Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 47 48 49

Thread: UK economy post brexit

Thanks
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-bri...-idUKKBN19H2P6

UK consumer confidence plunges after May's election flop - YouGov/Cebr

Britain's messy election outcome and a weakening of the housing market have caused a sharp of loss of confidence among consumers, leaving the country dependent on exports to avoid a recession, according to a survey published on Tuesday.

An index of consumer confidence produced by polling firm YouGov fell back to just above levels last seen just after last year's shock referendum decision to leave the European Union.

"Our preliminary assessment is that economic growth will fall sharply over the coming months and the country will only be saved from recession by strong international trade," said Douglas McWilliams, deputy chairman at the Centre for Economics and Business Research which produces the index with YouGov.

pound fell again sharply this morning , and the mass exodus of eu citizens with their brain skills drain on the uk is well underway.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a7808751.html

Brexit: More than one million foreign workers preparing to leave UK within five years

Highly skilled workers are the most likely to consider leaving, with 47 per cent thinking about upping sticks by 2022

More than a million foreign workers are preparing to ditch Britain, adding to fears that the country is facing a Brexit brain drain, new research shows.

sing to me the history of my country. It is sweet to the soul to hear it. Flann Mac Lonain ( c.850-918 a.d)
    Alba gu brath An rud is fhiach a ghabhail, 's fhiach e iarraidh

Thanks
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-bri...-idUKKBN19I1FG

Plunge in UK confidence hits Debenhams, adds to slowdown fears

British consumer confidence plunged during the political crisis sparked by Prime Minister Theresa May's election flop, hitting the sales of general retailers such as Debenhams (DEB.L) just as shoppers' spending power is undermined by the pound's fall.

Two major surveys showed confidence among British consumers and retailers had fallen back to levels last seen in the wake of the shock 2016 Brexit vote which thrust Britain's $2.5 trillion (1.96 trillion pounds) economy onto an uncertain path.

we can all see the uk has jumped to the bottom of the league table for growth in the eu and g7.

well i say that except those hardened members of the brit nat brexit cult.

Brexit utopia is just round the corner , no really!

sing to me the history of my country. It is sweet to the soul to hear it. Flann Mac Lonain ( c.850-918 a.d)

Thanks
    If you think those league table are accurate to 1%, you are strongly mistaken.

Brain teaser.
    When is a hockey stick curve on the graph, not a hockey stick curve on the graph but a straight line?

Answer: When you increase the scale of the X axis.
    After you've zoomed out.

Under the electron microscope, pin heads look like mountain ranges. But they are not mountains, they are pin heads.

You'll find about as much useful economic data in that graph as you will reading a tea leaf. A graph displaying the rounding errors in their statistic. Not useful for anything at all except trick question in a statistics exam.

Thanks
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40416976

The Bank of England has forced banks to find a further £11.4bn in the next 18 months to beef up their finances against the risk of bad loans.
    Banks will have to set aside £5.7bn in the next six months in case future economic shocks mean some borrowers cannot keep up their repayments...

Mr Carney seems to be a worried man........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40416976
    UK economy falls to bottom of EU growth league
    https://qz.com/996097/the-us-and-uk-...ies-in-the-g7/

The US and UK are now the slowest growing economies in the G7

Thanks
    Then, despite the public bailout of the banks, which we paid for and never got much back. The bank managers and directors have continued with their huge bonuses, whilst the lending departments continue to build up toxic debt.
    No wonder Carney is worried, the recently revised banking regulations are either not robust enough, or have been ignored. There will be another collapse and bailout. Spain and Italy are already leaning over at a bad angle. Greece fell a couple of years back. I suppose it's all cash under the mattress there now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Then, despite the public bailout of the banks, which we paid for and never got much back. The bank managers and directors have continued with their huge bonuses, whilst the lending departments continue to build up toxic debt.
    No wonder Carney is worried, the recently revised banking regulations are either not robust enough, or have been ignored. There will be another collapse and bailout. Spain and Italy are already leaning over at a bad angle. Greece fell a couple of years back. I suppose it's all cash under the mattress there now.
    All true, although I think that we should add the rider that it is Carney's job to be worried, all the banks are doing well so the requirement to build up their reserves is not insurmountable and that the only real problem child is the Royal Bank of Scotland, which appears to be a latter day Darien scheme. I have long advocated calling Mr McEwan into the offices of Phil Hammond, smacking the former in the mouth with a past its self by date haggis and having the latter advise that is all the RBS can expect in future. But sadly that will probably not be.

We appear to be heading for a bit of a slowdown on the stock market, which means that there should be a few bargains to be had in the next few months.

Thanks
    https://amp.theguardian.com/business...s-to-the-pound

Britons travelling to Europe offered just 88 euro cents for £1
    British holidaymakers heading to Europe for this weekendís big getaway are being offered what may be the worst ever foreign exchange rates at British airports Ė in one case, just 88 euro cents for every pound they hand over.
    The 88 euro cents offered at Cardiff airport followed a difficult week for the pound on the foreign exchange markets, where sterling fell to its lowest level for eight months to Ä1.11...

Parity with the euro cant be far off now.

Meanwhile i see borkie and the boys are still enjoying listening to the band play as the titanic slowly sinks...........

Thanks
    Since Brexit got voted through.

Exports up by 16%.
    Tourism up by 18%.
    Bank recruitment up by 18%.

(Figures courtesy of Fraser Nelson at the Torygraph).

We trade more, consumer confidence is up.
    Investment is up.
    Sales are up.

And the mythical bank departure to the EU, (Lol @ Frankfurt, sorry Jerry) is not occurring either.

The economic argument?
    Those who suck at economics got ignored. And rightly so.

So far, so very good indeed.

Thanks
    Experts say,blah,blah,blah.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!