Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pike River Mine disaster

Thanks

Pike River Mine disaster

Politics will even come into the aftermath of this very sad event.
    A further explosion has now lowered any hopes of getting the 29 men out alive.

New Zealand mine explosion: all miners believed dead after huge second blast - Telegraph

The Police officer in charge of the rescue, Supt Gary Knowles came over as an arrogant, confrontational man. Was he a help or a hindrance?
    I wonder if it will be long before government heads roll over the handling of this rescue.
    Save us all 22,000,000 a day. Leave the EU.

Thanks

Re: Pike River Mine disaster

Hi Barry. I would like to say that this sort of accident should always be adverted. After all we have the tech to prevent these incidents.

I guess politics come into play when everyone is trying to cover their asses.

It is a shame when you think about it, because it was probably preventable IMO.

Thanks

I think a nation that allows a 17 year old down the pit is morally bankrupt, this is an awfull event, worse still for the age of the youngest miner. I hope this event drives some age restrictions in NZ, I am horrified that none are in place already, it is a disgrace!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I think a nation that allows a 17 year old down the pit is morally bankrupt, this is an awfull event, worse still for the age of the youngest miner. I hope this event drives some age restrictions in NZ, I am horrified that none are in place already, it is a disgrace!
    I agree somewhat. 17 year olds are trying to figure out what they want to do in life, so to be interested in mining is not a bad thing. You could imagine a 17 year old wanting to get involved in the operations if given a chance. It comes down to the mine owners and their safety procedures.

It is obvious to me that current safety regulations are lacking big time, and need to be updated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

The Police officer in charge of the rescue, Supt Gary Knowles came over as an arrogant, confrontational man. Was he a help or a hindrance?
    I wonder if it will be long before government heads roll over the handling of this rescue.
    How thick are you, seriously dude?

The foreign press that turned up were full of idiots who even though they knew nothing about mine rescues, kept second guessing the people running the operation, even though the operation was run by experts from around NZ and the world, including the hugely respected mine rescue teams from Australia.

Why would heads role in govt? The event was handled exactly as it should have been.
    Why can't Jesus eat M&Ms?
    Because they keep falling through the holes in his hands!

Jesus may love you, but he won't respect you in the morning.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Durzo Blint View Post

It is a shame when you think about it, because it was probably preventable IMO.
    Considering the investigation has yet to start, I would love to know what specific knowledge that no-one else has available to them allows you to make that statement.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I don't know what mining is like in the UK (presumably exactly the same as it was in Victorian England), elsewhere it is high-tech and very safe. How is my nation morally bankrupt simply because 17 year old's can work?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi 1691 View Post
    I don't know what mining is like in the UK (presumably exactly the same as it was in Victorian England), elsewhere it is high-tech and very safe. How is my nation morally bankrupt simply because 17 year old's can work?
    The Mining Industry in the UK is none existent, whilst it was in evidence under the NCB or after privatisation it was perhaps the safest mining operation in the world, the lack of work related deaths in the pit are evidence of this.

A Gas explosion is an avoidable hazard if the proper safety methods are applied, I am no expert in Mining but I have some understanding of the risks having lived in Barnsley for some years and hearing the old boys talking about it.

To send a 17 year old down the pit is just plain wrong, same as sending a 17 year old to war is wrong, the risks are too great and a Minor is unable to make the proper judgement to asses the risk in becoming a Miner. There should be strict age limits on who can go down the pit, at least 21 in my opinion, the same for entering ther Military or the police/fire services.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Durzo Blint View Post
    I agree somewhat. 17 year olds are trying to figure out what they want to do in life, so to be interested in mining is not a bad thing. You could imagine a 17 year old wanting to get involved in the operations if given a chance. It comes down to the mine owners and their safety procedures.

It is obvious to me that current safety regulations are lacking big time, and need to be updated.
    For any Job that entails such a high risk one would need to be able to make a full risk assesment of the job and if you were willing to take that risk, a 17 year old is too young to make such a decision, perhaps a 21 year old may have a little more maturity to enable him to make an informed choice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi 1691 View Post
    Considering the investigation has yet to start, I would love to know what specific knowledge that no-one else has available to them allows you to make that statement.
    Underground gasses are easy to detect, many devices are available to monitor the levels of dangerous gas in a tunnel/Mine.
    The simplest is a unit carried by each individual working in the Tunnel/mine, it is made by BW tech it measures Carbon Monoxide, Oxygen, Hydrogen sulphate and LELs(explosive gasses), it clips onto the belt of the worker and emits an audio visual alert when gas levels become dangerously high or (In the case of Oxygen) low. This is a personal device it is Bright Yellow and Miners nickname it " a Canary".
    Larger scale sensors are used in the workings of a mine and would normally be monitoring the entire mine, including abandoned workings.Safe areas underground should also be in place( as in the Chilean mine ) as should "self rescue devices" to enable a miner to breath safe air whilst attempting an escape or awaithing rescue. Yes the technology exists, but is it used?