Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Police shootings in USA - discussion

Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,330 Posts

Police shootings in USA - discussion

Events in the last few days have seen a person shot by police whilst restrained on the ground and another black man shot in a car whilst trying to give an officer his requested ID. The following protests have seen five police officers shot dead and 7 more wounded.
    BBC report
    I know that policing is a difficult task in any place in the world.
    Is it that the police need retraining? Are the police racist?

In the past, I am sure that there has been plenty of covering up of evidence, but in these days of freely available video - including live streaming, that is much more difficult. The presence of the video can give a skewed view as it never tells the whole story, and reaction to it might cause a public order problem based on what is perceived, based on only part facts.

The Spanish government fear this type of thing and have done their best to outlaw the video recording and photography of police officers.
    I think that it is a breach of our rights to stop us photographing the police in action. Every piece of evidence from a crime has to be considered. Video evidence is usually extremely useful.

Thanks
    I think this will result in an acceleration of the introduction of police having to be fitted with recording devices (video and sound). It would deter illegal actions by police but also help to defend them from false accusations.

Racism is still very prevalent, shockingly so, in the southern states in the US. It isn't surprising that it is just as prevalent, and maybe moreso, within the local police. It does not help that there are also so many guns about.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well this is america

I have enough issues with British police shooting people of all colours in the UK

I can't really be arsed worrying about a country that allows people to privately own anti tank weapons especially since there's no way on earth I'm visiting it
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,330 Posts
    I wouldn't visit it either, although that's not the point. If I turn up there they expect me to give my fingerprints and photograph, even if just passing through. So much control freakery.
    I don't think this is about public possession of firearms.
    Grumzed: I think it's about how police officers view a person. Would the young black man (Philando Castile) in his car with his girlfriend and her 4 years old daughter have been shot if he had been a middle aged white man (John Doe) explaining about his concealed weapon permit?
    Who knows, but the perception of a threat would appear to be different according to what an officer sees, and that is some powerful form of discrimination.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Would the young black man (Philando Castile) in his car with his girlfriend and her 4 years old daughter have been shot if he had been a middle aged white man (John Doe) explaining about his concealed weapon permit?
    Have you been to disneyland florida

Have you seen the advice to tourists ?

I have for a very, very long time fancied finding three months of nothign whatsoever to do, flying to chicago, picking up route 66 as was ... especially since there are a number of things i would really like to do on the far end, the pacific coast ...

But when the bloody advice to tourists handed out by thomson when you think about booking a holiday to DISNEYLAND FLORIDA there tells you to keep your hands in plain sight if pulled over in your hire car on your fly drive holiday because the locals are allowed to concealed carry, and this makes the local plod nervous, then thanks very much but ***k that I'm going to take a holiday somewhere else. Like maybe downtown bloody srebrenica ...
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Thanks
    Listening to a BBC radio broadcast today, I heard a remark by a black American police officer, who said that because of the prevalence of firearms amongst the population at large, that when off duty he is also concerned at the prospect of being shot by a trigger-happy white police officer.

I am sure there is racism in the USA (as there is here in UK), but there they have the added problem of everyone potentially having a firearm and using it!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    Have you been to disneyland florida

Have you seen the advice to tourists?

But when the bloody advice to tourists handed out by thomson when you think about booking a holiday to DISNEYLAND FLORIDA there tells you to keep your hands in plain sight if pulled over in your hire car on your fly drive holiday because the locals are allowed to concealed carry, and this makes the local plod nervous, then thanks very much but ***k that I'm going to take a holiday somewhere else. Like maybe downtown bloody srebrenica ...
    I have been travelling to Disneyland Florida for over 30 years, and learnt the advice on keeping hands visible when stopped by the police on my first visit a long time ago!

I have never been stopped by the American police in the whole of that time, but would do it religiously if I were stopped in future.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If I turn up there they expect me to give my fingerprints and photograph, even if just passing through. So much control freakery.
    Saudi Arabia might not be a good choice for ideal working locations then Barry ... and that's before we get anywhere near what they do to people who try to practice your religion out there....
    --

Thanks
    Good grief, for all the problems the US has with gun crime (and gun accidents) the actual chance of getting shot whilst on holiday is still very, very small, especially if you make a point of not going into dodgy areas. I've travelled to the US quite a bit, and driven there on a number of occasions, and never had any problems; I did get a bit concerned when I got lost in New York city and ended up in an area that was not so safe (my first time in the US in about 1974) but there were no incidents.

Yes, if stopped the advice is to stay in the vehicle, open the window and keep your hands on the wheel. You do need to be aware that the traffic laws are different too, even state to state.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,780 Posts
    Police are just a reflection of humanity in general,there's the good the bad and the ugly,the main difference being the power they wield and add to the mix weapons and racism is it any wonder such things happen.
    The right to bear arms is so ingrained in to american culture it would take an immense sea change for that to disappear,if arms were as freely available here make no mistake we would have similar incidents.
    The new parliamentary democracy,it's not the will of the people that counts but the will of 650......will come back to haunt them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cromwell For This Useful Post:

johnofgwent (08-07-2016)