Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Great Turkey Hoax of 2016. How likely is Turkey to join the EU ??

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The Great Turkey Hoax of 2016. How likely is Turkey to join the EU ??

One of the most outrageous scare stories during the EU referendum campaign was that Turkey was being fast-tracked into the EU and that 12 million Turks were waiting to move to Britain as soon a free movement agreement was reached.

Turkey was never even close to joining the EU, not least because it occupies part of another EU country, Cyprus! Now there's been a coup in Turkey and it's even further from joining the EU than it was before. Turkey joining the EU is not even on the radar.

And yet stories like this were generated by the 'leave' campaigners:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...n-from-turkey/
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/661...sa-free-travel
    https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/eu_refe...come-to-the-UK
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...re-Turkey.html
    http://newsthump.com/2016/05/22/12m-...osepipe-offer/
    . . . and there's more! This article actually suggested that scaremongering about mass immigration from Turkey could swing the referendum in favour of Brexit.
    https://www.dailysabah.com/op-ed/201...he-brexit-vote

It's quite likely that this blatant misinformation influenced some people to vote 'leave'. Given the tiny majority in favour of 'leave' on the day, it's possible that the the Great Turkey Hoax swung the referendum result. That in itself is a good reason for leaving the door open for another referendum at a later date, but of course there are lots of other reasons.
    29,089,259 people did not say LEAVE

Thanks
    Thanked 1,744 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Even your beloved Guardian reported this:
    "In return for taking back refugees, Turkey can expect “re-energised” talks on its EU membership, with the promise of negotiations on one policy area to be opened before July." (18th March 2016)
    Perhaps they had their fingers crossed for a coup and were ignoring the Cyprus issue.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    So it's possible the Great Turkey Hoax perpetrated by Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson (who is part Turkish himself) could have influenced public opinion enough to swing the referendum vote in favour of Brexit. Given the closeness of the result, that is certainly good enough reason to test public opinion again during the Brexit process and arguably it provides grounds for annulling the referendum result completely. I leave that for someone else to argue!

The remain side was continually accused of scaremongering but all those 'scare stories' about the dire consequences of leaving the EU look like they might come true.

I don't read the Guardian! I read newspapers on an article-by-article basis on the internet - one from the Telegraph here, one from the Times there, maybe another from the Guardian.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,744 Times in 1,250 Posts
    At least 2 sources in your OP are an absolute joke.
    Mumsnet for goodness sake.
    Newsthump - a fake news site.
    HQQ, you are a part of the group who are doing their best to undermine the will of the British people to leave the EU. It is only in your mind that the country has changed its mind. We are leaving the abusive Ponzi scheme and we are going to act like a big grown up country that doesn't need moddly-coddling by co-dependent imposed "parents".

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    At least 2 sources in your OP are an absolute joke.
    Mumsnet for goodness sake.
    Newsthump - a fake news site.
    HQQ, you are a part of the group who are doing their best to undermine the will of the British people to leave the EU. It is only in your mind that the country has changed its mind. We are leaving the abusive Ponzi scheme and we are going to act like a big grown up country that doesn't need moddly-coddling by co-dependent imposed "parents".
    You're the one who's just said 'fake news' - very apt as the whole mass immigration from Turkey was fake news made up by leave campaigners.

I am not trying to undermine the will of the British people I'm trying to undermine the arguments that were used to con the British people to vote to leave the EU (by a very narrow margin) and then to give the people another chance to express their will when they know the truth about Brexit.
    When people wake up to the fact that they will be worse off after Brexit and when they see their friends going up the career ladder because they've been able to retain their EU citizenship by virtue of having an Irish grandparent or whatever, they'll change their minds.

Mumsnet is a forum for people expressing views, and others read them and discuss them, just like this forum.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperduck Quack Quack View Post
    You're the one who's just said 'fake news' - very apt as the whole mass immigration from Turkey was fake news made up by leave campaigners.

I am not trying to undermine the will of the British people I'm trying to undermine the arguments that were used to con the British people to vote to leave the EU (by a very narrow margin) and then to give the people another chance to express their will when they know the truth about Brexit.

Mumsnet is a forum for people expressing views, and others read them and discuss them, just like this forum.
    I wasn't conned then and I certainly won't be conned now.
    My vote counts just as much as your's xx

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T00ts View Post
    I wasn't conned then and I certainly won't be conned now.
    I'm not saying you were. Diehard anti-Europeanists don't need reasons. 'Reasons' are needed to persuade others.
    I don't need reasons for why I think Britain should remain in the EU, I need resaons to persuade others that is the right thing for our nation.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,236 Times in 1,702 Posts
    The greatest hoax you omitted to mention Quackers is the EU itself,from its treaties designed to undermine democracy itself the old three card trick beloved of street con artists designed to fool the gullible they are actually going to win,ask yourself Quackers are the Greeks,Spaniards and other Southern Europe eu countries winners?
    Why you think we cannot survive this failing enterprise which compared to our long history is a blink of the eye is beyond me,I and many others don't want eu citizenship,a parliament dressed up to give some credence that it is in some way democratic whilst those on the gravy train like junker too often a bunch of apparatchiks who wouldn't have looked out of place in the politburo of the old soviet union are paid far in excess of their worth whilst all dance to the strings pulled by Merkel.
    The new parliamentary democracy,it's not the will of the people that counts but the will of 650......will come back to haunt them.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cromwell For This Useful Post:

Barry (15-07-2017), johnofgwent (16-07-2017), T00ts (15-07-2017)

Thanks
    I'm not saying you were. Diehard anti-Europeanists don't need reasons. 'Reasons' are needed to persuade others.
    I don't need reasons for why I think Britain should remain in the EU, I need resaons to persuade others that is the right thing for our nation.
    You undoubtedly DO require credible 'reasons' for making a case to illustrate WHY, and HOW the UK would be better off in staying in the EU, because the standard 'tariff free trade' argument just doesn't stack up. Those relatively few businesses that deal with the EU are certainly 'better off' through having the taxpayer fund their free access to the tariff free Single Market, and being presented with a large labour pool availability to boot........but would they be so keen if THEY had to foot the bill themselves??
    Only someone devoid of 'reason' would believe that it was unnecessary to make the case for the British tax payer to continue to provide this benefit to these businesses despite the down side of lack of sovereignty, border control etc.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stevlin For This Useful Post:

Baff (18-07-2017)

Thanks
    What you need is for BREXIT to be completed, so you can find something else to moan about.