Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: We are living beyond our means

Thanks
    Personally Iím not convinced by the explanations for the debt we have.

Yes, we have a hugely growing population. But in itself, that should mean there is more money, because people usually pay tax. As for benefits claimants, are they increasing all that much?

Then thereís all the money wasting, which is obscene.

Then thereís foreign aid, which under normal circumstances might be fine, but if we have massive debt and a housing crisis and not enough schools and rising homelesness, then itís not fine at all.

Then thereís the EU, which speaks for itself.

Then there are foreign wars, like Iraq.

As far as Iím concerned, our debt has been manufactured, possibly to justify cuts, or at least in spite of cuts. So no, on average, we are not living beyond our means (as a nation), but the ruling elite want us to think we are. Austerity isnít the solution.

As for printing money, thatís just another way to make people poorer, because it devalues all the money that already exists.
    those princes have accomplished most who paid little heed to keeping their promises, but who knew how to manipulate the minds of men craftily.

Machiavelli, The Prince

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RaymondDelauney View Post
    Exactly the same things are said whenever there's talk of raising the Minimum Wage, or when there are moves to make worker's lives better in terms of things like maternity rights. Funny thing is, firms still exist.

(Off to Birmingham to vote in Round Two of L'Election Francaise...)
    Big firms don't.

They grow until they are one man under the regulation size and then they stop.

Jobs I used to get that paid double, night shift work for example, now pays minimum wage. And 30 years ago before minimum wage, I was better off. My rent has quadrupled. Same for the price of beer.
    I used to go out 6 days a week. Now I can afford one every 3 months.

You talk about cuts, and still needing to make more cuts. After all these cuts. But I don't see you making any cuts at all. I see man truly blessed by the cream fairy. Living in a world full of mountains of cake.

No one is volunteering to pay more for this. No one is volunteering to get paid less for this.
    Impasse.
    The game is over. To get more money from me now they need to use violence. That is where we are currently at.

It just goes Greece mate. People stop paying tax. They give their taxable assets away to people they love more. They stop working. They run a black economy. They avoid and withhold taxes. And things that are already breaking down, break down faster and faster until Greece.
    And then instead giving up their jobs neatly, they just take everyone else's jobs with them first... then lose their jobs messily anyway.

Not going down on that good ship. Nuh-uh. No further reason to co-operate with this. You are on your own with it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scott777 View Post
    Revolution does not require physical conflict at all. A modern revolution could begin with education and information, networks of people who understand how government controls and manipulates and how to resist.

@Scott, in the end they will have to send a man round to my door to collect money from me. And it makes no difference what the media says at that point. It's revolution time.

But it's only my personal little revolution and that changes ****. When it kicks off is when they have to personally come and collect from a lot of people all at the same time. And then they are out numbered.

Revolution requires the threat of physical conflict. Why? Because the stakes are so high. If you aren't willing to die for it yourself, you lose. Because someone else always is.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by callmecato View Post
    When in debt it's always best to start by scrapping mindless indulgences. We should start by reversing Brexit which is going to damage the economy regardless of the deal we get. Notice how the Government's plan to cut the defecit has suddenly been kicked into the long grass. We're having to borrow beyond our means in order to bribe companies to remain Post-Brexit and it may not even be enough. Companies are already relocating despite the promise of lower corporation tax.

Hammond was talking to Andrew Marr about ending austerity
    One can almost see a Budget coming which will be a mirror of Labour's proposals, so derided by the right
    A Hand Up Not A Hand Out
    Terms and Conditions Apply

Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Mod Notice

moved a whole lot of off topic posts to brexit referendum thread.
    This is about living beyond our means
    Thanks
    A lie gets halfway round the world before the truth can get its trousers on.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cromwell For This Useful Post:

Barry (20-06-2017)

Thanks
    The UK national debt is growing at more than £5,000 per second, and is heading for a total of £1.9 trillion. Given that it is largely due to political leaders too lazy or too incompetent (or too scared of the electorate) to make "grown-up" forward thinking decisions, it came as no surprise that this issue got scant attention during the recent election campaigns.

The estimated debt interest bill for 2016/17 is £48 billion. Great news for our super-rich creditors & bankers !! It is a national disgrace that this £48 billion is not being spent on things like the NHS, social housing and reduction in the burden on taxpayers.
    If only we saw Momentum as a threat greater than our apathy, we could defeat it

Thanks
    The Tory's couldn't stand on this issue because of their record and their two previously failed manifesto commitments.

I think ultimately it's a busted flush. We ride it until it collapses.
    I think people are best advised to take whatever they can grab while it is still on offer. And to make alternate preparations for health care and retirement. To hedge their funds against Greece style governmental defaults.

I don't think there is the will to fix this and because of that I don't see any self interest for the young to contribute.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emissary~johor View Post
    The UK national debt is growing at more than £5,000 per second, and is heading for a total of £1.9 trillion. Given that it is largely due to political leaders too lazy or too incompetent (or too scared of the electorate) to make "grown-up" forward thinking decisions, it came as no surprise that this issue got scant attention during the recent election campaigns.

The estimated debt interest bill for 2016/17 is £48 billion. Great news for our super-rich creditors & bankers !! It is a national disgrace that this £48 billion is not being spent on things like the NHS, social housing and reduction in the burden on taxpayers.
    Maybe because the world is run by a globalist criminal cartel.Well no maybe about it actually.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emissary~johor View Post
    It is a national disgrace that this £48 billion is not being spent on things like the NHS, social housing and reduction in the burden on taxpayers.
    It is being spent on the NHS, social housing and the like. If it wasn't it would increase the burden on taxpayers because they would have to pay upfront for the aforementioned services, as opposed to raising a loan at favourable rates.

I have just spoken to my lad about this. I told him that although the bulk of NHS spending went on the old and smelly and that the burden was being past onto him and future generations, I was sure that he accepted this as a mere bagatelle compared to seeing his dear old father spending his declining years in a level of ease that I probably don't deserve, but damn well enjoy.

The lad took me by the hand and, with tears in his eyes, told me that he hoped that I would live for many more weeks.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Borchester For This Useful Post:

Baff (23-06-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    It is being spent on the NHS, social housing and the like. If it wasn't it would increase the burden on taxpayers because they would have to pay upfront for the aforementioned services, as opposed to raising a loan at favourable rates.

I have just spoken to my lad about this. I told him that although the bulk of NHS spending went on the old and smelly and that the burden was being past onto him and future generations, I was sure that he accepted this as a mere bagatelle compared to seeing his dear old father spending his declining years in a level of ease that I probably don't deserve, but damn well enjoy.

The lad took me by the hand and, with tears in his eyes, told me that he hoped that I would live for many more weeks.

Less of the "old and smelly" please
    A Hand Up Not A Hand Out
    Terms and Conditions Apply