Thanks

Question Time 7th July 2011

On the Question Time panel tonight:

• The Conservative Employment Minister Chris Grayling
    • The Labour Shadow Foreign Secretary Douglas Alexander
    • The Liberal Democrat Peer Baroness Shirley Williams
    • The Actor Hugh Grant
    • The Broadcaster and Columnist Jon Gaunt

Apparently all discussion to be on News of the World!

srb7677 Guest

Re: Question Time 7th July 2011

I thought that Hugh Grant spoke very eloquently as the voice of the people in all he said.

Jon Gaunt`s assertion that the tabloids don`t need additional regulation and that the Press Complaints Commission works very well was frankly laughable, and his attack on the personal sex life of Hugh Grant, exposed years ago and wholly irrelevant to the discussion in hand, just plain cheap.

And Chris Grayling`s pathetic squirming as he tried to wriggle out of holding a judicial enquiry was not his finest hour and succeeded only in making himself and the Tories look shifty and unwilling to take meaningful action, an appearance which stinks.

And when Douglas Alexander tried making political capital out of the wholly inadequate Tory response so far, criticising the extent to which they were in Murdoch`s pocket, Hugh Grant scored a blinder by bringing to our attention the fact that Douglas Alexander had himself attended a Murdoch party only three weeks ago!

I very much enjoyed tonight`s Question Time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by srb7677 View Post
    Jon Gaunt`s assertion that the tabloids don`t need additional regulation and that the Press Complaints Commission works very well was frankly laughable, and his attack on the personal sex life of Hugh Grant exposed years ago and wholly irrelevant to the discussion in hand just plain cheap.
    Do you not think that the events of this week has not shown that the public can indeed be a significant force when it comes to regulating the press, then?
    No man can have a right to impose an unchosen obligation, an unrewarded duty or an involuntary servitude on another man. There can be no such thing as “the right to enslave.” - Ayn Rand

srb7677 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Do you not think that the events of this week has not shown that the public can indeed be a significant force when it comes to regulating the press, then?
    They CAN be yes, but generally only in exceptional circumstances. The tabloid press needs to be regulated much more effectively on a regular basis by an organisation with far more teeth than the pathetically inadequate Press Complaints Commission.

Thanks

They CAN be yes, but generally only in exceptional circumstances. The tabloid press needs to be regulated much more effectively on a regular basis by an organisation with far more teeth than the pathetically inadequate Press Complaints Commission.
    Exactly. The public. Who can monitor something as regularly and with more teeth than the people you're counting on to buy your newspaper?
    No man can have a right to impose an unchosen obligation, an unrewarded duty or an involuntary servitude on another man. There can be no such thing as “the right to enslave.” - Ayn Rand

Thanks

I thought that Hugh Grant spoke very eloquently as the voice of the people in all he said.

Jon Gaunt`s assertion that the tabloids don`t need additional regulation and that the Press Complaints Commission works very well was frankly laughable, and his attack on the personal sex life of Hugh Grant, exposed years ago and wholly irrelevant to the discussion in hand, just plain cheap.

And Chris Grayling`s pathetic squirming as he tried to wriggle out of holding a judicial enquiry was not his finest hour and succeeded only in making himself and the Tories look shifty and unwilling to take meaningful action, an appearance which stinks.

And when Douglas Alexander tried making political capital out of the wholly inadequate Tory response so far, criticising the extent to which they were in Murdoch`s pocket, Hugh Grant scored a blinder by bringing to our attention the fact that Douglas Alexander had himself attended a Murdoch party only three weeks ago!

I very much enjoyed tonight`s Question Time.
    A very fair summary srb, I had expected more talk about the NOW would be unbelievably dull, but the show was brought to life by Hugh Grant!
    We need fewer politicians on these shows in future!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Exactly. The public. Who can monitor something as regularly and with more teeth than the people you're counting on to buy your newspaper?
    Someone with the power to shut it down.
    So unproductive has conservatism been in producing a general conception of how a social order is maintained that its modern votaries, in trying to construct a theoretical foundation, invariably find themselves appealing almost exclusively to authors who regarded themselves as liberal. - F.A. Hayek

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

Thanks
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries

If as you say Jon Gaunt thought attacking Hugh Grant over his "indiscretions" was going to get him anywhere he surely did not do his homework.

Mr Grant was invited to a Radio 4 Programme about a week or so ago now in the late afternoon/early evening news slot. The subject was Press freedom and regulation or lack of and Grant was candid about his past and quite illuminating in his views on what sort of dirty tricks the press got up to hoping to make capital of his actions and their impact on others.

I was busy elsewhere yesterday so I did not see the programme but thank you for the heads up I will go fire up "iplayer" or whatever and catch up.

Greg Lance-Watkins Guest

Hi,

I am interest that so many are of the opinion that 'the public' have made a blind bit of difference save accelerate a process that News International had well under way.

Go check the dates on which the various variations on The-Sun-on-Sunday were registered.

It does seem fairly clear that this consolidation has been underway for some time - it is a matter of when was the NotW to close not if.

It is worth noting the attempts of James Murdoch to save his CEO, who has no doubt been privy to the project and the closing of The NotW and its 3 print works, as a way to sidestep costly industrial action and compensation costs with redundancies - prior to this wonderfull ready made excuse being presented.

I see no sign that James Murdoch has stepped forward in defence of anyone other than his CEO which would seem to indicate her hand on sereral of the levers of 'power' and maybe even holding the keys to David Cameron's fragile future as a gambit for her own future.

I have yet to launch my Sun-Day as you will note at CLICK HERE

I am far more concerned with the corruption of The Police than the control of The Fourth Estate and I incline to believe we would be better served by closing The Met and re-establishing the fact that our police are OUR servants and not enforcers for politicians, foreign powers of any other organisation or scam.

To dedicate the whole program to such an inconsequential matter when there are so many matters of consequence in flux - be that various VERY dubious wars, threats to The Falklands, £20Billion given to the French controlled IMF for bail out of the €Uro when Cameron expressly stated he would permit no more money to be transferred to The EU for balilouts, the over staffing and over funding of The NHS as a life style service etc. etc.

Regards,
    Greg_L-W.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lance-Watkins View Post
    Hi,

I am interest that so many are of the opinion that 'the public' have made a blind bit of difference save accelerate a process that News International had well under way.

Go check the dates on which the various variations on The-Sun-on-Sunday were registered.

It does seem fairly clear that this consolidation has been underway for some time - it is a matter of when was the NotW to close not if.

Regards,
    Greg_L-W.
    This is quite an interesting twist on the tale and I confess I came here looking for an opportunity to raise pretty much the same point having spent half an hour listening to, of all things, BBC Radio 4's "The Now Show"

As you might expect, they paraded a whole string of people to take a pop at the news of the week, but they rolled out one chap who spent what felt like an eternity taking the pis out of Murdoch, BSkyB, whatever that woman in charge was called but of course she was innocent because she was on holiday and in any case had another surname then ... and then they dropped their little bombshell. They dug out, and re-ran, the soundtrack of an interview with "that woman" some time back and concentrated on a key part of it where she referred to restructuring at "The Sun" including a move to seven day working.

Now, I do not think the BBC are any more libel-proof than Ian Hislop and I cannot for one moment see Murdoch as one iota less lawsuit-happy than Robert Maxwell

So I too am coming round to conclude that Murdoch had this planned all along for some reason possibly even a sound business one and that this week has allowed him to fold the NOTW as he has wanted to make it looklike he has submitted to the will of the people and ooh isnlt he a nice chap so he's clearly a fit and proper person to run BSkyB ...

What's that ? Cynical ? ME ?? Surely You Jest ....