Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump vs The Establishment

Thanks

Trump vs The Establishment

Very interesting at the moment and fair I think to say that now just days away from his inauguration, that the gloves are coming off on both sides.

There has been a lot of classic misdirection over the last few days, of Trump against the Democrats, against over Republicans, against the Intelligence Community, against the media, and also against Big Pharm and the Defence Contractors.
    It makes for a very good bit of pinball style knockabout on TV, but it becomes a rather more stark focus, if you simply say Trump vs the Establishment, in all its forms and branches.

Since November, it as almost been like a phoney war. I was not surprised that he dropped the "Lock her up" and "Drain the Swamp" mantras. I was not surprised because I do see how this period between election and inauguration can be very dangerous, with the President elect not in control of the levers of power and vulnerable to those that still are. This therefore is a time for soothing and reassuring noises, rather than brash offensives.

He made it though quite well, by making a number of appointments that pleased various lobbies and making attention grabbing noises off, which had little real significance.

Obviously the establishment has not been convinced and have been busy with the shredders since November.
    I further have no doubt that this is a final shot to try and blunt his initial days in office. I suspect the next few months could be pretty brutal as President Trump looks for payback!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampan View Post
    Very interesting at the moment and fair I think to say that now just days away from his inauguration, that the gloves are coming off on both sides.

There has been a lot of classic misdirection over the last few days, of Trump against the Democrats, against over Republicans, against the Intelligence Community, against the media, and also against Big Pharm and the Defence Contractors.
    It makes for a very good bit of pinball style knockabout on TV, but it becomes a rather more stark focus, if you simply say Trump vs the Establishment, in all its forms and branches.

Since November, it as almost been like a phoney war. I was not surprised that he dropped the "Lock her up" and "Drain the Swamp" mantras. I was not surprised because I do see how this period between election and inauguration can be very dangerous, with the President elect not in control of the levers of power and vulnerable to those that still are. This therefore is a time for soothing and reassuring noises, rather than brash offensives.

He made it though quite well, by making a number of appointments that pleased various lobbies and making attention grabbing noises off, which had little real significance.

Obviously the establishment has not been convinced and have been busy with the shredders since November.
    I further have no doubt that this is a final shot to try and blunt his initial days in office. I suspect the next few months could be pretty brutal as President Trump looks for payback!
    I would agree with that and no matter what we think of the man, right or wrong, wise or stupid , he is the democratic winner. The recent reports say as much about the establishment as it does Trump. Death thro's come to mind.

Just one thing that concerns me a little. Trump must be using a terrific amount of energy keeping this performance on track. I just wonder if, once he is in the White House, whether that might be fait accompli for him. Did he really believe he would win? Was his plan to only upset the Establishment, make a name for himself and then walk away? Will he lose momentum rather as Obama did, does he have a viable plan?

Interesting days, but no man is an island and I fear his ability to apparently lose control. Or is that another act? Where the USA leads we tend to follow, I hope Mrs May is not sucked in. Blair was in awe and envious of the title President, he did his best to emulate here, I don't think May will be as vulnerable. For once the lack of testosterone may become an advantage!
    You've only failed when you've stopped trying! xx

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T00ts View Post
    I would agree with that and no matter what we think of the man, right or wrong, wise or stupid , he is the democratic winner. The recent reports say as much about the establishment as it does Trump. Death thro's come to mind.

Just one thing that concerns me a little. Trump must be using a terrific amount of energy keeping this performance on track. I just wonder if, once he is in the White House, whether that might be fait accompli for him. Did he really believe he would win? Was his plan to only upset the Establishment, make a name for himself and then walk away? Will he lose momentum rather as Obama did, does he have a viable plan?

Interesting days, but no man is an island and I fear his ability to apparently lose control. Or is that another act? Where the USA leads we tend to follow, I hope Mrs May is not sucked in. Blair was in awe and envious of the title President, he did his best to emulate here, I don't think May will be as vulnerable. For once the lack of testosterone may become an advantage!

Thanks, but I think this has to be for real. I cannot imagine that anyone would seriously go up against these people unless they really meant it and believed that they knew how to pull it off. The establishment never has a sense of humour and always plays for keeps.

Lets be plain here. If Trump is genuine, then this is an attempt at Regime Change and no Regime will ever simply put its hands up and say "ok you win I give up" until it has tried every possible means to cling to power and been beaten.
    I think the coming period could very quickly become very, very nasty and I did read in Obama's speech yesterday pointers of preparation for that eventuality. In short the cloak of respectability that such violent clinging will be given.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampan View Post
    Thanks, but I think this has to be for real. I cannot imagine that anyone would seriously go up against these people unless they really meant it and believed that they knew how to pull it off. The establishment never has a sense of humour and always plays for keeps.

Lets be plain here. If Trump is genuine, then this is an attempt at Regime Change and no Regime will ever simply put its hands up and say "ok you win I give up" until it has tried every possible means to cling to power and been beaten.
    I think the coming period could very quickly become very, very nasty and I did read in Obama's speech yesterday pointers of preparation for that eventuality. In short the cloak of respectability that such violent clinging will be given.
    But surely once he has taken the oath etc and got his hands on the codes he will then go through the Establishment with a scythe. That's if he has the attention span. I confess there is something about him that just doesn't add up for me. Having said that the final choice was a no win either way.

A far as regime change goes we are only talking Mid Left to Mid Right aren't we, any more than that and US electorate would have the guns out. It just might be my female intuition in overdrive but to me he seems a bit thick. There's little behind his eyes,

Thanks
    Whatever happens, I suggest there will be many more surprises (some earth-shattering perhaps literally) before Trump and his troupe of Trumpettes and Trumplettes get through their first couple of years. There are still murmurs of impeachment (though for what, is not clear), and he's not yet installed...!
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time meanwhile, still waiting for the whip hand that Enoch forecast...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T00ts View Post
    But surely once he has taken the oath etc and got his hands on the codes he will then go through the Establishment with a scythe. That's if he has the attention span. I confess there is something about him that just doesn't add up for me. Having said that the final choice was a no win either way.

A far as regime change goes we are only talking Mid Left to Mid Right aren't we, any more than that and US electorate would have the guns out. It just might be my female intuition in overdrive but to me he seems a bit thick. There's little behind his eyes,

Haha
    The point I believe is that real Regime Change is not so much about ideology, its really about the individuals that pull the strings and call the shots and reap the benefits. These guys will not hand over, just because you ask nicely!

Thanks
    I'm not sure Trump has a nice anything in his body!

Thanks
    This related news item is interesting:-

More at link:-
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38591382

Ex-MI6 officer Christopher Steele in hiding after Trump dossier

• 1 hour ago
    • From the section UK

An ex-MI6 officer who is believed to have prepared memos claiming Russia has compromising material on US President-elect Donald Trump is now in hiding, the BBC understands.
    Christopher Steele, who runs a London-based intelligence firm, is believed to have left his home this week.
    The memos contains unsubstantiated claims that Russian security officials have compromising material on Mr Trump.
    The US president-elect said the claims were "fake news" and "phoney stuff".
    Mr Steele has been widely named as the author of a series of memos - which has been published as a dossier in some US media - that contains extensive allegations about Mr Trump's personal life and his campaign's relationship with the Russian state.

Among the allegations are that Moscow has a video recording of Mr Trump with prostitutes and damaging information about his business activities.
    'In fear'

BBC News correspondent Paul Wood said he understood Mr Steele left his home on either Tuesday or Wednesday, before he was publicly named, and was now "in hiding".
    He said he had been told Mr Steele, a father of four, had asked his neighbour to look after his three cats.
    Our correspondent said he had been shown the memos about Mr Trump in October last year, when he was told Mr Steele was "in fear of his life", having spoken out about potential Russian involvement in Mr Trump's election.
    He said he had been told by members of the intelligence community that Mr Steele was "extremely highly regarded" and was thought of as "competent".

Thanks
    Perhaps Donald Trump's greatest talent is his ability to make enemies.
    I dahn do non-judgement'aw. ... and put ya blinkin' shirt on mate, wiwya!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 959 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperduck Quack Quack View Post
    Perhaps Donald Trump's greatest talent is his ability to make enemies.
    And despite all the naysayers,adverse publicity and opposition from his own party managed to win the top job.
    Being an oldie I thougt I'd adopt millwalls chant "Nobody likes us we don't care" and I certainly don't anymore