Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Tom Watson attacks Momentum-Unite Labour 'plot'

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    1,693
    Thanks
    626
    Thanked 640 Times in 443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanLuc View Post
    Ed presented some very electable policies, we used to judge politicians on their policies - not their personalities. Who cares if someone took a sneaky pic of him eating a bacon sandwich, what an odd way to judge a politician
    He lost the 2015 election because of the interference of Sturgeon, the most hated politician south of the border. I canvassed for ED and was told time and time again that voters would not tolerate the thought of that "Scottish woman" influencing Westminster politics
    Well he obviously didn't or he would have been elected! That you canvassed for him explains youy most peculiar view of the political spectrum.

    No, you are wrong; of course political policy comes into it but so does integrity, gravitas, trust, loyalty to name but a few essential personality traits, Ed Miliband lacked them all! The picture of his botched eating of a bacon butty was a perfect pictorial example that he was trying to be something he wasn't.

    Equally even if Labour had won all 56 of the SNP's seats they would still have trailed the Tories by 43 seats so that argument doesn't hold too much water either. In simple terms Labour lost because the majority of the electorate didn't trust Labour economically nor Miliband as a leader and they were right on both counts.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    162
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 54 Times in 37 Posts
    The reasonable assumption that Labour is becoming increasingly irrelevant as an opposition - and virtually unelectable, is compounded by this amalgamation of Momentum and Unite. Some will see this as a good thing, and in one sense it is, for socialism never really works for long. But any democracy needs a functioning opposition, if only to keep them on their toes, and any opposition riven by factional in-fighting and with a leader that does not command the respect of the majority of his MPs is NOT a functioning opposition. So instead of a valid opposition, we now have a complete polarisation; a hard left swing that will be difficult for the more moderate Labour supporters to counter, thanks to Ed Milliband's well meant but fundamentally flawed change to the rules governing selection of a leader.

    What will be the effect? Probably more militancy, and a noticeable increase in the number and duration of industrial actions and street protests. Things are about to get ugly.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cadmus For This Useful Post:

    Major Sinic (20-03-2017)

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    London N16
    Posts
    3,574
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 373 Times in 311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevectaylor View Post
    The BBC reports Deputy Labour leader says Unite affiliating with Momentum could "destroy" the party.


    More...
    Will we see Tom Watson try to re-ignite Labour's old fire at Conference, as in days past?

    "We may lose the vote today, and the result may deal this party a grave blow. It may not be possible to prevent it, but there are some of us, I think many of us, who will not accept that this blow need be mortal: who will not believe that such an end is inevitable. There are some of us who will fight, and fight, and fight again, to save the party we love. We will fight, and fight, and fight again, to bring back sanity and honesty and dignity, so that our party with its great past may retain its glory and its greatness."
    Gaitskell, in 1960

    That was over unilateral disarmament. But the current fight looks like it could turn out no less nuclear...
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time meanwhile, still waiting for the whip hand that Enoch forecast...

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Darn Sarf
    Posts
    1,864
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 161 Times in 132 Posts
    After the political suicide of Labour I have been waiting to see what sort of funeral will take place. This is starting to look like a cremation, which is great. Had they gone for burial then it could have the potential to be dug up.

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    London N16
    Posts
    3,574
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 373 Times in 311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TWNUK View Post
    After the political suicide of Labour I have been waiting to see what sort of funeral will take place. This is starting to look like a cremation, which is great. Had they gone for burial then it could have the potential to be dug up.
    Labour could turn into a political Phoenix. There needs to be some sort of opposition, and there's nothing else out there, unless the wee Krankie marches South...
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time meanwhile, still waiting for the whip hand that Enoch forecast...

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    West Country
    Posts
    1,769
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 90 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Sinic View Post
    Well he obviously didn't or he would have been elected! That you canvassed for him explains youy most peculiar view of the political spectrum.

    No, you are wrong; of course political policy comes into it but so does integrity, gravitas, trust, loyalty to name but a few essential personality traits, Ed Miliband lacked them all! The picture of his botched eating of a bacon butty was a perfect pictorial example that he was trying to be something he wasn't.

    Equally even if Labour had won all 56 of the SNP's seats they would still have trailed the Tories by 43 seats so that argument doesn't hold too much water either. In simple terms Labour lost because the majority of the electorate didn't trust Labour economically nor Miliband as a leader and they were right on both counts.

    Your continual reference to Ed's bacon butty reveals your true agenda

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    London N16
    Posts
    3,574
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 373 Times in 311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanLuc View Post
    Your continual reference to Ed's bacon butty reveals your true agenda
    Apologies for interrupting, but the photo of Ed Miliband struggling with a bacon butty, and the stabbing of his brother in the back are the the two abiding memories of his Labour leadership. Anything else has to be dredged up and given an explanation of why it's worth considering...
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time meanwhile, still waiting for the whip hand that Enoch forecast...

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    1,693
    Thanks
    626
    Thanked 640 Times in 443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanLuc View Post
    Your continual reference to Ed's bacon butty reveals your true agenda
    My true agenda is revealed throughout. I make no secret of it.

    I mention the bacon butty saga twice ( continual reference? Hardly!) in order to explain to you why it was so instrumental in Miliband's failure as a leader who could lead his party to electoral victory. It was a significant event which contributed immeasurably to Labour's defeat. I only mention it a third time because unfortunately you don't seem to grasp it's significance. When someone makes themselves a laughing stock they lose respect, trust and the confidence of those who want to believe in them. This is exactly what Miliband did. Instead of being himself he tried to project what he thought was the image of the 'common man', failed and showed both his hypocrisy as well as making himself an object of ridicule. As Patman Post points out it is an abiding image of his campaign along with the extremely distasteful treachery to his brother.

    A parallel was Neil Kinnock falling in the sea in his suit back in 1983. Tipped to win and leading the polls his over confidence made him disliked and his tumble flat on his arse in the sea made him an object of ridicule. The two together cost him the election.

    Neither had the credentials and qualities to lead the opposition let alone be PM, any more than Corbyn has.

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    West Country
    Posts
    1,769
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 90 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Sinic View Post
    My true agenda is revealed throughout. I make no secret of it.

    I mention the bacon butty saga twice ( continual reference? Hardly!) in order to explain to you why it was so instrumental in Miliband's failure as a leader who could lead his party to electoral victory. It was a significant event which contributed immeasurably to Labour's defeat. I only mention it a third time because unfortunately you don't seem to grasp it's significance. When someone makes themselves a laughing stock they lose respect, trust and the confidence of those who want to believe in them. This is exactly what Miliband did. Instead of being himself he tried to project what he thought was the image of the 'common man', failed and showed both his hypocrisy as well as making himself an object of ridicule. As Patman Post points out it is an abiding image of his campaign along with the extremely distasteful treachery to his brother.

    A parallel was Neil Kinnock falling in the sea in his suit back in 1983. Tipped to win and leading the polls his over confidence made him disliked and his tumble flat on his arse in the sea made him an object of ridicule. The two together cost him the election.

    Neither had the credentials and qualities to lead the opposition let alone be PM, any more than Corbyn has.

    Your post shows your ignorance of political life, yet you accused me of having "most peculiar view of the political spectrum." I have been a student of politics for a great many years, starting with Atlee
    However, that is by the by. As I have already said your post and others reveal your agenda probably more than you realise
    As such I shall treat them in future as they deserve

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    1,693
    Thanks
    626
    Thanked 640 Times in 443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanLuc View Post
    Your post shows your ignorance of political life, yet you accused me of having "most peculiar view of the political spectrum." I have been a student of politics for a great many years, starting with Atlee
    However, that is by the by. As I have already said your post and others reveal your agenda probably more than you realise
    As such I shall treat them in future as they deserve
    It is very easy when you have no answers to offer and display precious little understanding of politics to provide a sweeping dismissal of those who do. You flirt like a tart about my supposed agenda but won't say what you actually think it is, or more to the point why you disagree with it. Debate is all about providing alternative views with the reasoning and /or evidence behind them, something you don't seem to be able to do. If, as you claim, you have been a student of politics for many years I am sorry to burst your bubble but you have learnt precious little from your study.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-10-2016, 12:50 AM
  2. 60,000 new supporters join the Labour party in the wake of a plot to remove
    By Borchester in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-07-2016, 01:45 PM
  3. Momentum 'to curb non-Labour groups'
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-12-2015, 03:55 PM
  4. Miliband attacks Unite's comments
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-04-2013, 03:10 PM
  5. Labour MP loses the plot
    By morayloon in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-08-2012, 11:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •