Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony Blair: "Time to rise up against Brexit"

Thanks

Tony Blair: "Time to rise up against Brexit"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news

Tony Blair is making it his mission to change public opinion in favour of staying in the EU. While I have issues with Tony Blair and his New Labour experiment, I'm with him on this. After all, the top Brexit campaigners all have controversial back stories too. In this new age of populism, having 'baggage' from the past seems no hindrance to high office, including the White House.

If Blair can change public opinion and there's a general feeling in the country over the next couple of years that the people no longer support Brexit, then there would definitely be grounds for holding another referendum. What would be unforgivable would be for Britain to leave the EU against the will of the people at the time, purely on the basis of a small majority vote in an advisory referendum 3 years previously where the Brexiters' campaign was based on lies and ridicule of the remain side.

What is really needed is for Sir John Major to come forward and lend his support. Two former prime ministers from opposing sides speaking together in favour of staying in the EU would be a powerful force. Whether making that platform big enough for four former prime ministers, including Brown and Cameron, would be a good idea, I'm not so sure. Brown is associated with political panic and chaotic government and Cameron is associated with that huge political misjudgement that led to this Brexit mess in the first place - the referendum.
    I dahn do non-judgement'aw. ... and put ya blinkin' shirt on mate, wiwya!

Thanks
    I guess the question has to be - just what has the EU promised Blair should he be successful?
    You've only failed when you've stopped! xx

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T00ts For This Useful Post:

Borchester (17-02-2017), Uncle (17-02-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T00ts View Post
    I guess the question has to be - just what has the EU promised Blair should he be successful?
    Sadly, the EU establishment isn't exactly bending over backwards to keep us in. So I doubt if they've promised Blair anything. If anyone's promised him anything, I imagine that some group representing British pro-EU businesses would be most likely.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Well I will grant you one thing Quackers,Cameron did make a huge political misjudgement,he didn't bank on losing.

I ain't going in to your criticism of two former prime ministers but any of their shortcomings pale in to insignificance compared to Blair who is hated by a not tiny section of the electorate.
    l might be off my rocker but am still a mod.

Thanks

Tony Blair calls for people to 'rise up' against Brexit

"Tony Blair is announcing his "mission" to persuade Britons to "rise up" and change their minds on Brexit.Speaking in the City of London, the former PM claims in a speech that people voted in the referendum "without knowledge of the true terms of Brexit".
    He says he wants to "build support for finding a way out from the present rush over the cliff's edge".
    But former Cabinet minister Iain Duncan Smith said Mr Blair's comments were arrogant and utterly undemocratic."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38996179

About time a statesman of stature took on the lemmings rushing us to the catastrophe of an EU exit
    Notable because today there is concern that the Peugeot takeover of Vauxhall/Opel will result in job losses in the UK. Of course there will be job losses. France and Germany are rushing to protect their interests and that will not include "Little EnglandŁ outside the EU

Thanks
    Peugeot has got 'previous' when it comes to Britain. They took over Talbot (what was Chrysler UK) and built Peugeots at Ryton in the West Midlands for 15 years or so until they closed the factory down in 2006. For several decades Vauxhall cars have been no more than badge-engineered Opels so it would be easy for a new owner to concentrate all production in mainland Europe and sell off the British factory sites to developers if they see fit. Presumably GM could have done that too, but since they seem to want to sell Vauxhall-Opel in its entirety, maybe they've left that decision to others. Also it's my guess that even if they sell Vauxhall-Opel, GM will be back in Europe, including Britain, but selling Chevrolet Bolt electric cars made in Detroit.

Thanks
    If Blair is hoping that his popularity will tempt all the Brexiters to volte face he's two hopes, Bob Hope and no hope.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If Blair is hoping that his popularity will tempt all the Brexiters to volte face he's two hopes, Bob Hope and no hope.
    You're right, he won't tempt all Brexiters to volte face! He doesn't need to, he only needs to tempt maybe 10% of them.

Thanks
    Tony Blair on one side, Iain Duncan Smith on the other. I would have to toss a coin to come to a decision as to which one to shoot first:-

Thanks
    I watched the speech but had to leave the question/answer session and what struck me was his nerves. He was quite stressed I thought, right through and tried to calm down by pouring glasses of water. Interesting. Perhaps he is after all just a desperate little man trying to defy his ageing and loss of reputation. Sadly once lost it is impossible to fully recover, and based on what I saw this morning he should quietly retire.
    You've only failed when you've stopped! xx