Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42

Thread: UK economy post brexit

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    I suspect it is more likely to be a result of people not liking Starbuck's tax avoidance and not going to Starbuck's.
    People get bored. The want something new.

When Starbucks was new, they loved it. Now it is old. Trends change. Fashions move on.
    Before Starbucks, sandwich bars were all the rage. But people got bored of sandwiches. There are not so many of them on the high street any more.

Thanks
    "Brexit 'putting off' EU workers from taking a UK job - recruiters"

http://news.sky.com/story/brexit-put...iters-10869776

Another day, another recruitment difficulty report post Brexit
    A Hand Up Not A Hand Out
    Terms and Conditions Apply

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanLuc View Post
    "Brexit 'putting off' EU workers from taking a UK job - recruiters"

http://news.sky.com/story/brexit-put...iters-10869776

Another day, another recruitment difficulty report post Brexit
    Remember when Gordon Brown (Labour, just to remind people) said "British jobs for British workers", knowing full well it could never be implemented whilst we were in the EU?
    This can only become a reality when we have left, March 2019, or earlier if the EU don't play nicely.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Remember when Gordon Brown (Labour, just to remind people) said "British jobs for British workers", knowing full well it could never be implemented whilst we were in the EU?
    This can only become a reality when we have left, March 2019, or earlier if the EU don't play nicely.

We just cannot manage without immigrant labour, be it from the EU or the rest of the world. There are certain jobs that UK citizens will not, and cannot, do
    A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

Thanks
    We just cannot manage without immigrant labour, be it from the EU or the rest of the world. There are certain jobs that UK citizens will not, and cannot, do
    Mainly because no-one ever asks them, UK citizens can't apply for jobs they don't know about.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    Mainly because no-one ever asks them, UK citizens can't apply for jobs they don't know about.

The Job Centres are full of information about jobs, as are the local papers and radio stations
    Is that the current excuse from the "workshy" - they don't know about jobs available. Bet if their benefits were stopped the lazy buggers would soon find work
    A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

Thanks
    The Job Centres are full of information about jobs, as are the local papers and radio stations
    Not the ones being filled by foreigners, they are not advertised anywhere in Britain. By the way when was the last time you went into a JobCentre. There no jobs advertised these days, that stopped a long time ago.

Thanks
    "Alan Titchmarsh blames Brexit for fall in Chelsea Flower Show sponsors

Alan Titchmarsh says the event will have eight show gardens this year, down from 17, as backers pulled out over the Leave vote"

http://news.sky.com/story/alan-titch...nsors-10889114
    A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

Thanks
    I buy into this.

I think UK folk won't do working class jobs. That they prefer to be on the dole.
    I think the govt won't train nurses and doctors, because it is cheaper to hire pre-trained ones from poor countries.
    And I think there are a very few high tech jobs that only a rare few have the know how for.

All I ask is that if you import them, you pay for them.
    I don't wish to be subsidising your profits.

So you pay the EU membership bill. You pay the immigration enforcement costs. You pay their health costs and their housing costs. Pay for their children schooling.
    You pay all that and see if it still looks profitable to you without my subsidy to your business.
    My bet is that it no longer will.

If it does, then carry on. Good luck with it.

Immigration was never the issue for me in Brexit. I understand the argument and agree with it, but I just don't really care.
    I can compete with any Pollack. I also might want to start a business with cheap willing staff and not over unionised wankers who demand more from me in return for their labours than the job actually makes and have been lead to expect higher things in life for themselves. Professional employment for example.