Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Liam Fox deserve to lose his job?

Major Sinic Guest

Does Liam Fox deserve to lose his job?

Liam Fox claims that he has done nothing wrong, rather like so many MPs before him, and that the current brouhaha is down to no more than an error of judgement on his part. Now I am a Tory voter and given the current alternatives I am less likely to change my allegiance than a wax cat is to have kittens in hell! but it seems to me that errors of judgement of this magnitude rank right up there with other ministerial 'crimes' such as lies to parliament, fraud and gross incompetence. If Dr Liam Fox was unable to grasp in advance how wholly inappropriate his conduct was, then his judgement on other issues must be sufficiently suspect to render him inappropriate as a cabinet minister.

While I may be pre-empting this hurriedly cobbled together inquiry, designed I suspect to try and damage limit this scandal before it grows stronger legs, I think David Cameron should let Dr Liam Fox know that he will accept his resignation. Do I think that this will happen? No I don't, purely because it is not politically expedient! This is not an attack on the Conservative Party or the Government, but against one man who has no right to retain his colleagues' or the electorates' trust in his judgement. That we saw far more Labour Ministers survive more damning 'errors of judgement' does not justify the continuance of low standards of morality, integrity or judgement in public life.

Thanks

Re: Does Liam Fox deserve to lose his job?

Yes he should.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yes he should but no he won't. I think they'll employ the tried-and-tested "wait it out, say all the right things, look apologetic and wait for the next scandal to grab the attention of the mainstream press like a child distracted by a shiny object".

Its worked in the past so well, why change now?
    Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
    E. B. White

"
    To be honest, you think a/c jump the fence, I say the whole college jump the fence"
    The wonder that is Angelcountry
    "If we're going to have a police state, at least orgainise it properly!"
    Guy Outside the Chilcott Enquiry as he was led away by police for causing a 'disturbance' (thanks to LA I now know his name is Michael Culver)

srb7677 Guest

He should resign and I have a suspicion that he may well do so eventually, but only after many days of clinging to office, in which more collateral damage is done to the reputation of the government as a result. This has been the pattern for many years now, under both Major and Blair. Certainly, Labour has form on this as well as the Tories, and should be mindful of glass houses before they start throwing too many stones around.

As to what difference Fox`s resignation will actually make, I suspect very little. He will only be replaced in post by another right wing headbanger: nothing will really change. I suppose, though, that Fox would eventually represent more of a threat to Cameron on the back benches, which is probably why Cameron would be very reluctant to insist upon his resignation. As the somewhat crude but very apt saying goes - it is better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hear hear to the OP.
    He should go. It seems to me ludicrous to suggest that he innocently made a mistake or an error of judgmenet. A senior minister and highly experienced politicial such as Mr Fox is at all times fully aware of the rules, and in his position aware of the nature of secrecy for the sake of national security.
    We had the lies and sleeze of the 90's tory administration, even more lies and corruption with the last lot.......it's time a government showed that it held it's ministers and MP's accountable.
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours ." Steven Roberts

The likelyhood of you being observed is directly proportionate to the stupidity of your actions.

Barack Hussein Obama, the president that got Bin Laden!

janice Guest

He should resign. No question. This is about allowing his office to become tainted regardless of whether he or his friend have done anything worse than breach the ministerial code. Remarkably poor judgement is sufficient.

Separately, I do wonder at why his friend was so spending so much time on all this if he wasn't gaining financially in some way. I mean, doesn't he have a job to do? Very odd.

srb7677 Guest

Today, on The Daily Politics, Chris Grayling, introduced as a personal friend of Liam Fox, was clearly floundering in his defence of him. This was most obvious when it was pointed out to him that in other such circumstances where Labour ministers had breached the ministerial code, he had said that in all such cases the mininister concerned should resign. Today he was reduced to saying that whether breaches of the ministerial code merited resignations depended upon the circumstances. Grayling in fact came across as partisan, shifty, morally dishonest, and prone to double standards.

If this is the best his political friends can do in his defence, Liam Fox should give up the ghost now.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,662 Posts

Didn't Labour allow Alastair Campbell access to all sorts of classified information?

I'm not sure if he should go or not. After reading this thread, I've swatted up on the case as I had not been following it. He seems to have used this Werritty as an advisor admitting him to areas he should not have been in, and access to information he should not.

Is it a sacking offence? ...
    ...What would cap it for me is if any proof is available that Werritty gained a pecuniary advantage from the information he gained.
    As Adam Werritty has "defence-related business interests", that could well be the case.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Didn't Labour allow Alastair Campbell access to all sorts of classified information?

I'm not sure if he should go or not. After reading this thread, I've swatted up on the case as I had not been following it. He seems to have used this Werritty as an advisor admitting him to areas he should not have been in, and access to information he should not.

Is it a sacking offence? ...
    ...What would cap it for me is if any proof is available that Werritty gained a pecuniary advantage from the information he gained.
    As Adam Werritty has "defence-related business interests", that could well be the case.
    Yes labour did give Campbell access to sensitive material, however Campbell had gone though full Enhanced National vetting, something the Torys have now failed to do twice with "advisor's" of one sort or another.
    “Down there are people who will follow any dragon, worship any god, ignore any inequity, all out of a kind of humdrum, everyday badness. Not the really high, creative loathsomeness of the great sinners, but a sort of mass-produced darkness of the soul. Sin, you might say, without a trace of originality. They accept evil not because they say yes, but because they don't say no."

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yes he should go but as this scandal doesn't involve a consenting sexual relationship with a man I don't suppose he will - at least for a few days anyway. Mind you we should point out that thus far there is no evidence Fox has done anything wrong!
    "The people who have sacrificed their view in order to get to the top have very often left no footprints in the sands of time." Tony Benn