Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Because if the teachers were armed, shootings would be LESS likely.....

Thanks
    Thanked 3,434 Times in 2,656 Posts
    Blog Entries

Because if the teachers were armed, shootings would be LESS likely.....

Yeah, right. What is wrong with these people?!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/09/us...anted=all&_r=0

Thanks
    For as long as madmen have guns, and the issue of whether they do or don't is another argument, arming Teachers makes sense. If someone tries to go on the rampage, and can be taken out quickly, it will mean less deaths.

Obviously, NO deaths would be far better of course.
    True focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright Young Thing View Post
    For as long as madmen have guns, and the issue of whether they do or don't is another argument, arming Teachers makes sense. If someone tries to go on the rampage, and can be taken out quickly, it will mean less deaths.

Back to school by the numbers – Schools of Thought - CNN.com Blogs
    There are 54 million school children in the US taught by 3 and a half million teachers.
    The chances of one of those children getting hold of a teacher's gun and shooting people, or indeed of one of those teachers snapping and going mental, versus the chance it might help bring the occasional Sandy Hook style shooting to a close slightly earlier doesn't really stack up as far as I can see it.
    So unproductive has conservatism been in producing a general conception of how a social order is maintained that its modern votaries, in trying to construct a theoretical foundation, invariably find themselves appealing almost exclusively to authors who regarded themselves as liberal. - F.A. Hayek

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JacquesMagique View Post
    Back to school by the numbers – Schools of Thought - CNN.com Blogs
    There are 54 million school children in the US taught by 3 and a half million teachers.
    The chances of one of those children getting hold of a teacher's gun and shooting people, or indeed of one of those teachers snapping and going mental, versus the chance it might help bring the occasional Sandy Hook style shooting to a close slightly earlier doesn't really stack up as far as I can see it.
    You just don't think these things through: arming the school children would obviously then prevent the odd rogue teacher or class-mate going postal.

Thanks

Or ... it could mean a gun battle raging between armed nutters and armed school teachers, with lots of kiddy-winks in between. Oops, there goes little Suzy, and little Johnny - sodding ricochets! What am I going to tell their mums and dads?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,178 Posts
    If just one teacher saves just one life, it will all have been worth it. :p
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

Thanks
    The trouble, as usual, is all the UK members are approaching this from the angle that no-one should be allowed to carry guns. This is never going to happen in the US, no matter how much anyone thinks it should.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The trouble, as usual, is all the UK members are approaching this from the angle that no-one should be allowed to carry guns.
    Please don't put words in our mouths. I'm certainly not approaching it from that angle. I'm approaching it from the angle that increasing the number of guns in schools isn't going to reduce the number of shootings in schools.
    So unproductive has conservatism been in producing a general conception of how a social order is maintained that its modern votaries, in trying to construct a theoretical foundation, invariably find themselves appealing almost exclusively to authors who regarded themselves as liberal. - F.A. Hayek

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarn View Post
    Or ... it could mean a gun battle raging between armed nutters and armed school teachers, with lots of kiddy-winks in between. Oops, there goes little Suzy, and little Johnny - sodding ricochets! What am I going to tell their mums and dads?
    Obviously, the ideal solution is no guns, but since that will never happen, your logic fails. Look at it this way, is it better to have only the armed nutters? I'd rather have armed and trained teachers to defend against the armed nutters should they appear, the likelihood I will admit is low.

• �For the two of us, home isn't a place. It is a person. And we are finally home.�

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JacquesMagique View Post
    Please don't put words in our mouths. I'm certainly not approaching it from that angle. I'm approaching it from the angle that increasing the number of guns in schools isn't going to reduce the number of shootings in schools.
    Okay, with hindsight maybe that wasn't the best choice of words. I meant more that a lot of UK members will approach it from a zero tolerance side. No offence intended JM.

As to whether or not it will reduce shootings in school, no-one can yet say whether it will or not. But from my POV, the current situation means that your nutter with a gun will now know that the teachers are armed...so this may dissuade him.