Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lord Young quits.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Lord Young quits.

A senior adviser to David Cameron quit today after sparking outrage by declaring Britons had never had it so good.
    Lord Young of Graffham resigned this lunchtime over the crass remarks, which led to a storm of protest.
    David Cameron had earlier stopped short of ousting him from Government but had declared he would be doing a 'bit less speaking in future'.
    But the Tory peer decided to walk after seeing the horrified response from critics today.

A Westminster source said: 'Lord Young has reflected on the reaction and doesn't want to do anything to cause problems for the Government.'
    The Prime Minister's spokesman added: 'He offered his resignation and the Prime Minister accepted it.'
    She stressed that Lord Young had done some 'very, very good work' in his spell at Downing Street.

In an extraordinary interview, the multi-millionaire - who was trade secretary under Margaret Thatcher - had said people complaining about the cutbacks 'think they have a right for the state to support them'.
    And he added that low interest rates meant ‘for the vast majority in the country today, they have never had it so good ever since this recession – this so-called recession – started’.

Read more: Lord Young quits as Cameron's adviser after Britain 'has never had it so good' | Mail Online

What was Cameron thinking having this Thatcherite dinosour as an advisor in the first place? My guess his comments reprisent accurately tory cynisism about the plight of the less well off.
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours ." Steven Roberts

The likelyhood of you being observed is directly proportionate to the stupidity of your actions.

Barack Hussein Obama, the president that got Bin Laden!

Thanks

Re: Lord Young quits.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveUK View Post
    A senior adviser to David Cameron quit today after sparking outrage by declaring Britons had never had it so good.
    Lord Young of Graffham resigned this lunchtime over the crass remarks, which led to a storm of protest.
    David Cameron had earlier stopped short of ousting him from Government but had declared he would be doing a 'bit less speaking in future'.
    But the Tory peer decided to walk after seeing the horrified response from critics today.

A Westminster source said: 'Lord Young has reflected on the reaction and doesn't want to do anything to cause problems for the Government.'
    The Prime Minister's spokesman added: 'He offered his resignation and the Prime Minister accepted it.'
    She stressed that Lord Young had done some 'very, very good work' in his spell at Downing Street.

In an extraordinary interview, the multi-millionaire - who was trade secretary under Margaret Thatcher - had said people complaining about the cutbacks 'think they have a right for the state to support them'.
    And he added that low interest rates meant ‘for the vast majority in the country today, they have never had it so good ever since this recession – this so-called recession – started’.

Read more: Lord Young quits as Cameron's adviser after Britain 'has never had it so good' | Mail Online

What was Cameron thinking having this Thatcherite dinosour as an advisor in the first place? My guess his comments reprisent accurately tory cynisism about the plight of the less well off.
    He has been a great advisor in the past and way exceeds any of the idiots put up by Labour to perform the same task.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

He shouldn't have been allowed to resign.
    The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is its inefficiency
    ~ Eugene McCarthy

Thanks

I do not know who Lord Young is, but that sure was a flippant comment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LA View Post
    He IS 78 years old - time he retired, don't you think? Regardless of what he said.
    Save us all £22,000,000 a day. Leave the EU.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    He IS 78 years old - time he retired, don't you think? Regardless of what he said.
    Nope... when talking about the Lords, age is irrelevant. Most of them are 400 years old.
    The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is its inefficiency
    ~ Eugene McCarthy

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soloman View Post
    He has been a great advisor in the past and way exceeds any of the idiots put up by Labour to perform the same task.
    Whether or not you feel his past achievements (of which I can't name a single one) should be taken into account or not, he has managed at a stroke to alienate himself from the vast majority of the British public by essentially belittling their plight. He is now therefore a neutered figure.
    "Government by the people for the people becomes meaningless unless it includes major economic decision-making by the people for the people." - Jimmy Reid

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LA View Post
    If Cameron hadn't accepted (and probably demanded) his resignation, his government would be forever associated with the totally warped and unreal view of society that Lord Young cast light upon with his commentary. I'd estimate that sticking by Lord Young would have shortened the life of the coalition by at least 2 years.
    "Government by the people for the people becomes meaningless unless it includes major economic decision-making by the people for the people." - Jimmy Reid

Thanks

There is something quite unpallatable about sacking someone who was simply speaking quite frankly and honestly about a subject. It reminds me of when Cameron sacked patrick mercer for saying that being called a “black *******” was part-and-parcel of life in the armed forces. I fear we have lost quite a rare breeed of politician here. He never took a salary from when he first came into Thatchers cabinet in the eighties. He has been reforming the the ridiculous health and safety regulations and was currently working on cutting the red tape surrounding small firms.

Plus there was an element of truth to what he said. Although i guess the people who are having pay freezes, pensioners who rely on higher interest rates and the 490,000 people who are about to lose their jobs would disagree. Another sad day for politics IMO.
    Vote BNP

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAMC View Post
    Whether or not you feel his past achievements (of which I can't name a single one) should be taken into account or not, he has managed at a stroke to alienate himself from the vast majority of the British public by essentially belittling their plight. He is now therefore a neutered figure.
    I thought he must have slipped up and meant he and his millionaire friends have never had it so good.
    Advocates of capitalism believe : "The fortunate must not be restrained in the exercise of tyranny over the unfortunate"