Thread: Break the banks legally

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Break the banks legally

Eric Cantona ex Man-United striker has come up with novel idea to tame the banks, he proposes that banking clients could hit back by withdrawing all of their savings.
    If three million people who will be expected to demonstrate on the streets with draw their savings, it could bring the banks to their knees. Fancy a bank with no money, It's worse then a pub with no beer.

Are any affluent members of the forum booking juggernauts to collect their deposits, and play their part in this action?

Eric Cantona's call for bank protest sparks online campaign | World news | The Observer
    Advocates of capitalism believe : "The fortunate must not be restrained in the exercise of tyranny over the unfortunate"

Thanks

Re: Break the banks legally

Most ridiculous and pathetic idea in HISTORY. It was people removing their money from banks that caused the collapse on Wall St in 1929 that resulted in the global crash. People removing money from Northern Rock is what caused the bank to get into difficulties due to speculative press reports about the state of the bank following the revelations about the toxic markets in the Housing markets of the US and their exposure to the issues.

All this would do is cause another economic meltdown that would destroy the lives of everyday people. I respected Eric Cantana, now I just think he is a blessed fool who should keep his mouth firmly shut on matters he does not understand.
    Left for a place without a childish and spite filled Moderator with a Hitler complex. A place of democracy and common sense where questions can be asked with a Mod getting their knickers in a twist because they lack confidence and are on a power trip.

bet this gets edited. Take care all the decent people here. have fun.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Franklin View Post
    Most ridiculous and pathetic idea in HISTORY. It was people removing their money from banks that caused the collapse on Wall St in 1929 that resulted in the global crash. People removing money from Northern Rock is what caused the bank to get into difficulties due to speculative press reports about the state of the bank following the revelations about the toxic markets in the Housing markets of the US and their exposure to the issues.

All this would do is cause another economic meltdown that would destroy the lives of everyday people. I respected Eric Cantona, now I just think he is a blessed fool who should keep his mouth firmly shut on matters he does not understand.
    Alright Jim don't get out of your pram, while Eric might be serious, it was a tongue-in-cheek post. I just wondered how many juggernauts would be needed to withdraw the deposits of some affluent Tory supporters of the forum?
    Advocates of capitalism believe : "The fortunate must not be restrained in the exercise of tyranny over the unfortunate"

Thanks
    Blog Entries

His quotes in the article do hit upon a truth at the heart of the issue of popular protest in all contemporary western societies - waving a placard in the street doesn't change jack s**t. Until there is fundamental reform within the democratic processes of these societies aimed at re-striking the balance between representative and direct democracy more towards direct democracy, these kinds of suggestions (who knows which, if any, will be taken up by the masses?) - specific targeted action aimed at damaging the machinery of both the state, and the unaccountable institutions that hold much power (i.e. banks) over public policy - will become far more commonplace.

This particular suggestion isn't like to get off the ground for a fair number of reasons, not least of which being that it serves no purpose other than to harm the institutions the French have come to dislike. Wedded to something more constructive - a new policy perhaps, or a demand for a different financial system altogether from the people - the actions proposed could wield tremendous power to sweep the old system away.
    "Government by the people for the people becomes meaningless unless it includes major economic decision-making by the people for the people." - Jimmy Reid

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Expounder View Post
    Alright Jim don't get out of your pram, while Eric might be serious, it was a tongue-in-cheek post. I just wondered how many juggernauts would be needed to withdraw the deposits of some affluent Tory supporters of the forum?

Why did you take my reply personal, I was commenting on the idea not the post. Take a chill pill and remove that pole before you can clean your teeth from the inside..
    Left for a place without a childish and spite filled Moderator with a Hitler complex. A place of democracy and common sense where questions can be asked with a Mod getting their knickers in a twist because they lack confidence and are on a power trip.

bet this gets edited. Take care all the decent people here. have fun.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Franklin View Post
    Why did you take my reply personal, I was commenting on the idea not the post. Take a chill pill and remove that pole before you can clean your teeth from the inside..
    Your post seemed very uptight about a theoretical Idea which would never get of the ground I was surprised you took it so serious a tone.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Why would I do that?
    The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is its inefficiency
    ~ Eugene McCarthy