Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 489

Thread: UK economy post brexit

  1. #111
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,212
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 131 Times in 121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    That is odd. I was rather under the impression that the Remainers knew exactly what would happen after Brexit ; an economic winter that would last until the second coming or the BBC grew the balls to give up the TV licence
    We know some things that will happen after Brexit and so do the Brexiters. British people will lose their rights to live, work and do business freely anywhere in the EU. The Brexiters largely succeeded in blocking this topic out of the debate during the referendum by shouting constantly about controlling our borders and taking back sovereignty. But what we'll end up with is being outside a border that we were previously inside and giving up our say on EU regulations that we'll still need to comply with. Brexit is an own-goal for Britain, basically.
    I dahn do non-judgement'aw. ... and put ya blinkin' shirt on mate, wiwya!

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyperduck Quack Quack For This Useful Post:

    lankou (17-02-2017)

  3. #112
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,723
    Thanks
    567
    Thanked 253 Times in 222 Posts
    Pound taking another hit this morning anyone know why?

    Could it be this?
    Retail sales fall unexpectedly in January
    Retail sales slipped back unexpectedly in January, following on from December's dip.
    Official figures, from the Office for National Statistics (ONS), showed retail sales volumes dropped by 0.3% compared with the previous month, well below the 0.9% rise expected.
    The ONS said the data indicated the first signs of a fall in the underlying trend since December 2013.
    It said evidence suggested higher fuel and food prices were key factors.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39002325
    sing to me the history of my country. It is sweet to the soul to hear it. Flann Mac Lonain ( c.850-918 a.d)
    Alba gu brath An rud is fhiach a ghabhail, 's fhiach e iarraidh

  4. #113
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,723
    Thanks
    567
    Thanked 253 Times in 222 Posts
    More awkward news for Maggie May , looks like brussels gearing up to do a special deal for scotland .



    https://archive.is/9bAyg
    Brexit negotiators should consider deal which keeps Scotland in the single market, says EU report
    BRUSSELS is ready to do a separate Brexit deal with Scotland, according to leaked European Parliament negotiating documents.
    In a confidential report, seen by The National, senior EU figures say they’re ready to explore how to make the Scottish Government’s proposals for a differential Norwegian style post-Brexit model work.
    The only stumbling block for Scotland’s future relationship with Europe is Prime Minister Theresa May.
    The Tory leader and her ministers have insisted any Brexit deal has to be done “under a single banner”.
    sing to me the history of my country. It is sweet to the soul to hear it. Flann Mac Lonain ( c.850-918 a.d)
    Alba gu brath An rud is fhiach a ghabhail, 's fhiach e iarraidh

  5. #114
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,723
    Thanks
    567
    Thanked 253 Times in 222 Posts
    Slightly off topic but on the subject of an indy scotland in europe , the old english subsidy myth isnt even believed by scottish no voters.
    http://wingsoverscotland.com/doublethink-of-a-number/
    Doublethink of a Number
    ...In the whole country, more than twice as many Scots – 54% to 26% – reject the idea that they’re sustained only by the largesse of the English as believe it. And that’s the rational view, because the idea that Tory governments in particular would hand over billions of pounds every year to an ungrateful nation that only elects one Tory MP, purely out of kind-hearted patriotic sentimentality, is so self-evidently ludicrous we’re embarrassed to even type it out.

    You have to stay in the uk so we english tories can subsidise you

    Anyway if the EU story turns out to be true , then westminster will be stuck between a rock and a hard place .
    sing to me the history of my country. It is sweet to the soul to hear it. Flann Mac Lonain ( c.850-918 a.d)
    Alba gu brath An rud is fhiach a ghabhail, 's fhiach e iarraidh

  6. #115
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,058
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 167 Times in 137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Slightly off topic but on the subject of an indy scotland in europe , the old english subsidy myth isnt even believed by scottish no voters.

    http://wingsoverscotland.com/doublethink-of-a-number/
    Doublethink of a Number
    ...In the whole country, more than twice as many Scots – 54% to 26% – reject the idea that they’re sustained only by the largesse of the English as believe it. And that’s the rational view, because the idea that Tory governments in particular would hand over billions of pounds every year to an ungrateful nation that only elects one Tory MP, purely out of kind-hearted patriotic sentimentality, is so self-evidently ludicrous we’re embarrassed to even type it out.

    You have to stay in the uk so we english tories can subsidise you

    Anyway if the EU story turns out to be true , then westminster will be stuck between a rock and a hard place .
    The number of people who believe or disbelieve in the 'subsidy' has no relevance to whether it exists or not. Neither is it disproved by Tory electoral calculations. Tories are more likely to be unionists, and to understand the arguments in favour of more UK money being spent in Scotland.

  7. #116
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,306
    Thanks
    489
    Thanked 382 Times in 325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Pound taking another hit this morning anyone know why?
    It hasn't. It is $1.24. A few weeks back it was $1.19

    A fall wouldn't be a bad idea. It would make exports more competitive and have little effect on imports to England and Wales. But I doubt that we will see a significant drop until the end of March.

  8. #117
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,723
    Thanks
    567
    Thanked 253 Times in 222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by P. de Bierkabouter View Post
    The number of people who believe or disbelieve in the 'subsidy' has no relevance to whether it exists or not..
    False dichotomy.

    It doesnt exist , but wether it did or didnt , the number of people believing such obvious propaganda would be very relevant and crucial to a referendum on independence for obvious reasons.


    Neither is it disproved by Tory electoral calculations
    Not sure what you mean?

    One mp , 31 msps and currently riding high on a dead cat bounce in scotland where the unionists hardcore vote is deserting labour and going to the tories is hardly proof people believe the english subsidy myth by 24 % voting tory.

    The vast majority of scotland and both yes and no voters do not vote tory , which generally indicates a lack of belief in them on most given subjects


    Tories are more likely to be unionists, and to understand the arguments in favour of more UK money being spent in Scotland.
    Dont have time to delve into this but one of the very reasons the conservatives are hated in scotland is the fact they dont want uk money spent on scotland.

    The tories and westminster in general to be fair do not give scotland money.

    They borrow money on our behalf that we didnt ask for nor did we need , then spend it on stuff we dont want or need then make us pay it back.







    sing to me the history of my country. It is sweet to the soul to hear it. Flann Mac Lonain ( c.850-918 a.d)
    Alba gu brath An rud is fhiach a ghabhail, 's fhiach e iarraidh

  9. #118
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    222
    Thanked 164 Times in 135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperduck Quack Quack View Post
    We know some things that will happen after Brexit and so do the Brexiters. British people will lose their rights to live, work and do business freely anywhere in the EU. The Brexiters largely succeeded in blocking this topic out of the debate during the referendum by shouting constantly about controlling our borders and taking back sovereignty. But what we'll end up with is being outside a border that we were previously inside and giving up our say on EU regulations that we'll still need to comply with. Brexit is an own-goal for Britain, basically.
    You will still need to comply with EU regulations if you wish to export goods to the EU.
    Just as you always have.

    "We" however, the rest of us who do not export to the EU, won't.
    Those who profit from this relationship must foot the bill for it. No one else.

    You will have to negotiate with EU countries directly if you seek citizenship or residency there. Just as their citizens will have to do to come here.
    This will resolve a massive social injustice where the needs of a very few of us, cause issue for the bulk of us. The few of us who wish to emigrate to the EU are vastly eclipsed by the numbers of people coming here in "reciprocation".
    This country will no longer screw itself over just to appease your selfishness.

  10. #119
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    West Country
    Posts
    1,769
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 87 Times in 81 Posts
    "British businesses have already started setting up shadow units on the continent and shifting investment to the other side of the UK border in Ireland, according to a new report on Brexit from Britain's leading business lobby group.


    The British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) found that companies are growing increasingly concerned about the impact on their business from Brexit, and are already taking action to guard against it."

    http://news.sky.com/story/firms-star...urvey-10784602

    Todays Brexit effect

  11. #120
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    1,995
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 439 Times in 349 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanLuc View Post
    The British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) found that companies are growing increasingly concerned about the impact on their business from Brexit, and are already taking action to guard against it."
    Figures. My brother (a metallurgist) told me recently of an engineering firm he's known for many years. Somewhere down Bristol way, it's a company that does something exotic concerning aeroengines. Most of their work comes from elsewhere in Europe. A couple of years ago they were expanding their workforce and currently have about 30 employees. Delauney Senior said they're shortly to run down the operation (it's a family firm established post-War) and move to Germany. Ironically, there will be generous EU funding to go toward their relocation costs.

    Just one example (I can point to many in my own industry), but it'll become more commonplace over the next few years.

Similar Threads

  1. Wales to lose out Post-Brexit
    By callmecato in forum Brexit
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 17-07-2016, 02:56 AM
  2. A New Union Jack Post Brexit?
    By Europa in forum Brexit
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 26-06-2016, 06:18 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 25-06-2016, 03:11 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-06-2014, 10:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •