Thread: Government publishes Whitehall spending data to increase transparency

Thanks

Government publishes Whitehall spending data to increase transparency

The government has published the biggest and most comprehensive spending data in British history, as details of all Whitehall spending over £25,000 become available to all.

In an attempt to make government more transparent, £80 billion of expenditure -195,000 lines of data – has been published.

From today, anyone and everyone will be able to see each transaction by any of the 24 core departments, detailing every item of spending over £25,000. Some departments, including Communities and Local Government, have decided to release data on payments over £500.

A total of 157 spreadsheets, this is the latest in a series of data publishing by the government. Cameron hopes unveiling this data will help make Britain the most “open, accountable and transparent governments there is.”

Cabinet Office Minister, Francis Maude, said: “When you open up the books, let people start to do some auditing of their own, I think there will be a great deal of pressure on government to use money......

You can read the rest of my post on my blog

Government releases Whitehall spending data « The Corridors of Power

For anyone who wants to check out the data for themselves, the Guardian have created a fantastic app to help understand it:
    Government spending over £25,000: download the data and help analyse it with our new app | News | guardian.co.uk

Thanks

Re: Government publishes Whitehall spending data to increase transparency

Quote Originally Posted by EMcFarnon View Post
    The government has published the biggest and most comprehensive spending data in British history, as details of all Whitehall spending over £25,000 become available to all.

In an attempt to make government more transparent, £80 billion of expenditure -195,000 lines of data – has been published.

From today, anyone and everyone will be able to see each transaction by any of the 24 core departments, detailing every item of spending over £25,000. Some departments, including Communities and Local Government, have decided to release data on payments over £500.

A total of 157 spreadsheets, this is the latest in a series of data publishing by the government. Cameron hopes unveiling this data will help make Britain the most “open, accountable and transparent governments there is.”

Cabinet Office Minister, Francis Maude, said: “When you open up the books, let people start to do some auditing of their own, I think there will be a great deal of pressure on government to use money......

You can read the rest of my post on my blog

Government releases Whitehall spending data « The Corridors of Power

For anyone who wants to check out the data for themselves, the Guardian have created a fantastic app to help understand it:
    Government spending over £25,000: download the data and help analyse it with our new app | News | guardian.co.uk
    What a brilliant idea; something Labour could never manage; they love to conduct dubious deals (aircraft carriers?) behind closed doors especially when they stitch up any government taking over?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soloman View Post
    What a brilliant idea; something Labour could never manage; they love to conduct dubious deals (aircraft carriers?) behind closed doors especially when they stitch up any government taking over?
    I think you'll find that the dodgy private deals, waste etc has continued under Cameron......

There is also an alarming amount of waste. Among the most shocking is £170,000 on bottled water for tax inspectors, £26,302 for spies to have a session on 'difficult conversations', £10,000 for refreshments for a two-day conference for the DCLG and £38,461 for fitness programmes for overweight executives at the MoD - surely they could just have been put through their own boot camp for free.

There are also obscure deals which cost us a surprising amount. So, for example, Eton has been paid £40,000 for working with state schools and £6.6 million was spent on free coal for ex-miners. That sounds like an awful lot of coal.

David Cameron, meanwhile, spent £55,000 renovating his offices after his election... which doesn't sound much like a man who thinks we're all in this together.

Odd payments
    There are also expenditures that reveal just how much bad management is costing the government - including a £35,381 bill for bank charges for the MoD in one month alone. That's just embarrassing. We've all made mistakes with banks that have cost us a bit - but £35,000 - that's a really bad day at the office.

There is also some really odd sounding spending. The Equality and Human Rights Commission spent £750 on the nightclub Tiger Tiger for a meeting, and The Department for Communities and Local Government spent £8,831.46 at the Institute of Directors on sandwiches, biscuits, flip charts and hire of equipment. Whatever happened to bringing your own lunch to a meeting in the office like the rest of us?

Of course the government is still trying to pass the buck, with 'sources' blaming the fact it had inherited the spending and was forced to continue it.

Government spending figures reveal we're trapped in waste - Walletpop UK
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours ." Steven Roberts

The likelyhood of you being observed is directly proportionate to the stupidity of your actions.

Barack Hussein Obama, the president that got Bin Laden!

Thanks

If it aids greater transparency I'm all for it. But will the majority be able to really understand the data? It's quite overwhelming.....

Thanks

I saw an article on this on the news this morning.
    It is an incredibly large amount of raw data, in an Excel file, without any proper detail and context, - makes it very difficult to make an informed opinion.
    Save us all £22,000,000 a day. Leave the EU.