Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 10 year plan?

Thanks

10 year plan?

I read and watched with interest the shenanigans at the EU summit yesterday. How petty, how childish and how typical of the mind games that the EU leaders have honed to perfection.

Mrs May ignored and belittled - or so the media would have us believe. Massive financial demands to cover their inflated costs. Then the claim that it is all going to take 10 years.

That was when I stopped the other thing I was doing while taking all this in. 10 years! You never know - the political scene here, and there, could well be a completely different colour by then. Are they hoping that it will work in their favour and we will be, once again, joined at the hip with this obviously failing organisation, by a new pro EU government?

We would do well to have plenty of cojones when we embark on this divorce. There is nothing so vicious as a woman scorned and the EU is like a lot of very catty hormonal women scratching, sobbing and hysterically clawing their way into getting their own way. I hope for once our politicians put this country first and call their bluff. We girls are masters of that game and it takes one to know one. One advantage we have? A woman PM! I hope she uses all her female intuition on this one!

The EU blabs and blusters, so much for no negotiation yet. They simply want to force our position out into the open because as usual they don't have a clue what to do.

Mrs May - keep your plans out of the media and close to your chest, the EU can't stand that so many here saw through them and they want to know ahead of time what we will do. Keep them guessing! Go Girl!
    ...till I die I will not remove mine integrity from me, xx

2. The Following User Says Thank You to T00ts For This Useful Post:

Barry (16-12-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T00ts View Post
    Then the claim that it is all going to take 10 years.

!
    There are several trade agreements that have taken that long that were a lot simpler than Brexit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    There are several trade agreements that have taken that long that were a lot simpler than Brexit.
    Agreed - but is it naive to imagine that the EU will play a straight bat? I hope they do but the signs are not good.
    ...till I die I will not remove mine integrity from me, xx

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have shares in FTSE 100 companies that didn't exist 5 years ago, let alone 10.

If the trade agreements last 10 years to work out it is because the various civil servants involved are padding the job out. We could walk out of the EU tomorrow and if the Burghers of Brussels and elsewhere put up trade barriers, we could do the same. Since we import more from the EU than they do from us, then Mr Juncker and Tusk would have a bit of explaining to do to their constituents, except of course, they haven't got any.

The Brexit negotiations could be sorted out in an afternoon over a few pies and pints, but they won't be because afterwards the a lot of the negotiators would be effectively firing themselves.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post

The Brexit negotiations could be sorted out in an afternoon over a few pies and pints, but they won't be because afterwards the a lot of the negotiators would be effectively firing themselves.

You really do have to be joking. (For a start Britain does not have any skilled trade agreement negotiators within government.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,007 Times in 665 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T00ts View Post
    I read and watched with interest the shenanigans at the EU summit yesterday. How petty, how childish and how typical of the mind games that the EU leaders have honed to perfection.

Mrs May ignored and belittled - or so the media would have us believe. Massive financial demands to cover their inflated costs. Then the claim that it is all going to take 10 years.

That was when I stopped the other thing I was doing while taking all this in. 10 years! You never know - the political scene here, and there, could well be a completely different colour by then. Are they hoping that it will work in their favour and we will be, once again, joined at the hip with this obviously failing organisation, by a new pro EU government?

We would do well to have plenty of cojones when we embark on this divorce. There is nothing so vicious as a woman scorned and the EU is like a lot of very catty hormonal women scratching, sobbing and hysterically clawing their way into getting their own way. I hope for once our politicians put this country first and call their bluff. We girls are masters of that game and it takes one to know one. One advantage we have? A woman PM! I hope she uses all her female intuition on this one!

The EU blabs and blusters, so much for no negotiation yet. They simply want to force our position out into the open because as usual they don't have a clue what to do.

Mrs May - keep your plans out of the media and close to your chest, the EU can't stand that so many here saw through them and they want to know ahead of time what we will do. Keep them guessing! Go Girl!
    I agree entirely.

However this is the 'cold war' with both sides squaring up. Much of what is being reported is being said for effect. It is best to ignore all this 'white noise'. It may well take ten years for a trade agreement to be agreed with the EU. There are 27 countries (at the moment) each with different national interests and agendas so of course it is going to be difficult. However this doesn't mean we won't be trading with European nations even if it is on WTO terms (tariff based trade is more in the UK's interests than the EU's). It is also an optimistic economic assumption that the EU will exist in anything like its present form in five years time let alone ten.

We should also remember that the EU (incl the UK) only accounts for 15% of world trade and this percentage is shrinking annually. China, India, USA, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand among many nations have already indicated not only a willingness but a desire to negotiate trade agreements with the UK, which remains the fifth biggest economy in the world.

We should also realise that the UK's departure from this failing and shambolic organisation is extremely bad news economically and politically for the EU. The undemocratic backlash from the 'remoaners', reflected in Westminster by the SNP, the Liberal Democrats and an uncertain number of Labour and Tory MPs remain a minority but a considerable one and the EU Commission would like nothing more than to force a second referendum with a view to overturning a national democratic majority. It would not be for the first time.

The other issue of course is that Liberal Elite in Brussels and at the head of numerous EU national governments, are unnerved by the growing groundswell of anti-liberal and anti-EU feeling and wish to try to discourage such democratic initiatives and one way to do this is to attempt to punish the UK.

There is no such thing as a soft or a hard 'Brexit'. There is simply Brexit and that means a complete removal of the UK from the EU. One of the few true and valid consequences pounded out daily by the 'Remain Campaign' was that we would lose open, unencumbered access to the Single Market, and yet a majority of 1.3m voters still voted to leave. The Single Market is not the Holy Grail; it can be replaced and surpassed.

I have a growing faith that we have the most competent, tough and uncompromising PM since Margaret Thatcher, and that is, as far as I'm concerned, very much in the UK's interests. Despite the massive distractions from little people with little agendas I believe she will guide our nation through the next few years and deliver what an electoral majority voted for. Had the referendum been a General Election the leave vote would have secured a 166 seat majority.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Sinic For This Useful Post:

T00ts (16-12-2016)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    You really do have to be joking. (For a start Britain does not have any skilled trade agreement negotiators within government.)
    What skilled trade negotiators? Have you been wearing that tin foil hat with the hole in it again?

Do you call upon a skilled negotiator when you want to buy a can of beans, a car, a house, a pint of beer? Of course you don't. Although, come to think about it, maybe you do.

Negotiations take as long as you want them to take, which as far as the mandarins and other ranks of the civil services on all sides, will be a bloody long time. Not because the matters are involved, but because Brexit means a lot of redundant civil servants, and turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    What skilled trade negotiators? Have you been wearing that tin foil hat with the hole in it again?

Do you call upon a skilled negotiator when you want to buy a can of beans, a car, a house, a pint of beer? Of course you don't. Although, come to think about it, maybe you do.

Negotiations take as long as you want them to take, which as far as the mandarins and other ranks of the civil services on all sides, will be a bloody long time. Not because the matters are involved, but because Brexit means a lot of redundant civil servants, and turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
    I honestly cannot believe you can be as thick as you appear to be. Are you on a wind up?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Sinic View Post

There is no such thing as a soft or a hard 'Brexit'. There is simply Brexit and that means a complete removal of the UK from the EU. One of the few true and valid consequences pounded out daily by the 'Remain Campaign' was that we would lose open, unencumbered access to the Single Market, and yet a majority of 1.3m voters still voted to leave. The Single Market is not the Holy Grail; it can be replaced and surpassed.

I have a growing faith that we have the most competent, tough and uncompromising PM since Margaret Thatcher, and that is, as far as I'm concerned, very much in the UK's interests. Despite the massive distractions from little people with little agendas I believe she will guide our nation through the next few years and deliver what an electoral majority voted for. Had the referendum been a General Election the leave vote would have secured a 166 seat majority.
    Have you actually checked her record as Home Secretary?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,007 Times in 665 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldworker View Post
    Have you actually checked her record as Home Secretary?
    Of course I am aware of her record and, with just a few exceptions, approve of both the record and the skills of our longest serving Home Secretary in decades. This BBC report provides a fair and relatively impartial review of her legacy.

The glaring omission in her role was of course immigration, but as a puppet of the EU albeit I suspect an unwilling one, she, her government and indeed the nation were powerless to do much about this. Once we have left this crumbling, undemocratic bureaucratic oligarchy we might be able to make measurable progress in this area.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36767844

By the way welcome to the forum. Since you only seem to have taken issue with just one sentence in a fairly meaty post I will assume that you are broadly in agreement with the main thrust. Unless you are going to be one of those posters who snipes from the sidelines by picking out just one point in a debate and then raising a non-committal question from which one might infer disapproval..