Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: American Blackmail

Lois Lane Guest

American Blackmail

The USA has held back 200 million dollars of aid to Palestine after she bid at the UN for statehood status.

Palestinians Say U.S. Aid Freeze Underway - TIME

By insisting that statehood come through negotiations with Israel, the US is effectively placing that in the hands of Israel who have made it clear they don't want a Palestinian state. Therefore any negotiations will be skewed away from providing a solution which may open that door.
    Further, what on earth does Israel have to do with allowing a Palestinian state? Just what international power do they hold to stop such a move? They continue to say they don't control Palestine and yet they are allowed by the ROW to do just that.
    Further, Israeal is continuing to build settlements in the West Bank and have no intentions of stopping.

This is pure blackmail and another way of containing and controlling Palestine. Rather than supporting Palestine or at the very least being a neutral broker, Obama has capitulated to the Israelis and become their puppet.

Just who runs the USA?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: American Blackmail

Just who runs the USA?
    Do you really have to ask that question, Lois? Have you not paid attention to AIPAC's role in US politics? Did you miss the neoconservatives in Bush's administration, who let our ME foreign policy be written in Jerusalem? Or AIPAC's funding of the hardcore religious right here?

Oh, and the next stop is a war with Iran. That war, like the Iraq war, will be fought at the direction of the hard right of Israel.

And don't think for even a second that those same influences aren't at work in your country. Who's your next Tony Blair?
    The current GOP is a greater threat to the stability and security of the United States than al Qaeda ever was. How very sad for America and Americans.

Thanks

The United States of America and Israel's bond is unbreakable which is why I found it amusing when Obama promised change in US dealings with the Israel-Palestine conflict. In reality nothing has changed as apparent by the US refusal to back a Palestinian state being introduced. In fact has Obama changed anything since being elected to office in early 2009?

This article makes for an interesting read:Palestinian state quest wins first victory in UNESCO vote - Telegraph. France seems to have forgotten that Israel and Palestine have been locked into negotiations for decades and nothing good has come out of these "peace talks", it is usually met with stubborness and a flat out refusal to reach a compromise which in return is met with military action by both sides.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pique View Post
    The United States of America and Israel's bond is unbreakable which is why I found it amusing when Obama promised change in US dealings with the Israel-Palestine conflict. In reality nothing has changed as apparent by the US refusal to back a Palestinian state being introduced. In fact has Obama changed anything since being elected to office in early 2009?

This article makes for an interesting read:Palestinian state quest wins first victory in UNESCO vote - Telegraph. France seems to have forgotten that Israel and Palestine have been locked into negotiations for decades and nothing good has come out of these "peace talks", it is usually met with stubborness and a flat out refusal to reach a compromise which in return is met with military action by both sides.
    If nothing has changed under Obama, then why is Israel so anti-Obama?
    The current GOP is a greater threat to the stability and security of the United States than al Qaeda ever was. How very sad for America and Americans.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post

Just who runs the USA?
    An idiot that knows he is in trouble with the pro Israel lobby so he is trying to kiss their ass before the election.
    Libtards hate freedom unless it is the freedom to kill a child on demand for the sake of convenience. Otherwise they want the government to control every aspect of our lives.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    An idiot that knows he is in trouble with the pro Israel lobby so he is trying to kiss their ass before the election.
    Gee, thanks for that really intelligent response. Just who is the pro-Israel lobby, if not the neoconservatives? Your boy Mittens is all cozied up with them, and he's promising them a big increase in military spending and a 'closer' alignment with Israel. You do know Israel wants a war with Iran, don't you? The one they got Cheney to buy into where only the top military prevented it. You do know about that, right?

You ready for another war? Oh, and how are you people going to pay for that one?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,492 Times in 924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraP View Post
    Do you really have to ask that question, Lois? Have you not paid attention to AIPAC's role in US politics? Did you miss the neoconservatives in Bush's administration, who let our ME foreign policy be written in Jerusalem? Or AIPAC's funding of the hardcore religious right here?

Oh, and the next stop is a war with Iran. That war, like the Iraq war, will be fought at the direction of the hard right of Israel.

And don't think for even a second that those same influences aren't at work in your country. Who's your next Tony Blair?
    Friends of Israel are very active in the UK, no doubt about that.

I agree with most everything you say, but still: it's a bit disappointing that after some initial, failed efforts to take Netanyahu to task for his recalcitrance, Obama's policy regarding Israel seems to have fallen apart. I find it hard to spot a single significant difference between his and Bush's policies regarding the I/P-conflict, even though Wolfowitz, Feith and the whole silly neo-connery lost their direct access to the levers of power. Of course, AIPAC is as active as ever, but...

I don't think that the US will start a war on Iran in the foreseeable future. The military is overstretched, the US budget even more, and the population is wary of war. Obama is smart enough to realise that the Iranian regime is doomed, and Iranians will take care of it in the not too distant future. An American attack will just delay the inevitable. Of course, were Americans to elect Perry next year, things would change dramatically.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    The USA has held back 200 million dollars of aid to Palestine after she bid at the UN for statehood status.

Palestinians Say U.S. Aid Freeze Underway - TIME
    Not that significant, this is neither the first nor most significant time the US has withheld or placed conditions on its aid (which it is entirely allowed to do for any reason). Under Bush aid was suspended to hospitals which carried out abortions, despite abortions being legal in the US.

By insisting that statehood come through negotiations with Israel, the US is effectively placing that in the hands of Israel who have made it clear they don't want a Palestinian state.
    I don't this has ever been the case in over 60 years. Certainly not recently where the vast majority of Israelis support a Palestinian state and no major political party has opposed it. In fact, the largest damage to the independence of Palestine has been done by its supposed allies, Jordan and Egypt along with others in the Arab League who refused to accept the 1967 borders (and Jordan and Egypt actually annexed more of Palestine than the Israelis ever did).

Therefore any negotiations will be skewed away from providing a solution which may open that door.
    There have been at least two viable solutions to a Palestinian state offered by Israel which were extremely reasonable and were rejected at the last minute by the Palestinians. Considering these rejections and what happened in Gaza when Israel last offered serious peace, I do not see why Israel would have any incentive to continuing offering solutions to be rejected.

Further, what on earth does Israel have to do with allowing a Palestinian state? Just what international power do they hold to stop such a move?
    What international power does China have to stop Taiwan becoming a sovereign state? It's case is even more legitimate than Palestine's. Or what about Kosovo? What right have Serbia and Russia got? What about Tibet?

The fact is that this is a conflict involving at least two sides (more, obviously). Palestine cannot be created unilaterally without more violence which is contrary to the main goal of this entire endeavour. The main goal for the region is not an independent Palestinian state. The main goal is peace, and currently the best means to this end seems to be through a two state solution. Israel, as well as other countries in the region, are crucial partners in establishing both the viability of a Palestinian state (a Palestinian state cut off from Israel will be stillborn), and long term security.

They continue to say they don't control Palestine and yet they are allowed by the ROW to do just that.
    I don't think that claim has ever been made. They certainly don't control Gaza anymore, and many parts of the West Bank do operate quite independently from Israeli security forces.
    Further, Israeal is continuing to build settlements in the West Bank and have no intentions of stopping.
    I am yet to see any legal reason why they should.

This is pure blackmail and another way of containing and controlling Palestine. Rather than supporting Palestine or at the very least being a neutral broker, Obama has capitulated to the Israelis and become their puppet.
    In regards to Obama I will say he has been completely useless in his dealings with both the Israelis and the Palestinians. He has made Israel very uneasy in a time when they are already uneasy about the state of the Middle East, and has not manage to mediate with the Palestinians at all to prevent them from doing something very stupid.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Olde Europe View Post
    Friends of Israel are very active in the UK, no doubt about that.

I agree with most everything you say, but still: it's a bit disappointing that after some initial, failed efforts to take Netanyahu to task for his recalcitrance, Obama's policy regarding Israel seems to have fallen apart. I find it hard to spot a single significant difference between his and Bush's policies regarding the I/P-conflict, even though Wolfowitz, Feith and the whole silly neo-connery lost their direct access to the levers of power. Of course, AIPAC is as active as ever, but...

I don't think that the US will start a war on Iran in the foreseeable future. The military is overstretched, the US budget even more, and the population is wary of war. Obama is smart enough to realise that the Iranian regime is doomed, and Iranians will take care of it in the not too distant future. An American attack will just delay the inevitable. Of course, were Americans to elect Perry next year, things would change dramatically.
    The military being overstretched didn't stop the neocons from trying to start one when Cheney, I mean Bush, was still president.

Adm. William Fallon was forced to resign as head of U.S. Central Command (USCENTCOM) over disagreements pertaining to the administration's Iran war plans.
    Only Fallon's very public disagreement over President Cheney's plan to drum up a war put the skids to it, otherwise we'd all be in another world war. What's to stop these people from another 'mysterious' anthrax attack, the one that finalized the plans for the Iraq war, along with the imprimateur of our great ally, Tony Blair? You think these phuckers won't parlay that into another war that is a 'moral imperative'?

Where's the rest of the Western powers, standing up to Israel and the US? Why must WE always be the ones standing up? Do you have a spine?

Yes, Obama's action is disappointing. Given the political realities here in the US, he's acted as well as he could.

Edited: to add link to Fallon's actions

http://www.globalresearch.ca/PrintAr...articleId=8306

Thanks
    Thanked 1,492 Times in 924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraP View Post
    Where's the rest of the Western powers, standing up to Israel and the US? Why must WE always be the ones standing up? Do you have a spine?

Yes, Obama's action is disappointing. Given the political realities here in the US, he's acted as well as he could.
    I hear you Barb, and you are right insisting that other Western powers ought to do their part, and yes, they fail miserably. On the other hand, the only power with a real lever on Israel would be the US. I doubt I have ever done this before, but at the time being it would be recommendable to look to Turkey for clues how to proceed.

I doubt that Obama couldn't have done more. To tell the least, the withholding of help for Palestinians and the (threat of) veto against Palestinian statehood were at his discretion, and there's no explaining away his unnecessary bow to AIPAC / Israel, as far as I can see.