Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Introduction of Immigration Cap Deemed 'Unlawful'

soloman Guest

Introduction of Immigration Cap Deemed 'Unlawful'

A temporary cap on the number of skilled workers from outside the EU allowed into the UK was introduced "unlawfully", the High Court has ruled.
    Home Secretary Theresa May introduced the cap this summer as an interim measure ahead of a permanent cap.
    But a legal challenge to it was upheld with judges ruling that ministers had "sidestepped" Parliamentary scrutiny.
    The Home Office said this did not imperil its flagship immigration policy but Labour said it was in "chaos".

I believe the Home Office is appealing against this judgement; I hope they succeed!

EMcFarnon Guest

Re: Introduction of Immigration Cap Deemed 'Unlawful'

Interesting stuff. I too hope the Home Office succeeds - I very much agree that there is the need for a temporary cap.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,259 Posts

I wonder who is paying the legal fees of this action against the government?
    New Brexit party seems OK

soloman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I wonder who is paying the legal fees of this action against the government?
    I believe we are, as I think it was the CPS that started the action?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 823 Posts

For once Labour have got something right.Though they wont mention it was their immigration policy that got us into this mess in the first place,Chaos just about sums it up.Even without the intervention of the courts who did the government think was going to take the jobs that are traditionally taken by the unskilled migrant ? Was it to be an unemployed Brit or an Economic migrant from within the EU.
    I think we know the answer to that.While we allow free movement of Millions of Europeans into the UK the tinkering of the few thousand from outside it is meaningless

Midas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by soloman View Post
    I believe we are, as I think it was the CPS that started the action?
    It might have been the CPS who brought the case, but it was initiated by the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants and English Community Care Association, both left wing immigrant associations.

At least the government can reintroduce the cap immediately after the Christmas recess, as Ms. McFarnon says, it's very much needed - and not just temporarily either.

Common Sense Party Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    For once Labour have got something right.Though they wont mention it was their immigration policy that got us into this mess in the first place,Chaos just about sums it up.Even without the intervention of the courts who did the government think was going to take the jobs that are traditionally taken by the unskilled migrant ? Was it to be an unemployed Brit or an Economic migrant from within the EU.
    I think we know the answer to that.While we allow free movement of Millions of Europeans into the UK the tinkering of the few thousand from outside it is meaningless
    Firstly I think the government should have exercised a little common sense and realised that whilst the method in which such a cap was introduced may not have followed procedure, it is necessary all the same and not wasted public funds on one govt. dept. (CPS) suing another. Stupidity!!

Secondly, Streetwalker raises a good point, although immigration from outside the EU is a problem, so is the massive number of migrants from the new (accesion) states. How many Poles, Bulgarians, Hungarians and Romanians for example now live and work in the UK, earning what must be to them HUGE salaries and no doubt sending a far proportion of it home too!!! Correct me if I am wrong but when these new "accession" states joined the EU didnt ALL the other countries in EU put restrictions on them entering their countries to work? And of Course we didn't did we?

Midas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense Party View Post
    Firstly I think the government should have exercised a little common sense and realised that whilst the method in which such a cap was introduced may not have followed procedure, it is necessary all the same and not wasted public funds on one govt. dept. (CPS) suing another. Stupidity!!
    I quite agree, but as with so much new legislation, this was rushed through with seemingly little thought given to either what challenges might be made and how effective (legally speaking) those challenges might be, or to how many aspects of that legislation might encounter very real practical problems in their implementation, as seems to be the case with other legislation introduced by the coalition government.

Secondly, Streetwalker raises a good point, although immigration from outside the EU is a problem, so is the massive number of migrants from the new (accesion) states. How many Poles, Bulgarians, Hungarians and Romanians for example now live and work in the UK, earning what must be to them HUGE salaries and no doubt sending a far proportion of it home too!!! Correct me if I am wrong but when these new "accession" states joined the EU didnt ALL the other countries in EU put restrictions on them entering their countries to work? And of Course we didn't did we?
    I really couldn't comment about what many other states have decided to do with regard to immigration from the newer EU countries, but I do know full well that many other EU member countries routinely and very widely ignore some of the directives, in particular those relating to health and safety where they'd far rather let people use simple common sense, whereas we stick rigidly to the book on them - and I've not seen any adverse effects in any of those countries which do ignore the rules.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think it is nonsense that a government can be taken for court for enacting a policy such as this...
    How the hell is this illegal?
    The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is its inefficiency
    ~ Eugene McCarthy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LA View Post
    I think it is nonsense that a government can be taken for court for enacting a policy such as this...
    How the hell is this illegal?
    Diddnt put it through the correct process of making it law,just said it was