Thread: Do MPs deserve an extra week off?

srb7677 Guest

Do MPs deserve an extra week off?

I was just listening to James Whale on LBC, and apparently MPs are planning to quietly vote themselves an extra week off in November! One of the few MPs (I didn`t catch his name) who is critical of the intention was on air fuming about it. So "we`re all in this together" are we?

These damn MPs want us to make all the sacrifices while the gravy train rolls ever onward for them, it seems. Yet another, extra, week off!!! They get enough time off already, for crying out loud! They get the kind of break in the summer that even our schoolkids can only dream about, many weeks more at Christmas, still more at Easter, still more for the party conferences. And they are planning to vote themselves an extra week`s paid leave on top, whilst the rest of us are seeing our incomes squeezed and entitlements and pension provisions slashed!!! Do they really think so highly of themselves, and hold us in such contempt? It defies belief! The sheer self-interested, out-of-touch, arrogance of it!

I needed that rant.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Do MPs deserve an extra week off?

In a word - NO!
    "The people who have sacrificed their view in order to get to the top have very often left no footprints in the sands of time." Tony Benn

janice Guest

Sounds like a good start to me.

Based on the assumption that the less do, the less problems they cause us, I would be very happy if they were given their full pay and allowances to work for just 1 day a week (with 12 weeks holiday a year). At least then they could try to focus on what is important rather than filling up their time with pointless activity.

Quote Originally Posted by srb7677 View Post
    I was just listening to James Whale on LBC, and apparently MPs are planning to quietly vote themselves an extra week off in November! One of the few MPs (I didn`t catch his name) who is critical of the intention was on air fuming about it. So "we`re all in this together" are we?

These damn MPs want us to make all the sacrifices while the gravy train rolls ever onward for them, it seems. Yet another, extra, week off!!! They get enough time off already, for crying out loud! They get the kind of break in the summer that even our schoolkids can only dream about, many weeks more at Christmas, still more at Easter, still more for the party conferences. And they are planning to vote themselves an extra week`s paid leave on top, whilst the rest of us are seeing our incomes squeezed and entitlements and pension provisions slashed!!! Do they really think so highly of themselves, and hold us in such contempt? It defies belief! The sheer self-interested, out-of-touch, arrogance of it!

I needed that rant.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,380 Times in 981 Posts

Sounds like a good start to me too ,
    I'd give them another 51 weeks off to go with it and put some decent folk in their place

Moriarty Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    Sounds like a good start to me too ,
    I'd give them another 51 weeks off to go with it and put some decent folk in their place
    I almost agree. I'd just give them 52 weeks a year off. There's quite a bit wrong with this country, but not having enough laws isn't one of them.

Thanks

I would like MP's to take an extra 51 weeks off.
    The more time they spend on holiday, the less time they have to interfere with the rest of us.