Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Immigration capped at 21,000 - good or bad?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Immigration capped at 21,000 - good or bad?

    The number of skilled workers allowed into the UK from outside the European Economic Area has been capped at 21,700.

    Home Secretary Theresa May revealed details of the cap in a statement to MPs yesterday afternoon.

    Overall, the number of people allowed to come and work in the UK from outside the EU will be cut from around 196,000 to the “tens of thousands”, Mrs May explained.

    The figure is a cut of 6,300 on the equivalent figure for 2009, and is much stricter than the cap of 43,700 recommended by migration advisors last week.

    So how will the cap work?

    To read more, check out my blog at The government announces immigration cap of 21,000 « The Corridors of Power

    What do people think about this? Good/bad? I feel a cap is a bit artificial, and favour the ideas put forward by the Lib Dems in the run-up to the election instead. I also worry the cap will be damaging for business in terms of hiring people, although the government claim to have covered this......

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Immigration capped at 21,000 - good or bad?

    I don't think the issue is so much the numbers, but rather the numbers of people from particular places. IMO it should be more like a tiered system, where at the bottom is countries from which no immigration at all is accepted, then countries which you will need additional checks and additional hurdles, and finally countries from which it is very easier to migrate from. For example I think the top band should be occupied by most Western countries and other modern countries like South Korea, Japan and Taiwan, followed by countries which the UK essentially does not want people from unless they are quite exceptional, like Afghanistan, Turkey, West Africa etc. The last band should really be more of a fluid one which changes with political tides. Like now for instance I would put Yemen and Somalia in that band.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,413
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 42 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Immigration capped at 21,000 - good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    I don't think the issue is so much the numbers, but rather the numbers of people from particular places. IMO it should be more like a tiered system, where at the bottom is countries from which no immigration at all is accepted, then countries which you will need additional checks and additional hurdles, and finally countries from which it is very easier to migrate from. For example I think the top band should be occupied by most Western countries and other modern countries like South Korea, Japan and Taiwan, followed by countries which the UK essentially does not want people from unless they are quite exceptional, like Afghanistan, Turkey, West Africa etc. The last band should really be more of a fluid one which changes with political tides. Like now for instance I would put Yemen and Somalia in that band.
    This would be both impractical and unfair.
    So unproductive has conservatism been in producing a general conception of how a social order is maintained that its modern votaries, in trying to construct a theoretical foundation, invariably find themselves appealing almost exclusively to authors who regarded themselves as liberal. - F.A. Hayek


    Economic Left/Right: 4.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Immigration capped at 21,000 - good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by JacquesMagique View Post
    This would be both impractical and unfair.
    How would it be impractical?

    And as for unfair I think it's unfair that a Japanese physicist has to go through the same process and has the same chance of entering the country as an Afghani poppy farmer does. The process would only make sure that people entering the country would be wanted by Britain.

  5. #5
    Major Sinic Guest

    Re: Immigration capped at 21,000 - good or bad?

    My view is that the only foreign workers who should be allowed to work in Britain are those with unique skills not available from our own work force. We are facing considerable and increasing unemployment of our own work force, who will then claim benefits. It is therefore ludicrous to allow foreign workers to take jobs at the expense of someone who as a result of not obtaining a job taken by a foreign worker, becomes a financial drain on the taxpayer.

    If the above criterion limits foreign workers to a couple of thousand it would not be too few.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,413
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 42 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Immigration capped at 21,000 - good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    How would it be impractical?

    And as for unfair I think it's unfair that a Japanese physicist has to go through the same process and has the same chance of entering the country as an Afghani poppy farmer does. The process would only make sure that people entering the country would be wanted by Britain.
    You're stereotyping people based on their nationality. I don't agree with any controls but it would at least be justified on purely economic grounds if you considered simply their skills and profession rather than prejudicially considering certain nationalities 'undesirable'.

    It would be impractical because I don't think you realise quite how desirable low skilled workers are.
    So unproductive has conservatism been in producing a general conception of how a social order is maintained that its modern votaries, in trying to construct a theoretical foundation, invariably find themselves appealing almost exclusively to authors who regarded themselves as liberal. - F.A. Hayek


    Economic Left/Right: 4.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Somewhere in the Midlands
    Posts
    916
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Immigration capped at 21,000 - good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Sinic View Post
    My view is that the only foreign workers who should be allowed to work in Britain are those with unique skills not available from our own work force. We are facing considerable and increasing unemployment of our own work force, who will then claim benefits. It is therefore ludicrous to allow foreign workers to take jobs at the expense of someone who as a result of not obtaining a job taken by a foreign worker, becomes a financial drain on the taxpayer.
    Exactamundo. Tis worrying how the current climate finds Liberals such as myself agreeing with Tories. Theresa May did say something along the lines of "[the cap] will ensure that only the most needed occupations will have immigrants brought in to fill" which seems a little odd. To me it sounds more like "the first 21,700 will get in regardless, then we shut the doors".

    I guess we'll see.

    If the above criterion limits foreign workers to a couple of thousand it would not be too few.
    Except that in the areas of nursing and scientific occupations we have a massive shortfall of home-grown applicants. I'd like to see how the Tories plan on magicking these British workers out of thin air.
    Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
    E. B. White

    "
    To be honest, you think a/c jump the fence, I say the whole college jump the fence"
    The wonder that is Angelcountry
    "If we're going to have a police state, at least orgainise it properly!"
    Guy Outside the Chilcott Enquiry as he was led away by police for causing a 'disturbance' (thanks to LA I now know his name is Michael Culver)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,183
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 53 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Immigration capped at 21,000 - good or bad?

    I personally oppose the cap, I believe it is far too rigid. I am of the belief that intelligent and rich people should be in the UK; I don't give a crap where they are from, they should be here whether they are doctors, surgeons, scientists and researchers, businessmen or just very wealthy people who want to move their family; and their wealth, to Britain.
    The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is its inefficiency
    ~ Eugene McCarthy

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rutland
    Posts
    603
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Immigration capped at 21,000 - good or bad?

    Another complete farce of an immigration policy. This still doesnt stop the endless stream of immigrants arriving on these shores from europe. If Britain was to open its doors to immigrants it should be from countries which are similar to Britain in terms of immigrants assimilating into society fairly easy. Not from cultures and societies which are so far apart from our own such as Afghanistan or pakistan. Get the Australians, New Zealanders, South Africans and Americans if we really need to.
    Vote BNP

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In a pub
    Posts
    7,506
    Thanks
    737
    Thanked 758 Times in 584 Posts

    Re: Immigration capped at 21,000 - good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Sinic View Post
    My view is that the only foreign workers who should be allowed to work in Britain are those with unique skills not available from our own work force. We are facing considerable and increasing unemployment of our own work force, who will then claim benefits. It is therefore ludicrous to allow foreign workers to take jobs at the expense of someone who as a result of not obtaining a job taken by a foreign worker, becomes a financial drain on the taxpayer.

    If the above criterion limits foreign workers to a couple of thousand it would not be too few.
    Its all about training our workforce in unique skills that are lacking.With the rest of your post Major I concure. Untill we are out of the EU the immigration problem wont go away.With the Euro going tits up and living standards falling in many Euro countries we can expect another invasion of Europeans at the first sign that the UK is recovering. And thats before we start to talk about Turkey and Albania

Similar Threads

  1. Drain on Britain's brain power? Immigration capped at 21,000
    By EMcFarnon in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-11-2010, 05:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •