Thread: More Than Just Clubs.(Sport thread)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

More Than Just Clubs.(Sport thread)

Football is the UK's national sport.

We may not always be the best at it, but clubs are an important and integral part of communities, up and down the country, be that big club like Chelsea, or a small one, such as Darlington.

I think it is sad that our clubs, and our football, is being desecrated.

First of all we have various owners of dubious motive buying their way into proud old clubs, treating them like an executive toy.

Then we have an influx of over paid and over rated foreign players, a lot of whom don't settle, nor do they appreciate the history of the club that they are at. Their presence stunts the development of our home grown players.

We have football players who earn amounts that would ordinarily be the reserve of film stars. We have 'agents' who are little more than parasitical crooks, living off the back of the game.

And that is before we even mention how football has been sterilised and rebranded. Rather than 'fans' we have an 'target market', rather than old fashioned terracing (deemed safe in Europe), we have stadiums with no soul, due to being all seated. Rather than a cracking atmosphere, we have a politically correct one, in which little things like singing are frowned upon, and any minor action is seized upon by over zealous police and stewards.

Then there are the costs. To get into an top league game in Scotland is, on average, around 25. What was once a game that people could afford to attend weekly, no longer is. The product isn't value for money either, 25 to get into a game in Scotland? It is cheaper to get into a game in Italy and Germany, and the standard is clearly better.

I feel it is important that more is done to protect clubs, lessen live games, and return the atmosphere. This sterile and almost American football feel that we have to our game, it is alien.

Like I said, clubs are part of an ever eroding community - hence why their cause is more than just a sporting one, it is cultural and it is political.

Jack

Thanks

Re: More Than Just Clubs.(Sport thread)

25 Jack, more like 40 in England, And you are right, football has lost its soul . The lower leagues still retain something of the spirit of the game and where we can still find community clubs

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    25 Jack, more like 40 in England, And you are right, football has lost its soul . The lower leagues still retain something of the spirit of the game and where we can still find community clubs
    Yes, there is truth to what you write about the lower league's, but, even then, haven't we seen mismanagement lead to the very death of some of those clubs, in the past few years? I am sure you could list me a number who have either gone out of business or who have come close to it. This is all down to individuals taking over these clubs, running them down to the ground, SW - and that has to stop. Clubs, imo, should not be owned by individuals, they should be run by the local community.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Napier View Post
    Yes, there is truth to what you write about the lower league's, but, even then, haven't we seen mismanagement lead to the very death of some of those clubs, in the past few years? I am sure you could list me a number who have either gone out of business or who have come close to it. This is all down to individuals taking over these clubs, running them down to the ground, SW - and that has to stop. Clubs, imo, should not be owned by individuals, they should be run by the local community.
    Agreed,Local communities should run their local clubs.Maybe a bit of a pipe dream though

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Agreed,Local communities should run their local clubs.Maybe a bit of a pipe dream though
    There isn't anything preventing local communities from buying the clubs themselves.
    So unproductive has conservatism been in producing a general conception of how a social order is maintained that its modern votaries, in trying to construct a theoretical foundation, invariably find themselves appealing almost exclusively to authors who regarded themselves as liberal. - F.A. Hayek

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesMagique View Post
    There isn't anything preventing local communities from buying the clubs themselves.
    No there isnt,the Madrid council took over Real many years ago.There is I beleve a charge made to all Madrid residents even Athletico supporters..
    Who would put the money up,would it be the Real template and the council,or local buisnessmen.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No there isnt,the Madrid council took over Real many years ago.There is I beleve a charge made to all Madrid residents even Athletico supporters..
    Who would put the money up,would it be the Real template and the council,or local buisnessmen.
    Oh well I completely disagree with that model, a tax to pay for football is completely unjust.
    I think that the best approach would be to form a coalition of fans and business people putting money towards it.
    So unproductive has conservatism been in producing a general conception of how a social order is maintained that its modern votaries, in trying to construct a theoretical foundation, invariably find themselves appealing almost exclusively to authors who regarded themselves as liberal. - F.A. Hayek

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Perhaps. But I believe that most things have a solution, even if it is not immediately obvious, SW.

In Edinburgh, the city council have wasted 100mill chasing a vanity project - the new tram system. It is way behind schedule, no one really wanted it, and the cost will rise and rise.

For that same money, the council could have effectively bought both Hearts & Hibs. Control, through a system that would have to be well thought out, would be handed over to the public, in practice. No one would dream of selling of Edinburgh Castle to a Russian 'businessman' with a dubious history, and quite right - the Castle is an integral part of the city. So too are our clubs, therefore, they merit being given special status.

I think that city councils have sometimes do compulsory purchase orders on properties. Get the lawmakers and UEFA around the table, create a similar law which would compel private club owners to sell to the local authority. The clubs would no longer own their grounds the way that they do now. They would be owned by the community, and made use of, for events, more often.

Limit how many non Brits can be in your starting line up. I suggest three. This would encourage the promotion of more of our young players. Better for the national team, less expensive than some disinterested guy from Trinadad, and, these young players would have sell on value.

Restore the terracing. What happened at Hillsborough, I remember it well, and I have read enough to know that the tragedy was large scale, yet rare, and that the deaths were caused by a combination of fencing and poor policing. Modern designers could easily figure out how to create safe terracing. If the rest of Europ e has standing sections, then we should have them to. Time was you could decide to go to a game on the Sat, and stand beside who you wanted. Not anymore. Because of designated seating, you can end up sitting beside total strangers, for two hours. Doesn't help with the banter or the atmos if you are unfortunate enough to be sat beside some sweetie paper rustler's.

And LESS live games, so that people felt encouraged to attend.