member was banned after a period of increasingly disruptive behaviour. A very short time later, one who was clearly the same person - same manner, same tactics, same spelling mistakes, for heaven's sake... reappeared. A number of us complained to the Mods, and were assured that this was, indeed, a totally different user...

It was only when the forum finally collapsed under the weight of poisonous infighting and potentially libellous statements that one of the Mods finally 'fessed up - yes, they had let him back. Terrible behaviour: It's little wonder the forum couldn't continue...

(In it's final hours, one user downloaded as much of the forum - going back years - as he could and made it searchable. Some of it's quite jaw-dropping. I wish he'd make it publically available, because it's almost the perfect example of how not to run a forum...)
    Wow, I bet that keeps you up at night, even after so many years. Lefties tend to rely on getting people banned and then making things up to justify their need to control everything, until they're left with nothing else except an echo chamber. Banning free-speech and everything which doesn't strictly conform to their agenda for all humanity is seen as the only way the utopian ideology will come about. Some might say the Left are the new puritans filled with self-righteousness and virtue signalling. It must be exhausting trying to control all opinion on social media.
    We are the BBC. Lower your shields and surrender your mind. We will add your income and some Islamist distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebirth For This Useful Post:

Baff (17-07-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    Under ideal circumstances, but in reality, how often does anyone take any notice of anyone else on the internet?
    I usually listen to the guy who is being attacked by Momentum trolls. Just mention the IRA and Corbyn in the same sentence a few times.
    We are the BBC. Lower your shields and surrender your mind. We will add your income and some Islamist distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

Thanks
    Up until recently the whole PC narrative seemed to control everything. In a way it still does, in so much as everyone still appears to be sh*t scared of treading on certain people's toes.

You upset a person who is considered to be a part of an "ethnic minority" group, then you are RACIST.

Upset a gay man or lesbian woman, you are HOMOPHOBIC.

Those are the main two "no no's," but there are a great many self interest groups, who it is not considered politically correct, should you hurt there fragile feelings.

I mean who had ever heard of "Islamaphobia" 25 years ago?

Things are different when you are talking to someone you know you can trust 100%, and might I suggest that such people are rare.

Even if you are a part of a movement, you cannot be certain that your comrades wouldn't rat on you behind your back.

Voting is a different matter, we all know that all our votes are counted equally, and that nobody knows who you voted for if you don't tell them.

So you get a backlash, then you get a backlash to the backlash. That is why there was so much surprise when the EU referendum was a triumph for leave. Some people who supported it, only did so in private. Why? Because liberal lefties were spreading rumours, that voting leave was somehow racist. They didn't believe it, but still kept their voting intentions quiet. It was surely the same in the US, with so many good folk voting Donald Trump.

I think BREXIT activated a lot of lefties and liberals, who would have not usually bothered, and that was the backlash to the backlash. It almost worked too, but that was just as much down to Theresa May's suicidal election campaign.

I think the left have peaked now though. Corbyns spin machine has gone through its full cycle, and all that will be left is dampness.

Finally the entire dogma of political correctness has been rejected.

The tide has turned, and those who tried to stop it, like King Canute, have failed.

We still have a long way to go however. Because if we don't get over this PC business fully, and soon, Great Britain will lose its identity forever...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebirth View Post
    Wow, I bet that keeps you up at night, even after so many years. Lefties tend to rely on getting people banned and then making things up to justify their need to control everything, until they're left with nothing else except an echo chamber. Banning free-speech and everything which doesn't strictly conform to their agenda for all humanity is seen as the only way the utopian ideology will come about. Some might say the Left are the new puritans filled with self-righteousness and virtue signalling. It must be exhausting trying to control all opinion on social media.
    It's lefty bubble world.
    In our social lives we gravitate towards like minded people. After a while those outside of that bubble seem unusual. The bubble becomes their norm. The benchmark by which those outside of that bubble are pre judged also.

I must speak in a PC manner or not be able to openly discuss the political issues I most care about it.
    But here is the rub, my political enemies have deemed opposition politics non PC. They simply won't allow those issues to be spoken of at all.

It's a Catch 22.
    Can't discuss the issues, so have no voice.

Quiet majority. Made quiet by lefty law.

It's like North Korea. An unknown quantity. No one knows how they will vote. Polls can't reflect it. Because no one is allowed to discuss it. It's a wild card.
    A social unknown.

We must live beyond the power of others to control. It is an arms race. Freedom of communication is not a human right, it's an arms race.

Thanks
    It's so easy to form opinions on people in the public eye and I include myself in this. Should we? No. Certainly not based on looks, and not even on just human faults, like making a mistake, having a point of view in opposition to our own or having an off day for whatever reason. In some ways current obsession with putting folk on a pedestal simply to have the 'fun' of dragging them down has become unhealthy and actually rather barbaric. We are supposed to be a civilised society but somehow all the net has done is bring out the baser instincts of far too many.

If I had a wish it would be for everyone to pull their horns in. To start treating others as they would wish to be treated. I'd like the return of respect for others. If life continues as it is, and I'm rather afraid it is going to get worse rather than better, then life will be very uncomfortable for all of us.

I think I'll start.
    By their deeds will you know them! xx

8. The Following User Says Thank You to T00ts For This Useful Post:

cromwell (17-07-2017)

Thanks
    Mao had a tactic for this.

He put random people in office for 2 years at a time. Before they could clique up, they were gone.

In our society the basic fundamental tenets that underpins all of our political system is this.

All men are equal.

So if we put you on a political pedestal, we must also take you off it. You must be equal too.
    If you stand up to rule over others, you must be knocked down.

Democracy is about maintaining the balance of power.
    The status quo.

Not allowing one side to gain dominance over the other.

Every time you gain enough electoral power to affect other people, you've missed the point. Democracy is used to protect us from you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Baff View Post
    Mao had a tactic for this.

He put random people in office for 2 years at a time. Before they could clique up, they were gone.

In our society the basic fundamental tenets that underpins all of our political system is this.

All men are equal.

So if we put you on a political pedestal, we must also take you off it. You must be equal too.
    If you stand up to rule over others, you must be knocked down.

Democracy is about maintaining the balance of power.
    The status quo.

Not allowing one side to gain dominance over the other.

Every time you gain enough electoral power to affect other people, you've missed the point. Democracy is used to protect us from you.
    No surely that's Utopian communism?
    By their deeds will you know them! xx

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    [............] but in reality, how often does anyone take any notice of anyone else on the internet?
    Good point. And hopefully true. Take for instance opinions of the BBC. Here it's largely reckoned to be Left Wing or at least staffed and operated in order to promote the ideas of Left-leaning LGBT-supporting luvvies. Go to another forum, say one with 75 in its name, and the BBC will be totally dismissed as a totally Right Wing Goebbels-style organisation out to crush the poor and working classes.

I'd hate to be in public life. Even comedians get threatened with harm. And principled activists and politicians even more so.

Being private, I seldom get upset or angry at posts though I must admit to occasionally trying to bait those self appointed defenders of Empire and White supremacy who occasionally manage to post something understandable on here. But I don't think I've actually wished anyone harm (in print, anyway)...
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time meanwhile, still waiting for the whip hand that Enoch forecast...

Thanks
    No, it's pretty much all social ideologies.

Equality in the eyes of the law and such like.

In liberalism the rights of the individual are all equal, in democracy the rights of minorities are equal and so on.
    Equality is a social theme common to all societies. Right at the root of them.
    Even in the caste system, the transcendental wheel means I'll get my turn at being king.

We have second chambers. This is to limit the power of first chambers.
    We have a parliament to limit the power of a Queen.
    We have electoral periods of 5 years to limit the power of politician. A
    We have constituency boundaries to limit the power of a localised faction. And so on.

The goal of democracy is not to enable political power. It is to limit it.

Trump, can't do much. The senate will block this that and the other, the house the rest, the courts some more...
    He'll undo Obama Care so Obama will have done nothing either. And so on.

Not in a utopian commune. But here. In this rather un utopian commune.