Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Foreign aid: UKIP calls for 80% cut in annual spending

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Foreign aid: UKIP calls for 80% cut in annual spending

The BBC reports Spending has failed to reduce poverty and only humanitarian and emergency projects should be continued.

More...

Thanks
    I for one can't argue with that call.

Thanks
    I have never understood our obsession with shovelling money into countries that are for instance in the space race, money thatseems to have a remarkable habit of finding it's way into secret bank accounts
    Even when a fuss was made about the money we dish out to India our government changed the name of the beneficiary

Thanks
    Bribery works.
    No reason not to use all the tools in our arsenal. It's not just militaries we use to persuade others.

Carrot and Stick > Stick.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I don't think you can put a figure on foreign aid . We should make foreign investment (which is what most of it is) a separate fund and emergency aid on a needs basis . Just throwing money overseas under 'foreign aid ' gives maybe too much reason to question exactly where the money is going

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Baff View Post
    Bribery works.
    No reason not to use all the tools in our arsenal. It's not just militaries we use to persuade others.

Carrot and Stick > Stick.
    The trouble is that the buggers are crooks; they just don't stay bought. Didn't we give an enormous bung to the Indians a few years back in the shape of educational aid, and the sods still bought French aircraft ?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanLuc View Post
    I have never understood our obsession with shovelling money into countries that are for instance in the space race, money thatseems to have a remarkable habit of finding it's way into secret bank accounts
    Even when a fuss was made about the money we dish out to India our government changed the name of the beneficiary
    You have never sold military equipment to arabs or africans have you.

As one whose missiles were sold (second hand, by a dodgy dealer) to one side in the Sierra Leone Conflict Diamonds business and whose radars to detect them were sold (again second hand, and by the same dodgy dealer) to the other side ...

Can I suggest the reasoning has more to do with the fact we cannot openly bribe (sorry ! I mean of course offer facilitation fees to) the Defence Minister of the country in question, but we can supplement their GDP with foreign aid ... which might possibly cross pollinate a few ledgers once out of our hands ...

Oh and by the way, my client charged that dodgy dealer a very fat fee to restructure the insurance market so as to cover the cost of insuring the shipment of that stuff, and I got the contract to rewrite the Lloyds of London system to handle it, so what goes around did indeed come around. I'm thinking of applying for the post of Ferengi Grand Nagus ...
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    You have never sold military equipment to arabs or africans have you.

As one whose missiles were sold (second hand, by a dodgy dealer) to one side in the Sierra Leone Conflict Diamonds business and whose radars to detect them were sold (again second hand, and by the same dodgy dealer) to the other side ...

Can I suggest the reasoning has more to do with the fact we cannot openly bribe (sorry ! I mean of course offer facilitation fees to) the Defence Minister of the country in question, but we can supplement their GDP with foreign aid ... which might possibly cross pollinate a few ledgers once out of our hands ...

Oh and by the way, my client charged that dodgy dealer a very fat fee to restructure the insurance market so as to cover the cost of insuring the shipment of that stuff, and I got the contract to rewrite the Lloyds of London system to handle it, so what goes around did indeed come around. I'm thinking of applying for the post of Ferengi Grand Nagus ...

The very simple answer of course is just to not sell any of the aforesaid goods to any of them

Thanks
    It is obvious that their are people in the world who desperately require aid. I'm not talking about the exodus of refugees hopping from border to border trying to get into the uk. I'm talking about the seemingly bottomless pit that is Africa.

It cannot be disputed that children are being born into such poverty that their chances of reaching the age of 10 are somewhere between remote and non non existent.

The money we spend on foreign aid is almost certainly not helping these poor people. Because the problem just continues year on year.

I wouldn't just say continue sending aid to starving Africans, I would say we should send more. We could start by giving them the money we are currently giving to India. A nation that has a space program has no need of our money whatsoever. So we divert that aid to Africa.

However, the food must come at a price. With a program of sterilisation of the newborns, and contraceptive injections for women of child bearing age.

I know this might sound harsh, but I don't mean it to be. Damnit, I remember the live aid videos in the 1980's, with "Who's Going to Drive You Home," playing in the background. Here we are over 30 years on and nothing has changed. We are still being bombarded with disturbing images of malnourished and starving children.

The time has come for the world to sort this out once and for all. These are people, not the animals on wildlife programs that we have to leave to the natural order of life.

We can only really save them if we stop those incapable of feeding themselves from producing more children. Because if you look closely at the images, it is only the babies and young children that are really suffering.

Thanks
    So on the one hand you say:
    Quote Originally Posted by TWNUK View Post
    However, the food must come at a price. With a program of sterilisation of the newborns, and contraceptive injections for women of child bearing age.
    and then on the other, you say,

The time has come for the world to sort this out once and for all. These are people, not the animals on wildlife programs that we have to leave to the natural order of life.
    So, are they people with rights, or are they stray dogs on the streets that need to be castrated?

I will agree that Africa needs more help, but sterilisation of newborns, disrespects their human rights and is totally unethical.
    Those African children may move around the world in years to come and they should not be prevented from having children of their own, as you say, these are people.